Connect with us

Sports

‘Pollution is pretty insane’: Anders Antonsen calls for India Open to move out of Delhi winter | Badminton News

Published

on

‘Pollution is pretty insane’: Anders Antonsen calls for India Open to move out of Delhi winter
Denmark’s Anders Antonsen (PTI Photo)

NEW DELHI: World No. 4 Anders Antonsen has urged the BWF to reconsider the timing of the India Open, arguing that the tournament should be held in Delhi during a season when the capital’s air quality is more conducive to high-intensity sport.The Danish shuttler, who defeated Azerbaijan’s Dicky Dwi Pangestu 21-19, 21-17 in his opening-round match at the BWF World Championships in New Delhi on Monday, believes the January-February window currently used for the India Open exposes players to Delhi’s worst pollution.Antonsen skipped this year’s India Open and has questioned the decision to stage the Super 750 event in the capital during the winter months. The tournament is again scheduled for February next year, although the 29-year-old is yet to decide whether he will participate.“As I said in interviews, there is a huge difference in the seasons here, right? I’ve come to understand that in January and February the pollution here is quite insane,” Antonsen said.

‘Imagine having your pulse high and trying to fight for air’

Antonsen said the contrast between Delhi’s conditions during the World Championships and those during winter was significant, describing the current environment as far more comfortable for players.“It’s not pleasant to play in. You kind of get this burning feeling in your throat and you can see it under the lights and everything. It’s not super nice. I don’t think it’s the right decision to host the India Open at that time of the year, but now it’s way, way better,” he said.“When I open the windows in the morning, I can see stuff. But if I do that in January, I can’t see the building next to me. So imagine having your pulse high and trying to fight for air. It’s not a pleasant feeling.”The Dane, a three-time World Championships bronze medallist and one-time silver medallist, said the timing should be reconsidered if the BWF wants to provide players with better playing conditions.“So if I was the BWF, I would host the India Open at another time of the year,” he said.Antonsen has also highlighted the financial dilemma players face when skipping elite tournaments. He did not play in the India Open earlier this year and was fined $5,000 for missing the Super 750 event.“I wasn’t happy to see it because, as we just talked about, the pollution during that season is pretty insane. I don’t think it is the right move for the BWF to host the tournament in January or February in Delhi,” he said.

Antonsen impressed with World Championships venue

While critical of the timing of the India Open, Antonsen has been pleased with the facilities for the World Championships.“I’m happy with it so far. The match official was saying, carry on, carry on. Just before I served, there were some flashes, people taking photos on the stands. So that was just all I said,” he said.“I feel the arena is beautiful. Huge arena. It’s my first time here. Everything out here is good. No complaints.”On court, Antonsen remains among the leading contenders in an increasingly unpredictable men’s singles field. Having already collected three World Championships bronze medals and one silver, he is chasing the only medal missing from his collection — gold.“I need to play my absolute best and maybe even better than I’ve ever done before, and then I need a bunch of luck. So yeah, the men’s singles category right now is insane,” he said.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Natural Fling proves too quick in 2026 Quezette Stakes

Published

on

Jockey in white star-pattern silks rides a brown horse at Caulfield Racecourse by the finish barriers.

The Tony and Calvin McEvoy stable has a plethora of options with the exciting filly Natural Fling, who achieved a comprehensive first-up win at Caulfield.

The father-and-son training partnership is considering a Group 1 sprint in the coming weeks for the daughter of Home Affairs, following her victory in the Group Quezette Stakes (1100m) at Caulfield on Saturday.

Sent off as the $2.40 favourite under Damian Lane, Natural Fling raced to a four-length win from Scintillation ($16), with Oh Yes She Did ($14) a further three-quarters-of-a-length behind in third. Punters looking for the best Australian betting sites saw the well-backed favourite deliver an emphatic performance.

