Connect with us

Sports

Rory McIlroy admits concerns as Scottie Scheffler wins first FedEx Cup play-off event

Published

on

St Jude Championship – round four leaderboard

-17 S Scheffler (US); -9 Kim (Kor); -8 A Noren (Swe), S Burns (US); -7 W Clark (US), Im (Kor)

Selected others: -6 L Aberg (Swe), T Fleetwood (Eng); -5 M Fitzpatrick (Eng); -4 V Hovland (Nor), J Spieth (US); -3 H Hall (Eng); E J Rose; +3 S Lowry; +8 R McIlroy (NI)

Full leaderboard

Advertisement

Rory McIlroy says “he felt lost” as he toiled to a 66th-place finish – 25 strokes behind champion Scottie Scheffler – at the St Jude Championship.

While world number one Scheffler was a cut above the rest at 17 under overall as he claimed his first victory since January, more concerning for McIlory was that his eight-over total left him ahead of just two players in the first of the three FedEx Cup play-off events.

The Northern Irishman, who won his second Masters title earlier this season had not played competitively since the Open Championship in July.

And it told at TPC Southwind, where he failed to record a single round under par across the four days and struggled to find the sort of rhythm that will be needed if he is to claim an unprecedented fourth FedEx Cup later this month.

Advertisement

“I’m so far away from where I need to be to even feel like I have a chance. I’ve just got to keep working and hope it turns around a little bit,” said McIlroy, who is 13th in the season-long standings.

“Obviously didn’t come in here with a ton of reps, (it) almost felt like the more the week went on the more I felt lost with my golf swing a little bit.

“I guess [it was] nice to shake the rust off a little bit but I’m going to have to work pretty hard between now and next Thursday to feel like I have any sort of golf game to compete next week.

“To me it’s more about the execution of what I’m doing right now, and the execution wasn’t there this week.”

Advertisement

McIlroy’s struggles were obvious particularly in from tee to green where he ranked 62nd out of 68 players for strokes gained.

However, he would at least have been able to take some comfort from a seven-hole stretch on the back nine where he knocked in four birdies, albeit he finished with successive bogeys to bookend a round which began with a six on the par-four opening hole.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Can Roman Reigns deny Solo Sikoa in The Bloodline for one big reason? Exploring the possibility

Published

on

Roman Reigns is set to return on the Aug. 17 episode of WWE RAW after missing last week’s show, which featured major developments in the Bloodline saga. Jey Uso faced Solo Sikoa in a high-stakes impromptu match, with the stipulation that if The Yeet Man wins, The Street Champion would be forced to join the family. On the other hand, a Sikoa win would make him a free man from the Bloodline.

Thanks to Jimmy Uso’s interference, