Connect with us

Sports

Wayne Rooney sends fresh message to Man United after making Michael Carrick offer

Published

on

Wayne Rooney has been out of football management since leaving Plymouth Argyle over a year ago

Wayne Rooney has doubled down on his willingness to take on a coaching role at Manchester United under Michael Carrick if the opportunity arises.

Carrick took the reins as United’s interim manager last month, stepping in for the remainder of the campaign. Prior to Carrick officially being announced, Rooney went on record to say he would happily help out his former team-mate as part of his backroom team.

Advertisement

Speaking on The Wayne Rooney Show, Rooney said: “Of course I would. It’s a no-brainer. I’m not begging for a job here by the way. Just so everyone knows, if I was asked to go in of course I would. Appointing the manager is the most important thing.”

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Rooney, who made 559 appearances for the club, scoring a club record of 253 goals, has now reiterated that stance. So far, Carrick, who remains undefeated after five matches in the dugout, hasn’t called upon the England legend for support.

When asked again on the No Tippy Tappy Football podcast about a potential return to management, Rooney responded: “I would go back if the right opportunity came up. I’m not in a rush.”

Advertisement

When former Premier League boss Sam Allardyce asked whether he’d consider the role of assistant, Rooney replied: “100% yeah. I got asked this a few weeks ago about whether I’d go back to United in a different role.

“Of course I would. Probably the only two clubs I’d go back to [not as a manager] are Everton and United because they’re the two clubs which are close to my heart.”

Following his retirement as a player at Derby County, Rooney swiftly stepped into management at the club, successfully steering them clear of relegation before suffering Championship relegation the following 2021/22 campaign after a 21-point penalty.

Advertisement

He resigned and took charge of MLS side D.C. United from 2022 to 2023, failing to qualify for the playoffs two seasons in a row.

The 40-year-old returned to English football in October 2023 when Birmingham City appointed him as their manager. However, he was dismissed in January 2024 having secured just two victories from 15 fixtures, with Birmingham ultimately suffering relegation that season.

In May 2024, he accepted the same position at Plymouth Argyle but struggled to get results, particularly away from home. He left by mutual agreement in December 2024.

Since then, Rooney has stepped back from management, instead working as a pundit for broadcasters such as TNT Sports and the BBC, while featuring on several podcasts. Rooney was seen sitting next to Carrick in the Old Trafford Directors’ Box last month as the pair watched their sons in action in the FA Youth Cup for United.

Advertisement

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

I think he often goes under the radar

Published

on

Former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan has lauded Shivam Dube for his fine cameo in the T20 World Cup 2026 match against Pakistan. The contest was played on Sunday, February 15, at the R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Asked to bat first, India posted 175/7, with Ishan Kishan top-scoring with a brilliant 77 off 40 balls, while Shivam Dube contributed a valuable 27 off 17, including three fours and a six. In response, the Men in Green were bowled out for 114 in 18 overs, falling short by 61 runs.

Speaking in a video on his YouTube channel after the game, Pathan said that Dube often goes under the radar, having delivered under pressure in the past, including the T20 World Cup 2024 and the Asia Cup 2025 final. The 41-year-old also highlighted the southpaw’s exceptional hitting ability, saying:

“There is another batsman who played really well, someone who often goes under the radar and doesn’t get much attention. In the Asia Cup final, it was Shivam Dube; in the World Cup final, Shivam Dube; and here as well, against Pakistan, he came in towards the end and played a quick cameo.”

“It took him a little time, about 9-10 balls, to get set for the big shots, but after that, he played a quick, effective innings before getting run out. I think he often goes under the radar, but his hitting ability is absolutely tremendous. Overall, by the time the team reached 175, the match was essentially over because the Pakistani batting lineup didn’t have enough firepower,” he added.

Pathan also praised skipper Suryakumar Yadav, who scored 32 off 29 balls, noting that he came in with a proper game plan against Usman Tariq and played a solid innings. Pathan said:

“Suryakumar Yadav’s batting also stood out because it seemed like he was taking a long pause against Tariq. Generally, he tends to show a bit of initial movement, like stepping forward slightly at the time of release, and then adjusting his front or back foot later to play the shot. But if you watch the highlights of Usman Tariq’s bowling, it was very clear.”

“While Suryakumar was batting, his feet hardly moved. Even after the pause, he was waiting patiently, and at the time of release, both his feet remained still. It was very clear that his planning worked perfectly. Suryakumar played a really good innings, especially the shots he played between long-on and mid-wicket. Top-quality batting. That kind of batting was exactly what was needed,” he added.

Meanwhile, the emphatic win ensured that India secured their place in the Super 8s.


“Our Indian team’s bowling is really strong” – Irfan Pathan heaps praise on the Men in Blue attack

In the same video, Irfan Pathan also asserted that India has a strong bowling attack, which was on full display against Pakistan. He highlighted Hardik Pandya dismissing Sahibzada Farhan in the first over, followed by Jasprit Bumrah removing Saim Ayub and Salman Agha in the next. While praising the Indian bowlers, Pathan also expressed puzzlement over Pakistan captain’s approach, saying:

Advertisement

“Our Indian team’s bowling is really strong, very sharp, and it was clearly visible when they came on to bowl. In the first over Hardik dismissed Sahibzada Farhan. He tried to play a cross-batted shot on a length ball, but the ball hung in the air. Then Jasprit Bumrah straight away, goes for the yorker, delivers a sharp in-swinging yorker, gets the LBW, and then comes Salman Ali Agha.”

“As a captain, I didn’t understand his approach. When two wickets have fallen, you need to consolidate a bit, but he went after Bumrah with big shots. And what happened? Within two overs, three wickets went down, including the captain, playing poor shots. This approach didn’t make sense. The score wasn’t even over 200,” he added.

India will now return to action on Wednesday, February 18, when they take on the Netherlands in their final Group A game in Ahmedabad.