Natural Fling clocked a time of 1:03.91, which was just shy of 0.5 seconds quicker than Hard Kick’s winning time in the colts’ race, the Group 3 Vain Stakes (1100m), run earlier on the card.

Advertisement

Lining up for only her third start, Natural Fling was successful on debut at Caulfield in May before running second in the Magic Millions 2YO National at the Gold Coast later that month.

Calvin McEvoy expressed his delight, highlighting Natural Fling as a quality filly.

“We had to pay good money for her at the sales, but we have really good owners in her and they stumped up the cash to buy into a Home Affairs filly,” McEvoy said.

“These colours are famous within our stables and we’ve always had her at the front of the bus in our team of two-year-olds and now three-year-olds, and her trial was fantastic and for her to come here and back it up in a great race, it’s so pleasing.”

Advertisement

McEvoy mentioned that the team had focused on refining the filly’s speed, indicating that while she was travelling fast, the effort was controlled.

“She’s grown up this preparation, and she was impressive and put a gap on a quality field,” McEvoy commented.

“We won this race with a filly that carried the same colours, who was very good, and this filly may be like her.”

That filly was Sunlight, who claimed the Group 1 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m) at Flemington in 2018.

Advertisement

It is a race the McEvoy’s will consider for Natural Fling, but a more immediate target might be the Group 1 Moir Stakes (1000m) at Sandown on September 5.

“There is the Cap D’antibes Stakes (a week later) which comes up, there is the Coolmore which would be a great race to win, and we may even consider the Moir with no weight,” McEvoy added.

“They are all good options. She is a Group winner which is so important for the pedigree, and I don’t think that is the end for her.”

Check out the top racing betting markets available for upcoming feature events.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Ravindra Jadeja traps Sri Lanka’s top-scorer Sonal Dinusha on 100 with a sharp turner on Day 3 of SL vs IND 2026 1st Test [Watch]

Published

on

Team India all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja continued his habit of dismissing well-set batters by removing Sri Lanka’s top-scorer, Sonal Dinusha, on Day 3 of the opening Test at Galle on August 17. With Sri Lanka in dire straits at 90/5 in response to India’s 462 in the first innings, Dinusha scored a brilliant maiden Test century to help the side gain a semblance of respectability.

However, a ball after completing his century, the southpaw missed a flighted delivery from Jadeja, which turned sharply to trap him in front. Dinusha looked towards DRS to save him from a seemingly plumb LBW, but to no avail.

Here is a video of Jadeja’s three wickets, including the final one to send Sri Lanka’s lone centurion packing:

https://www.sonyliv.com/sports-clips/cricket-jadeja-strikes-with-a-crucial-three-wicket-haul-1090539547?watch=true

Advertisement

Jadeja finished the innings with excellent figures of 3/57 in 21 overs as India bowled Sri Lanka out for 284. Despite stumps being called earlier than the scheduled time on Day 3 due to bad light and rain, India head into the penultimate day with a healthy 178-run first-innings lead.

Ravindra Jadeja joins elite club for career double on Day 3 of the 1st Test

Ravindra Jadeja completed an incredible 350 Test wickets on Day 3 of the first Test against Sri Lanka. The 37-year-old entered the game on 348 wickets and removed Sri Lankan skipper Dhananjaya de Silva and Keshara Nuwantha to complete the career milestone.

Advertisement

Jadeja also became one of only two Indian cricketers to boast over 4,000 runs and 350 wickets in Tests, alongside the legendary Kapil Dev. He also became only the second spin-bowling all-rounder after Daniel Vettori to achieve the phenomenal 4,000-350 double.

Overall, Ravindra Jadeja is only the fourth cricketer to complete this double, joining Kapil Dev, Daniel Vettori and Ian Botham.

The veteran spin-bowling all-rounder’s Test numbers read an extraordinary 4,108 runs at an average of 38.03 and 351 wickets at an average of 25.06. Jadeja also boasts six centuries and 15 five-wicket hauls in his outstanding 90-match Test career.