Roy Keane has criticised Michael Carrick since Manchester United appointed the former Middlesbrough manager as their interim head coach – but he is not bothered
Michael Carrick insists he is not ‘bothered’ by criticism and critique from the likes of Roy Keane and Gary Neville.
Carrick, 44, has made an impressive start to his second spell at Manchester United following his appointment as head coach until the end of the campaign after taking over from Ruben Amorim. The club’s former midfielder has secured four victories and one draw from his opening five fixtures at the helm.
That sequence of results has propelled United to fourth place in the Premier League table. They are now just five points behind third-placed Aston Villa and eight off Manchester City.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings
However, upon his appointment, Carrick faced scrutiny from Keane, who questioned his suitability. Keane stated last month that he was “concerned” about Carrick’s arrival and suggested the club are a “circus act at the moment”.
Speaking to the BBC, Carrick has now made clear he remains untroubled by criticism from Keane and fellow pundits. When questioned whether he must ‘accept’ and ‘shut out’ external comment, Carrick responded: “It doesn’t bother me one bit. Genuinely, it doesn’t. I’m not going to really fall out with anyone over that.
“I think it’s a respect thing as much as anything, and I’ll give and take that. I think for younger players in general, it’s something we need to help them with and look after them. It’s a different world now to when, say, I was coming through, but we do that, and we look after them.”
FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page
Carrick is being considered for the permanent position at United this summer, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was seven years ago. United are also exploring alternative candidates, including Julian Nagelsmann and Roberto De Zerbi, whilst Thomas Tuchel is committed to remaining as England manager until at least 2028.
Carrick, who featured in over 450 matches during his playing career at Old Trafford, has hinted at his ambition to become United’s next permanent head coach, describing it as the “ultimate role”. He said: “I’m really enjoying it, I love what I’m doing.
“I’m fortunate. I feel privileged to be in the position I am, but it’s not the fact that I believe I can do it, and I’m here to do it.
“I said it when I came in – there’s the sentimental side of that… of understanding the role and coming through the club and being here and loving the club and being a supporter and all that side of it is one thing. But actually, I’m here to do a job now, and to make a good team, and be successful.
“I don’t decide how long that’s going to be, but I love being here, and whilst I’m here, I’ll give everything I can. And I always plan for the long-term future for the benefit of the football club. That’s how I believe it should be.”
United travel to Everton on Monday for their next Premier League clash. The Red Devils were beaten 1-0 in the corresponding fixture back in November, with Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall netting the only goal in the first half.
Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle for the 2025/26 season, saving members £336 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.
Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games this season, an increase of up to 100 more.




