Connect with us

Sports

Oscar De La Hoya delivers honest verdict on Mayweather vs Mike Tyson

Published

on

Oscar De La Hoya, who lost a split decision to Floyd Mayweather in 2007, has given an honest assessment of his former foe’s exhibition match with Mike Tyson.

It was reported earlier this week that, on April 25, the two legends will headline an event in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

This follows the news that Mayweather has filed a lawsuit against American TV network Showtime and Stephen Espinoza, claiming that he is owed “at least” $340 million.

Advertisement

The former five-division world champion’s last professional outing, which was broadcast on Showtime PPV, saw him handily defeat UFC star Conor McGregor in 2017.

Since then, Mayweather has been involved in several exhibitions, but the 48-year-old has now set his sights on a former world heavyweight champion.

Tyson, meanwhile, is no stranger to an exhibition himself, having previously had a non-competitive bout with pound-for-pound legend Roy Jones Jr in 2020.

‘Iron Mike’ then entered an eight-round bout with internet star Jake Paul in 2024, which saw him suffer a convincing points defeat almost 20 years on from his previous professional outing, a sixth-round stoppage loss to Kevin McBride.

Advertisement

Partly because of this, many have ridiculed the very idea of Tyson, at 59 years old, entering an exhibition with Mayweather, whose career-highest weight as a professional was 151lbs.

De La Hoya, however, has told ESNEWS that the event could be “fun”, or at least more popular than UFC boss Dana White’s recent Zuffa Boxing shows.

“It’s an exhibition. You have two legends. If they [give] us a little glimpse of the past, I think it’ll be fun.

“It’ll probably draw more people than what Zuffa is drawing now. That’s for sure.”

The Golden Boy Promotions boss has been highly critical of White’s Zuffa Boxing outfit in general, hence why he saw this as an opportunity to further lambast his promotional rival.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

‘Impossible:’ Matt Fitzpatrick criticizes Riviera’s famed (and controversial) par-4

Published

on

No. 10 at Riviera has drawn its fair share of criticism (and praise) from golf’s best in recent years.

Rory McIlroy said the 315-yard par-4 “stinks.” Max Homa said it is “either the best hole in the world or the worst.” Jon Rahm said it could be his “favorite hole” on the course. Collin Morikawa called it the “hardest hole” on the famed property. Tony Finau went the other way, praising the “amazing” hole.

On Friday at the Genesis Invitational, another star added his name to one side of the debate over George C. Thomas’ famed short par-4.

After making an easy par at No. 10 during Thursday’s opening round, 2022 U.S. Open champion Matthew Fitzpatrick had a different experience on Friday.

Advertisement

The pin placement during the opening round was in the back right, which allowed Fitzpatrick to make a stress-free birdie. But on Friday, the in was in the middle and just three paces from the left edge. Fitzpatrick lost his tee shot out to the right, leaving him 47 yards to the pin. After surveying his options with his caddie, Fitzpatrick elected to play his second shot well left of the pin. The thinking was that Fitzpatrick would either give himself a long birdie putt or the ball would roll down into the collection area and he’d have a chance to get up-and-down for par. But he missed his spot and ended up dumping his second into the greenside bunker. His third shot was no easier than his second. He blasted out over the green and into the collection area. He pitched up and eventually tapped in for bogey, which was one of only two bogeys he made while firing a five-under 66.

“It was a great round. Felt like I played really solid. Just bogey on 10, the world’s most impossible golf hole. I’ll leave it there,” Fitzpatrick said after his round.

“I don’t really want to talk about it too much, I’ll just get wound up. But it’s hit and hope, let’s leave it at that.”

Fitzpatrick wasn’t the only one in his threesome to get bitten by Riviera’s short par-4. Both Aaron Rai and Garrick Higgo also made bogey.

Advertisement

“We all made bogey. I said, ‘great bogeys, guys,’” Fitzpatrick said. “I got a laugh out of everyone, which was good.”

In 2023, McIlroy said that he believes the kikuyu grass that runs up to and around the green is the issue. He suggested either re-grassing that area so the ball can run up or making the green a bit softer. As it stands right now, in McIlroy’s view, there is no skill involved in the hole.

In Fitzpatrick’s mind, No. 10 at Riviera breaks one of the most important rules for a hole.

“I just don’t think it’s a fair golf hole, so I’ll just leave it at that,” Fitzpatrick said.

Advertisement

“>

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

College hoops insider shares Vanderbilt star’s availability ahead of Tennessee clash 

Published

on

Vanderbilt Commodores guard Duke Miles is expected back in action for Saturday’s game against the Tennessee Volunteers, per college basketball insider Jeff Borzello. Miles has been out for the past three weeks after undergoing “clean-up” knee surgery.

“Vanderbilt guard Duke Miles has been upgraded to probable for tomorrow’s game against Tennessee,” Borzello wrote on X

Vanderbilt guard Duke Miles has been upgraded to probable for tomorrow’s game against Tennessee, per the SEC Availability Report. Miles has missed the last six games with a knee injury. Meanwhile, Tennessee big man JP Estrella is questionable after missing Wednesday’s game.

Advertisement

Vanderbilt basketball coach Mark Byington also confirmed his availability during a press conference on Friday.

“Duke is expected to go,” he said. “He practiced yesterday. He’s had a good week. He hung back instead of going to Missouri with us so he could train here. We’re expecting him to go.

“He’s in incredible shape,” Byington added. “A lot of times it’s conditioning with players, but talking with my trainer, he said he’s doing great there. Watching him in practice, he looks really good. I think his rhythm will be good.”

Miles is averaging 16.6 points, 4.3 assists, 3.0 rebounds, and 2.8 steals per game. He last played for the Commodores on Jan. 24 in a contest against Mississippi State, scoring 17 points. He has since missed five games.

What Duke Miles’ return means for Vanderbilt

His return is great news for Byington’s team, as the Commodores look to improve on their 21-5 record. The team is fresh off a painful 81-80 defeat to Missouri and will be hoping to return to winning on Saturday. Having Miles on the lineup will improve the chances of that happening.

“He does a lot on the offensive end,” said Byington. “He gives us another ball handler, along with Tyler Tanner, who really makes plays out there. His steals are impactful. He makes an impact everywhere he goes.”

With his return, another big question is how many minutes Miles will be able to put in on Saturday.

Advertisement

“You’ve got to read the game, but we’re not going into the game thinking [about a minute restriction]. We’ll see how it goes,” Byington said. “I’m probably going to have to get him out at certain times, but as the coach, I feel better when he’s on the court, even if it’s his first game back. We’ll try to keep him out there.”

Tanner has been Vanderbilt’s most reliable ball handler since Duke Miles’ absence, although AK Okereke has also been helpful in filling in for Miles. However, Miles’ impact is difficult to replicate, especially with Frankie Collins also out.