Connect with us

Sports

‘We keep our sights forward’: Giant-killer Zimbabwe send warning after taking down Sri Lanka and Australia | Cricket News

Published

on

'We keep our sights forward': Giant-killer Zimbabwe send warning after taking down Sri Lanka and Australia
Zimbabwe’s captain Sikandar Raza, center, with teammates leaves the ground after Sri Lanka’s inning during the T20 World Cup cricket match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo)

Captain Sikandar Raza said the strong group-stage run by the Zimbabwe at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 has earned them respect, and he hopes the team can continue its run in the Super Eights against stronger opponents.Zimbabwe signalled their ability to challenge top teams by defeating Australia and Sri Lanka in Group B matches.“We keep our sights forward. If I keep our eyes on the present…I don’t think anyone gave us a chance. To win everyone’s hearts and respect, it is a good position to be in,” Raza said in the post-match presentation after his team’s win over SL.Zimbabwe now move into the Super Eights, where they will face reigning champions India, two-time champions West Indies cricket team, and 2024 finalists South Africa.But Raza said his side is not intimidated.Also read: Sikandar roars in Colombo: Zimbabwe stun Sri Lanka, fire warning shot at India
“We take one game at a time. We arrive on the 21st, and then train on the 22nd, and then it is show-time. Whatever happens, happens. If we can win two out of three games, who knows what can happen. Everyone loves an underdog story,” Raza added.Reflecting on the win over Sri Lanka, Raza said the hosts fell short of a defendable total.“When we lost the toss, all I said to the boys was if we are truly playing good cricket, why does the toss matter? I bowled, and said finger-spinners are not finding a lot of turn, so we can put them under pressure.“I came into the changing room and said they were 10 runs short (at the break). We have trained for every situation. We have the right personnel to send in at the right time. We have got all those roles clear and that is why you see the confidence in the changing room,” he said.For now, Raza said he wants to enjoy the team’s progress into the Super Eights.“We are unbeaten so far, but it is only the next game that comes into my head. Nice position to be in as a captain but I will try and enjoy at least tonight,” he said.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

This pro is going the gear free agent route, except for this one piece

Published

on

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Keller overtime strike gives USA Olympic women's ice hockey gold

Published

on


Megan Keller captured gold for the USA’s Olympic women’s ice hockey team with a stunning overtime strike to seal a 2-1 victory over defending champions Canada on Thursday.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

SI.com Picks Vikings QB1 for 2026

Published

on

Advertisement

Malik Willis stands on the field before a Packers game at Lambeau Field.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Malik Willis (2) stands on the field at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, on Nov. 23, 2025, prior to kickoff against the Minnesota Vikings. Willis surveys the stadium during pregame moments as the divisional matchup approaches in the late-season setting. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-Imagn Images

The Minnesota Vikings have about two dozen quarterback options this offseason, as the franchise publicly declared last month that it will seek a “deep quarterback room” in 2026. And according to SI.com, the proper path is the free-agent acquisition of Green Bay Packers quarterback Malik Willis.

Willis’s small-sample surge in Green Bay has people talking, and it could put Minnesota in the mix if the price stays sane.

The strong-armed passer revitalized his career in Green Bay, and he’s poised to cash in next month in free agency.

Advertisement

Willis Buzz Grows after 2025 Efficiency Spike

If you’re a Willis enthusiast, SI.com has you covered from a Vikings perspective.

Malik Willis throwing a pass for the Packers against the Ravens at Lambeau Field. Malik Willis Vikings QB1 2026.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Malik Willis (2) delivers a pass during third-quarter action against the Baltimore Ravens at Lambeau Field on Dec 27, 2025, in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Willis saw limited but meaningful snaps late in the season as he continued his development within the Packers’ offense. © Mark Hoffman / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

SI.com: Vikings Should Sign Willis

Gilberto Manzano sized up one offseason move apiece for each NFC North team, and regarding the Vikings, that’s a Willis signing.

He explained, “Sign QB Malik Willis. It might be tough for them to splurge for Love’s backup, perhaps making Willis available at the start of free agency. Coach Kevin O’Connell can’t hand McCarthy the starting job again unless he proves it by beating out real competition in training camp.”

