Connect with us

Sports

The ‘cheating’ accusations, secret filming, and curling scandal engulfing the Winter Olympics

Published

on

Controversy has erupted in the curling at the Winter Olympics, with Great Britain dragged into the explosive fallout following cheating accusations against the Canadian team.

On Friday, Canada’s men’s side were accused by Sweden of breaking the rules by repeatedly double-touching the curling stone after release, leading to swear words being exchanged on the ice.

After Canada denied the claims – the team’s third, Marc Kennedy, responded by furiously insisting: “I haven’t done it once. You can f*** off” – footage of Kennedy clearing touching the stone after release went viral.

Canada’s Marc Kennedy furiously denied accusations that he was ‘double touching’ the granite of the stone

Canada’s Marc Kennedy furiously denied accusations that he was ‘double touching’ the granite of the stone (AP)

The drama escalated over the weekend when Canada’s women’s team were penalised for the same infringement in the first end of their match against Switzerland, as stunned skip Rachel Homan protested her innocence.

Advertisement

Then, amid increased surveillance from the umpires, Team GB’s Bobby Lammie was also flagged for a double touch in the penultimate end of their 9-4 win over Germany on Sunday.

World champions Great Britain play Canada, a renowned curling heavyweight, in a crunch match on Tuesday as the round-robin reaches its business end, with this controversy still very much in the spotlight in Cortina.

What is a double touch and what are the rules?

Following the controversy during the Canada-Sweden match, World Curling issued a reminder to the competing teams, clarifying the rules of “proper release” when delivering the stone.

Advertisement

World Curling said: “When delivering a stone, before the hog line players can retouch the handle as many times as they wish. However, touching the handle after the hog line is not allowed and will result in the stone being removed from play.

“During forward motion, touching the granite of the stone is not allowed. This will result in the stone being removed from play. Violation of this rule, will result in the stone being removed from play.”

(AFP via Getty Images)

Canada’s men’s team firmly denied the accusation of cheating, even as the footage of Kennedy touching the stone with a lingering finger on the hog line after release went viral on social media.

Advertisement

“If somebody said to you, ‘Hey, do you double-touch all the time?’ I honestly, in that split second of a moment, I couldn’t even tell you if I do or not,” Kennedy said.

Per the rules, giving the granite of the stone a deliberate prod after its release to correct its course would be cheating – but the fact you can retouch the handle before the hog line means there is some nuance.

Canada’s women’s team said they had been swept up in the accusations, following the heated exchange involving the men’s team on Friday and the online storm it created.

Homan said: “I think the word cheating came out of nowhere. It has nothing to do with cheating. There’s no chance that Canadians would ever intentionally cheat.”

Advertisement

“It obviously was like a heated moment between two players that blew it up. We had nothing to do with that,” said Canada’s second Emma Miskew. “So we felt like we were brought into a situation that we had no part in.”

Video Player Placeholder

Increased officiating — then a climbdown

World Curling does not have a VAR-style video replay system to re-umpire game decisions, while decisions made during a game are final and cannot be overturned.

After the controversy, World Curling did release a statement informing teams that, while it was “not possible” to have game umpires stationed at each hog line, two officials would move between all four sheets and observe some deliveries.

It resulted in uproar, however, with athletes and teams furious at how their deliveries were being overly scrutinised, at a level never before seen at a major international tournament.

Advertisement
Teams were angered by the level of officiating following the explosive Sweden-Canada match

Teams were angered by the level of officiating following the explosive Sweden-Canada match (REUTERS)

That likely explains why Canada’s women’s team and Great Britain’s men were so quickly flagged following Friday’s controversy. It was also unclear if officials were watching some nations more closely than others.

So, World Curling reversed its decision to increase officiating following a meeting with the competing national organisations. Instead, teams could request that an umpire observes the other team, for a minimum of three ends.

Were Sweden spying? And what happens next?

Advertisement

One of the mysteries of the whole saga is how Sweden were so convinced that Canada were guilty of a “double touch”. During the heated exchange between the teams, Oskar Eriksson also told his Canadian opponents: “I’ll show you the video after.”

The video appearing to show a clear double-touch by Kennedy then circulated on social media, with it emerging from Swedish public broadcaster SVT, leading Kennedy to claim the whole controversy was “premeditated” by the Sweden team.

Sweden are now facing accusations of secretly spying on their opponents

Sweden are now facing accusations of secretly spying on their opponents (REUTERS)

“They’ve come up with a plan to catch teams in the act,” Kennedy said, which adds another layer. Were Sweden secretly filming their opponents?

Advertisement

After beating Sweden 8-6 on Friday, Canada lost to Switzerland 9-5 in their only game on Saturday before rebounding with a 6-3 victory over China and a 8-2 thrashing of Czech Republic

On Tuesday, Canada will play Great Britain in a match that could determine which nation goes through to the semi-finals and keeps their medal hopes alive, after world champions Team GB suffered a shock defeat to Norway.

Bruce Mouat’s side have now lost three matches and they will likely have to beat Canada. Meanwhile, this fierce fury on ice is not cooling down.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Destanee Aiava confirms 2026 will be her Final year on Tour

Published

on

Destanee Aiava has announced that 2026 will be her final season on the professional tennis tour, revealing her decision in a statement shared on social media.

The 25 years old Australian explained that her decision comes after years of negative experiences in the sport, including abuse from gamblers, online harassment, and feeling unsupported within tennis.

