Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana said “nothing changes” and “people are never punished” after he and Burnley’s Hannibal Mejbri were sent racist abuse following Saturday’s 1-1 draw.
Both players were targets of online attacks in the hours after the Premier League match at Stamford Bridge and shared images of messages they had been sent privately over Instagram.
It came days after Uefa began an investigation into claims by Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior that he was racially abused on the pitch by Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni during a Champions League game in Lisbon.
Wesley Fofana said ‘nothing changes’ after he was racially abused online on Saturday (PA Wire)
On Saturday night, Fofana – who had been sent off late in the game in west London for two yellow cards – posted screenshots of messages he had been sent and wrote on Instagram: “2026, it’s still the same thing, nothing changes. These people are never punished.
Advertisement
“You create big campaigns against racism, but nobody actually does anything.”
Mejbri had earlier also shared abusive messages he had received and wrote on his Instagram story: “It’s 2026 and there are still people like that. Educate yourself and your kids, please.”
Chelsea said the abuse “is completely unacceptable and runs counter to the values of the game and everything we stand for as a club,” and that “there is no room for racism”.
A club statement added: “We stand unequivocally with Wes. He has our full support, as do all our players who are too often forced to endure this hatred simply for doing their job.
Advertisement
Chelsea’s Wesley Fofana (right) was targeted after the 1-1 draw against Burnley (Ben Whitley/PA)
“We will work with the relevant authorities and platforms in identifying the perpetrators and take the strongest possible action.”
Burnley said: “There is no place for this in our society and we condemn it unreservedly.”
Football’s response to allegations of racism has been heavily scrutinised in recent days following the incident in Lisbon.
Advertisement
Benfica boss Jose Mourinho in his post-match comments accused Vinicius of provoking what happened while the Portuguese club claimed there was a defamation campaign against their player.
The match on Tuesday was halted for 10 minutes early in the second half after Vinicius refused to return to the pitch after becoming suddenly and visibly upset with something apparently said to him by Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt during the incident.
The defender was dismissed in the 72nd minute for a second booking after making a late challenge on James Ward-Prowse.
Advertisement
Earlier, Joao Pedro had scored in the fourth minute to seemingly put Liam Rosenior’s side on course of victory but as so often this season under successive managers they lacked killer instinct and failed to finish off Scott Parker’s struggling team.
The progressive stayer Piggyback has opened doors to Group One weight-for-age contests this autumn in 2026 courtesy of a sharp triumph in the Parramatta Cup held at Rosehill.
Johann Gerard-Dubord, assistant trainer to Ciaron Maher, highlighted a range of choices for the five-year-old, including an entry in the Tancred Stakes (2400m) at the same track on March 28.
“But she likes Rosehill, so a race like the Tancred would have to be considered now.
Advertisement
“She had no weight today, so it’s a bit different, weight-for-age (in the Tancred Stakes), but she stays, and we don’t know how much better she can be.”
Ridden by Dylan Gibbons, the $3.10 favourite Piggyback took time to warm up from behind before delivering a precise move to edge out Bois D’Argent ($61) by a short neck, leaving Travolta ($4.20) half a neck adrift in third.
Gibbons confessed to overcoming the desire for a forward position, heeding the advice that she excels when ridden patiently.
“Before I chatted to the team, I thought this was going to be pretty simple, just put her in the box seat and ride her like a good thing,” Gibbons said.
Advertisement
“But the team knows this mare so well, and they told me she appreciates being back that couple of pairs, then being given the chance to finish off.
“It took everything in me not to give her a squeeze early and have her too close.”
The jockey drew comparisons between Piggyback and Maher’s 2023 Sydney Cup winner Explosive Jack, noting her suitability for the classic staying distance.
“I think she will run 3200m. She has a great attitude, she has that same big, gangly action of Explosive Jack. She settles well, and she is trained by the same camp, so she is in the right hands,” Gibbons said.
Advertisement
Throughout her career, Piggyback has shown glimpses of talent, with Gerard-Dubord crediting a short sharp Queensland excursion last spring as her breakthrough.
“She did really well last prep, especially towards the end of it,” he said.
“She went to Brisbane and the trip away, mentally she had to take it up that next level, and on the back of that she won the Colin Stephen Quality.
“She is still on the way up.”
Advertisement
Discover racing betting markets for Piggyback’s Tancred Stakes prospects among leading betting sites at racing betting markets.
Manchester United will look to avenge one of its more embarrassing losses in recent memory when they visit Everton in an English Premier League matchup on Monday. Man U sit fourth in the Premier League table and have won four of their last five EPL matches. Everton is coming off a 2-1 loss to Bournemouth.
Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. ET on Monday, Feb. 23. Everton are +260 underdogs (wager $100 to win $260) in the latest Everton vs. Manchester United odds on DraftKings Sportsbook, while Manchester United are -105 favorites (wager $105 to win $100). A draw is +285 and the total is 2.5 (Over -145, Under +115). You can find the latest Everton vs. Manchester United predictions from the SportsLine Projection Model, and be sure to see what SportsLine expert Jon Eimer is betting before locking in your wagers for this contest.
Eimer finished 2023 as SportsLine’s No. 1 soccer expert, posting a 248-234-12 record (+25.93 units) on SportsLine article picks. Eimer has been red-hot in 2025, posting a profit in multiple leagues, including the Premier League, Champions League, La Liga and more. Anyone following his soccer betting picks could have seen huge returns at sportsbooks and on betting apps.
Advertisement
Here are Eimer’s best bets and analysis for Everton vs. Manchester United on Monday.
Everton vs. Manchester United best bets
Manchester United Over 1.5 team total (-120): 1 unit, BetMGM
Both teams to score + Over 2.5 goals (+100): 1 unit, BetMGM
Manchester United want revenge
The reverse fixture between these two sides saw Manchester United experience one of their more embarrassing defeats this season. United faced Everton at home only to see midfielder Idrissa Gueye receive a red card in the 13th minute for Everton. United played a man up for a total of 85 minutes and ended up not only losing, but failing to score in their 1-0 defeat. Manchester United were the talk of the news cycle that week as they were dragged through the mud for their inability to produce a result, and that should be on the back of their mind in this fixture.
Even though United just drew against West Ham, they’ve been in fantastic form in the new year, and I expect them to press against an Everton side missing their best attacker and a key defender.
Everton have shown some serious signs of improvement this season. The club finished 15th two years ago, 13th last season and are currently positioned safely at eighth on the EPL table right now. While the club has found some success, their defense in the new year does have me a bit concerned as they face a strong United attack.
Advertisement
They’ve played eight matches in 2026 and only a single time were they able to keep a clean sheet. They’ve conceded 11 goals over those six matches, and going against United they’ll be without a senior defender, Jake O’Brien, who was sent off with a red card last match in their loss to Bournemouth, which will put more pressure on Jarrad Branthwaite and James Tarkowski to hold that backline. Everton is good enough to score here with Dewsbury-Hall and lliman Ndiaye in form, but expect that defense to let some through.
Here’s an up-to-date list of all NFL Players from Granite High School, Salt Lake City, Utah. The school was closed in 2009 and the building demolished in 2017 to make way for a new residential development.
The list includes only those players who have played in an NFL game.
See where it ranks among other schools in the state here.
Heading into the bout, many fans saw the match-up as a 50-50 affair, but ‘King Ry’ ensured it went nothing like that as he scored a knockout in the opening moments of the fight and then dominated virtually every round.
Advertisement
Following his victory, Garcia was quick to announce that he is now interested in a showdown against four-weight world champion Stevenson, and it seems the WBO super-lightweight champion was impressed with what he saw from his potential future foe.
Speaking on the DAZN broadcast, Stevenson praised the showing from Garcia, likening it to one of the past displays from ‘King Ry.’
“I think Ryan looked good. He put on a good performance.
I don’t know what Barrios was doing out there. Ryan was looking like the Ryan that beat Devin Haney.”
Garcia had beaten Haney back in April 2024, only for the result to be overturned to a no contest after he failed a drugs test and subsequently received a 12-month ban.
Advertisement
Stevenson has said he would be more than happy to face ‘King Ry’ next, but whilst referencing that past failed test, he insisted that VADA testing would have to be in place for the bout, and also revealed the weight stipulation that he would want.
Marc Guehi could have sealed a move to Liverpool last summer but instead he finds himself playing a key role in Manchester City’s push to reclaim their Premier League crown.
Marc Guehi has admitted he has had to “change his game completely” since his move to Manchester City but that he is loving life at the Etihad. Guehi moved to City in the mid-season transfer window and has made a seamless transition to life under Pep Guardiola.
Guehi hasn’t missed a minute of Premier League football since his switch the the Etihad and has already cemented his place as a first-choice pick in City’s backline.
Advertisement
The former Crystal Palace defender played the full 90 minutes as City secured what could be a crucial three points against Newcastle on Saturday night. Guehi was asked to reflect on his opening month at the club after the game and he admitted he has had to make a lot of changes but the switch has helped him grow as a player.
“It’s a top club. Since I came here, everyone has been so welcoming – players and staff,” Guehi told City’s in-house media. “ I have had to change my game completely. I am learning every day.
“When to pass the ball, committing players – so many aspects I am learning on the job. It’s been great because I have had a lot of help. How you see Pep on TV is what he is like – passionate, intense and a winner. He wants to play his way. I am just glad I have the opportunity to be here.”
City’s win over Newcastle kept the pressure on Arsenal at the top of the Premier League table. Guardiola’s side know if they win all of their remaining league games they will be crowned champions and Guehi was delighted to help his team record three points against an in-form Newcastle.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings
“These games are always difficult – always tough to play in,” he added. “Newcastle show intensity, endeavour and quality – it’s a really good win. Maybe not a statement win but one which puts us in a good position.”
Offaly’s Darragh Kenny and Eddy Blue won the $116,100 Adequan® CSI5* WEF Challenge Cup Round 7 last night at the Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF) in Florida.
Eleven combinations advanced to the tiebreaker, with the Irish representatives coming out in top over Andy Christiansen’s (ECU) jump-off course.
Irish 1-2
The 14-year-old Oldenburg gelding stopped the clock at 37.90 seconds with Wexford’s Bertram Allen right behind in 39.12 seconds riding Conquest de Rigo.
Taking third was Charlotte Jacobs (USA) in a time of 40.01 seconds riding North Star’s Playboy JT Z, an 11-year-old Zangersheide gelding.
Advertisement
Kenny delighted to be back in action
“I knew Bertram’s horse has a massive stride,” Kenny admitted. “He did seven [strides] from one to two. I wasn’t sure if I could do that, but it showed up for me. I think my horse is more experienced than his in jump-offs, so that’s probably where it got him,” said Kenny of his jump-off round with his 2025 European Championships partner Eddy Blue.
Kenny was officially cleared to return to international competition on 13 February after the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) lifted a provisional suspension issued on 13 October following a positive drug test during the FEI European Championships.
“This is my first week back – Bertram rode Eddy for me recently and did a fantastic job on him,” said the Irish Olympian. “The horse feels ready to go, and he was amazing today as he always is. I’m very lucky to have such a fantastic group of owners and staff who kept the horses in great shape. I was lucky Bertram was able to ride them for me – I’m very thankful to everybody who was involved in that.”
The men’s Olympic hockey tournament wraps up Sunday, with a showdown between Team Canada and Team USA that many hockey fans have been waiting for since last year’s thrilling end at the 4 Nations Face-Off.
The Americans are looking for their first gold in this event since 1980, while Canada has won the past two NHL Olympic tournaments in 2014 and 2010. As this year’s Olympics come to an end, which country will come out on top in 2026?
Follow along with all the action in our live blog.
Newly-crowned WBC welterweight champion Ryan Garcia has received plenty of praise following his victory over Mario Barrios on Saturday.
Garcia dominated the bout from start to finish, dropping Barrios in the opening round on his way to a unanimous decision victory, with the judges scoring the bout 120-107, 119-108 and 118-109 in his favour.
The win saw ‘King Ry’ become world champion for the first time as he claimed the WBC belt at 147lbs, with attention now potentially turning to a showdown against four-weight world champion Shakur Stevenson, who won the WBO super-lightweight title last month by defeating Teofimo Lopez.
Advertisement
One man who has backed Stevenson throughout his career is fellow boxing great Terence Crawford, who retired from the sport in December following his monumental victory over Canelo Alvarez.
While Crawford would undoubtedly back Stevenson in a possible clash against Garcia, ‘Bud’ gave credit where it was due to ‘King Ry’ for his win over Barrios, as he needed just one word to sum up the performance when asked by Clocked n Loaded.
“Amazing.”
Garcia proved he belongs at world level following the win over Barrios, having previously come up short in big fights against the likes of Gervonta Davis and Rolly Romero.