Advertisement

“Willis, a 2022 third-round pick, showed vast improvement in the games he appeared last season for Green Bay and his determination to make the most of his latest opportunity after how poorly it went for him in Tennessee could bring out the best in McCarthy in a fierce summer battle. It was a small sample size, but Willis completed 85.7% of his passes in four games last year.”

McCarthy and Willis would then have a true summer battle to determine the QB1.

Manzano continued, “For comparison, McCarthy struggled by completing only 57.6% of his passes in 10 starts. Willis could have other options and maybe an easier path to a starting job, but not many teams can offer a wide receiver as good as Justin Jefferson.”

“The Vikings have no reason to commit to McCarthy’s first-round status after the team fired GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. There’s no more time to waste in Minnesota after the disastrous quarterback results in 2025.”

Advertisement

The Single Game That Changed It All

In a December home loss to the Baltimore Ravens, Willis fired up 3 total touchdowns, no interceptions, 288 passing yards, and 60 with his legs. The game changed his career, as it alone probably fetched his upcoming free-agent contract. He proved that a reclamation story could be on the way. The man just needs a starting job to prove his mettle.

Despite a small sample size of only 58 dropbacks in 2025, Willis surprisingly led all quarterbacks in EPA+CPOE, demonstrating high efficiency despite low volume. His footwork appeared more refined, his timing sharper, and he threw with greater conviction — improvements that suggest dedicated work behind the scenes and the right setup in Green Bay.

Now, he needs a genuine opportunity: reps throughout July and August and a chance to compete for a starting role. Minnesota is an appealing destination, purely from a competition perspective.

Advertisement

Financially, the move is sound. An annual salary in the $15–25 million range is reasonable in the current quarterback market. Moreover, acquiring him wouldn’t require surrendering draft picks or future assets, and the contract wouldn’t become a burdensome, multi-year commitment if he doesn’t pan out.

He represents a unique option: a quarterback with legitimate QB1 potential who can be acquired without sacrificing any trade capital.

Difference of Opinion on Price

Willis’s price tag is difficult to gauge. No one can quite figure it out.

Advertisement

Because of the precedent set by Baker Mayfield in 2023 and Sam Darnold in 2025, Willis should probably earn a new deal with the aforementioned $15–25 million to “prove it.” He’s never succeeded as a long-term starter anywhere, and handing him a fat bag of cash is risky.

Malik Willis passing for the Titans against the Texans at NRG Stadium.
Oct 30, 2022; Houston, Texas, USA; Tennessee Titans quarterback Malik Willis (7) steps into a fourth-quarter throw against the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium on Oct 30, 2022. The rookie signal-caller gained valuable experience during his first NFL season while filling in under center for Tennessee. Mandatory Credit: Thomas Shea-Imagn Images

But some websites, like Spotrac, have tossed $15-25 million all the way out the window. That source claims Willis is worth a whopping $35.5 million per season, meaning his next squad could ink a deal worth $107 million over the next three seasons.

Many quarterback-needy teams don’t have $35.5 million lying around; $20 million for a quarterback prove-it deal is manageable. Tipping the scales at $35 million or $36 million is borderline outrageous.

Vikings Not Alone for Willis Suitors

If Manzano is wrong and Willis does not land in Minnesota, he’ll still have plenty of suitors. A list might look like this:

Advertisement
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Atlanta Falcons

Dolphins Wire‘s Adam Stites recently opined on Willis to Miami, “The Dolphins’ plan at quarterback isn’t clear, but splitting with Tua Tagovailoa appears to be a foregone conclusion.

“That’ll leave the team with Quinn Ewers and Cam Miller, a pair of young passers who have potential but probably aren’t close to being full-time NFL starters. So that leaves the Dolphins on the hunt for at least one more quarterback with neither a top 10 pick nor a ton of salary cap space at their disposal.”

Jeff Hafley on the field before a Boston College game at Acrisure Stadium.
Nov 16, 2023; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Boston College Eagles head coach Jeff Hafley walks the field prior to kickoff against the Pittsburgh Panthers at Acrisure Stadium on Nov 16, 2023. Hafley led the Eagles during an ACC matchup as the program continued its season on the road. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

It’s worth noting that Tagovailoa will have to land somewhere, too, and he’ll have a robust free-agent market if the Dolphins release him.

Stites added, “With a weak draft class at the position, Miami will probably need to find the money to wade into the free agency pool. And it’s hard to find a better, or more logical option than Willis who would be reunited with new Dolphins GM Jon-Eric Sullivan and head coach Jeff Hafley, who both worked in Green Bay before taking over in Miami.”

Willis will turn 27 in May.


avatar
Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Gervonta Davis ‘top of the list’ for world title fight but would face big jump up in weight

Published

on

The return of Gervonta Davis is up in the air but there may be a title fight waiting for him in the welterweight division should he return.

Davis has not won a fight since June 2024, with his solitary outing since being a controversial draw against Lamont Roach Jr last March – a fight which many fans believe should have cost Davis his undefeated record.

‘Tank’ was then scheduled to face Jake Paul, but he was mentioned in a civil lawsuit – which cites violent behaviour, battery and kidnapping – two weeks before the fight, resulting in the cancellation of the event.

Advertisement

The 31-year-old has since been arrested and stripped of his WBA lightweight world title, with a potential return to the ring seemingly on hold until his situation outside of it has been cleared up.

Yet, in an interview with All The Smoke Fight, trainer and father of Devin Haney, Bill, revealed that Davis still sits atop the hit list for the WBO welterweight ruler.

“It’s about 10 names on the list. Tank is at the top of it, maybe Shakur [Stevenson] is next. Jaron Ennis. I think Conor Benn might be on there, towards the bottom, you know what I mean?

“Ryan Garcia is number 10, Brian Norman was on there. Keyshawn Davis, your man Keyshawn Davis is on there too.”

‘Tank’ has only fought as high as super-lightweight – a win against Mario Barrios back in 2021 – and would be undersized at welterweight.

Advertisement

The new holder of the WBA lightweight world title is expected to be determined on Saturday, April 11, although Golden Boy Promotions’ ongoing lawsuit with Vergil Ortiz could lead to that event being pushed back.

As for Haney – who won the title from Brian Norman Jr in November last year to become a three-weight champion – he has also expressed interest in fights with Shakur Stevenson, Keyshawn Davis and Conor Benn.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Good News For Tony Khan And AEW

Published

on

Tony Khan and AEW have just received some good news. This is regarding one of their recent shows.

AEW hosted Grand Slam: Australia in Sydney on February 14. This was the second AEW event held in the country since last year’s Grand Slam. Tony Khan prepared a stacked lineup of matches. The show was headlined by MJF and Brody King who competed over the World Title. The show had its own challenge as it went head-to-head with the 2026 Winter Olympic Games. The viewership for the show and the ratings have now come to light.

Advertisement

According to Wrestlenomics and Programming Insider, AEW Grand Slam: Australia 2026 drew in 561K total viewers with a 0.10 rating in the key 18-49 demographic. The viewership increased 45% from previous week’s Collision which drew in only 388K viewers while the 18-49 demographic drew in 0.07 rating. Against the four-week average, the viewership was up 66% from 337K while the ratings in the 18-49 demographic doubled from 0.05. When compared to last year’s Grand Slam: Australia, the show drew in more viewers (561K vs. 502K). However, in the key 18-49 demographic, last year’s show did significantly better with a 0.21 rating.


Tony Khan commented on top AEW stars receiving interest from WWE

AEW has been on top of their game over the past year. Therefore, several of the company’s top talent has been lured away by WWE. Penta, Rey Fenix, Ricky Saints, and Powerhouse Hobbs were all signed by WWE in the past year.

Speaking with talkSPORT, Tony said he feels great about what they’re doing in AEW and his company is where the best wrestle.

“It makes me feel incredible. I feel really great about what we’re doing at AEW right now, and I think wrestlers around the world want to be here. AEW is where the best wrestle. We’re seeing women and men across pro wrestling show that this is where so many of the greatest stars have chosen to be—and to stay—for a reason.” [H/T: Ringside News]

It looks like the future is looking good for Tony Khan and AEW.

Advertisement