Connect with us

Sports

‘Miracle on Ice’ legend Jim Craig praises this year’s USA Olympic team

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

In an interview with Fox News Digital earlier this year, “Miracle on Ice” goaltender Jim Craig said he hoped this year’s United States Olympic men’s hockey team would show “that same commitment” his 1980 squad had. Well, this team has won him over.

In an Instagram post showing the celebration from the U.S.’s overtime win over Sweden in the quarterfinals, Craig praised this year’s Olympic team as it geared up for a gold medal game against Canada on Sunday.

“You can feel it. The preparation. The poise. The response when it matters most,” Craig wrote.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM 

Jim Craig

Jim Craig celebrates Team USA’s win over USSR on Feb. 22, 1980.  (Disney General Entertainment Content via Getty Images)

“Great teams don’t chase history – they create it. The 1980 team proved what belief can do. This group has that same edge. Different names on the back. Same name on the front. That crest carries history. It carries sacrifice. It carries belief.

“Congratulations on the win, @usahockey. One more.”

When Craig played in the Olympics, NHL players were not allowed to participate. Craig was all for having the “best athletes in the world” compete, but on one condition.

Advertisement

“I just hope that they have that same commitment that the amateurs had, right? That what’s the most important thing isn’t their brand, or where they play. It’s about representing their country, and it’s not about themselves,” Craig said to Fox News Digital last month. 

USA huddles after win

Quinn Hughes of Team United States celebrates with teammates after scoring a goal in overtime during the Men’s Quarterfinals Playoff match between the United States and Sweden on day 12 of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic games at Milano Santagiulia Ice Hockey Arena on Feb. 18, 2026, in Milan, Italy.  (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

TEAM USA TO BATTLE CANADA FOR OLYMPIC GOLD AFTER DOMINANT PERFORMANCE AGAINST SLOVAKIA

“That’s what I’m really proud of our teammates that we were able to do. It wasn’t about who’s going to get the best contract, where are you going, how much money are you going to make? It was about what was really important, and that’s representing your country.”

For Craig, last year’s 4 Nations Face-Off proved as such, but clearly for Craig, this team has confirmed it.

Advertisement

“You can be politically correct all you want, but you can see how unpolitically correct those teams were,” Craig said about the 4 Nations squads. with a laugh. “Canada wanted to win, and the USA wanted to win, and you can even see the way that Canada has picked their team [this year]. I mean, their team now isn’t just the greatest athletes. It’s an ingredient of things that it’s going to take to beat the United States.

Read More About The 2026 Winter Olympics

“They’re tougher, there’s players that, like Herb [Brooks] said, ‘I’m not looking for the best players, I’m looking for the right players.’ I really think now when they go into the Olympic Games, it isn’t who the highest scorer is. They’re really looking for something that’s going to be helping them win, and that’s something Herb did a long time ago.”

Team USA celebrates goal

United States’ Tage Thompson, second right, celebrates with his teammates after scoring his side’s fourth goal during a preliminary round game of men’s ice hockey between the United States and Germany at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

The puck will drop for gold at 8:10 a.m ET on Sunday — the 46th anniversary of the “Miracle on Ice.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

NFL fans react as Chargers sign $38,000,000 star’s brother as RB coach

Published

on

The Los Angeles Chargers have undergone a coaching overhaul this offseason, following a second consecutive postseason exit in the wild-card round in 2025.

The Chargers announced the hiring of eight new coaches on Friday with San Francisco 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey‘s brother Max being hired as the running backs coach.

NFL fans reacted to the 49ers running back’s brother joining the Chargers’ coaching staff.

“Nepo hire.”

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Advertisement

“How much help does Justin Herbert need?”

How much help does Justin Herbert need?

“Mccaffery at running backs coach !! Great signing. This year, running backs are having going to have a great year!”

Mccaffery at running backs coach !! Great signing. This year, running backs are having going to have a great year!

“One polar bear but overall very positive outlook for the season so ill overlook it.”

One polar bear but overall very positive outlook for the season so ill overlook it

“Nice overhaul of the offense. Now lets go see some improvement in the roster and on field play.”

Nice overhaul of the offense. Now lets go see some improvement in the roster and on field play.

Advertisement

Max, who was wide receiver for the 49ers during his brief playing career, was hired as the Miami Dolphins‘ offensive assistant in March 2023. Meanwhile, Christian is on a $38,000,000 contract with the 49ers.

The Chargers announced the following hires on Friday:

“Butch Barry (offensive line), Julian Campenni (assistant defensive line), Rob Everett (offensive assistant), Adam Gase (pass game specialist), Chandler Henley (tight ends), Denzel Martin (assistant outside linebackers), Max McCaffrey (running backs), and Sean Spence (linebackers).”

Also Read: “I’m a psychopath”: Christian McCaffrey spills the beans on his unique routine after “snitch” Fred Warner lets 49ers RB’s secret out

Also Read: Christian McCaffrey opens up about accepting Deebo Samuel back as star WR heads into free agency

Advertisement