Connect with us

Sports

Sir Jim Ratcliffe cleared by FA as Man United co-owner avoids charge over immigration comments

Published

on

Sir Jim Ratcliffe caused controversy around Manchester United when he suggested the United Kingdom had been colonised by immigrants in an interview this month

Advertisement

Sir Jim Ratcliffe has escaped an FA charge following his comments that the United Kingdom is being colonised by immigrants. The Manchester United co-owner has been reminded of his responsibilities as a senior figure in English football when giving interviews by the FA, but no investigation or punishment will take place.

Discussing immigration, Ratcliffe pointed to erroneous statistics. He said: “You can’t have an economy with nine million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in. I mean, the UK has been colonised. It’s costing too much money.

“The UK has been colonised by immigrants, really, hasn’t it? I mean, the population of the UK was 58million in 2020, now it’s 70million. That’s 12million people.”

The 73-year-old billionaire issued a statement apologising if his choice of language had offended some people. He added that it was “important to raise the issue of controlled and well-managed immigration”.

Advertisement

In his press conference on Friday, interim United boss Michael Carrick was asked about the remarks. The former midfielder steered clear of commenting on Ratcliffe but praised the club’s stance.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

“Sir Jim made his statement and the club made a statement on the back of it. It is not my place to add to that. Enough has been said in that regard,” he said.

“What I can say is that I have been around this club many years and we always make a huge impact globally and we are really responsible for that. Throughout the years, as a player and member of staff and as a supporter, we are really proud of the environment and culture we’ve got at the club.

Advertisement

“Equality and diversity and respect for each other is something we look to carry through every day. I have travelled the world and know what this club means to an awful lot of people. I am fully aware of the responsibility and we try to carry that out every day. I am proud of what the club stands for and has done for so long.”

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

“I think part of being at this club, we understand what it’s like globally and the responsibilities we have within this,” he added.

Advertisement

“I can only speak from my personal experiences of being here for a long time with various managers, with various staff … different backgrounds and it’s something we’re fully aware of and I am. And I’m proud of what the club stands for and has done for so long really, and I’m really aware of that.”

United released a statement after Ratcliffe’s comments but did not mention their owner. “Manchester United prides itself on being an inclusive and welcoming club,” the statement said.

“Our diverse group of players, staff and global community of supporters, reflect the history and heritage of Manchester; a city that anyone can call home.”

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

I fight more like a Mexican than that motherf**ker

Published

on

With UFC Houston just hours away, Sean Strickland has produced another polarizing moment ahead of his main event clash against the dangerous Anthony Hernandez.

During the ceremonial weigh-ins and subsequent face-off, Strickland was booed by the South Texan crowd, and sure enough, ‘Tarzan’ did not let the disrespect slide.

Hilariously, ‘Fluffy’ bore the brunt of the collateral damage as the former middleweight champion went scorched earth on the local MMA fans in a fiery rant. After picking up the microphone from Jon Anik, Strickland took aim at Hernandez’s Mexican heritage, while calling him out over his fighting style:

“Listen here, you motherf**kers. I know you guys, you know. You might want your local Mexican to win. There is nothing wrong with that. But, let me tell you, to the Lone Star State. There is only one motherf**ker who stands and bangs, your f**king guy wrestles. I fight more like a Mexican than that motherf**ker. F**k you.”

Get the latest updates on One Championship Rankings at Sportskeeda and more

Check out Sean Strickland’s comments about Anthony Hernandez below:

Strickland is 3-2 in his last five and most recently suffered a unanimous decision loss to Dricus du Plessis in their middleweight title rematch. Meanwhile, Hernandez is currently on an eight-fight win streak, securing a fourth-round submission win over Roman Dolidze in his most recent bout.

Advertisement

Many believe a win this weekend would position either man as a leading contender for a future crack at Khamzat Chimaev’s middleweight throne, likely after the Chechen-born Emirati dukes it out with Nassourdine Imavov later this year.


UFC Houston: Sean Strickland vs. Anthony Hernandez fight odds

UFC Houston, headlined by a middleweight clash between Sean Strickland and Anthony Hernandez, will go down on Saturday, Feb. 21, at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.

According to BetOnline, Strickland is listed as a +210 underdog for the matchup, with Hernandez currently positioned as a -250 favorite. However, the odds might change as the bout draws closer.

This means a successful $100 wager on ‘Fluffy’ will return a payout of $140, while the same bet on the former champion will provide a total return of $310, if Strickland gets his hand raised.

Advertisement