In a strongly worded message, Aiava wrote:

  • Favour Ashe switches allegiance from Nigeria to QatarFavour Ashe switches allegiance from Nigeria to Qatar

Advertisement

“I want to say a ginormous f*** you to everyone in the tennis community who’s ever made me feel less than. F*** you to every single gambler who’s sent me hate or death threats. F*** you to the people who sit behind screens on social media, commenting on my body, my career, or whatever the f*** they want to nitpick. And f*** you to a sport that hides behind so-called class and gentlemanly values.”

She added:

“Behind the white outfits and traditions is a culture that’s racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile to anyone who doesn’t fit its mould.”

Advertisement

Aiava has previously spoken about mental health struggles, pressure, and the impact of online abuse on players.

She turned professional as a teenager and has competed in Grand Slam events, like the Australian Open, but has faced repeated setbacks on and off the court.

Aiava has not detailed her schedule for 2026 but indicated she intends to complete the season before stepping away from professional tennis.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Favour Ashe switches allegiance from Nigeria to Qatar

Published

on

Nigerian sprinter Favour Ashe has confirmed his decision to switch international allegiance from Nigeria to Qatar. The 100m runner, who holds a personal best of 9.79 seconds, said the move was driven by long standing issues within Nigerian athletics.

Ashe disclosed that he has been based in Qatar for the last five months and is already preparing to compete under his new flag. He described the Nigerian athletics environment as unfavourable to his development and said he was seeking stability and proper support.

The sprinter pointed to his disqualification from the 100m final at the National Sports Festival in Abeokuta as a turning point. He said the incident highlighted broader problems around athlete welfare and organisation.

  • Destanee Aiava confirms 2026 will be her Final year on TourDestanee Aiava confirms 2026 will be her Final year on Tour

Advertisement

According to Ashe, Qatar has  structured training, international competition opportunities, and consistent athlete support.

He also confirmed that the Qatar Athletics Federation has arranged overseas training camps as part of its programme.

Ashe added that several young Nigerian athletes are already part of Qatar’s Olympic training system and warned that more could follow if conditions do not improve at home.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Carl Froch forced to leave Tyson Fury interview following John Fury encounter

Published

on

Though Tyson Fury’s press conference with Arslanbek Makhmudov was cordial, there was unnecessary drama beforehand courtesy of his father, John.

Fury will return to the ring on April 11 to face Russia’s Makhmudov, the main event topping a bill at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and streamed live on Netflix. The pair came face to face in London today to speak to the media.

On the Netflix broadcast of the presser was Froch, who has built a brand of no holds barred commentary following his retirement from professional fighting. On his YouTube channel, Froch on Fighting, he has criticised John Fury, though often in jest.

Advertisement

John Fury, who may be a strong voice in Tyson’s camp during this comeback run, clearly held a grudge, and demanded to see and fight Froch on arrival, as captured by Netflix as well as various media outlets.

Though Froch remained in broadcasting position during the tirade, he was then absent following the press conference for the interview with Tyson, which was conducted by Anna Woolhouse and Lennox Lewis. Froch, a Hall of Fame inductee, then returned when ‘The Gypsy King’ left the stage and took part in the interview with Makhmudov, suggesting that Fury’s team may have insisted he leave for that segment or indeed that the production team felt tensions could rise once more.

Woolhouse said:

Advertisement

“We’ve allowed Carl back in the building, because Carl, you weren’t really allowed to be here when Tyson was here. You’ve upset John, I believe.”

Froch then added:

“It was a long time ago, but he’s all mouth and no action.”

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

How can Australia qualify after their 8-wicket loss against Sri Lanka?

Published

on

Sri Lanka beat Australia by eight wickets at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium on Monday, February 16 in a Group B match of T20 World Cup 2026. With their third consecutive win, Sri Lanka also confirmed their place in the Super 8 round of the ICC event. They have six points and a run rate of +2.462.

Bowling first after winning the toss, Sri Lanka conceded 181 runs in 20 overs. Mitchell Marsh (54 off 27) and Travis Head (56 off 29) hit half-centuries for Australia. For Sri Lanka, Dushan Hemantha claimed 3-37. The Lankans romped home in the chase as Pathum Nissanka smashed 100* off 52 balls, while Kusal Mendis hit 51 off 38 and Pavan Rathnayake 28* off 15.

For Australia, this was their second loss in as many games, putting serious question marks over their chances of qualifying for the Super 8 round of the T20 World Cup. The Aussies are currently third in the points table in Group B, with two points and a net run rate of +0.414.

To qualify for the Super 8 round of T20 World Cup 2026, Australia will have to beat Oman in their last group match and also hope that other results go their way. If Zimbabwe win one of their remaining two group games against Sri Lanka or Ireland, they will move up to six points and knock Australia out of the tournament.

On the other than, if Zimbabwe lose both of their remaining group games and Australia beat Oman, Australia, Zimbabwe and Ireland will finish the group stage with four points each. The net run rate will then decide which team progresses to the Super 8 stage.


Australia, Zimbabwe & Ireland: List of remaining Group B matches in T20 World Cup 2026

Australia’s last group match in T20 World Cup 2026 will be against Oman in Pallekele on February 20. Zimbabwe, who have two group games left, will face Ireland in Pallekele on February 17 and Sri Lanka in Colombo on February 19.

Advertisement

February 17: Ireland vs Zimbabwe, Pallekele (3pm)

February 19: Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe, RPS Colombo (3pm)

February 20: Australia vs Oman, Pallekele (7pm)


Apart from Sri Lanka, India, West Indies, England and South Africa have also qualified for the Super 8 round of T20 World Cup 2026.

Advertisement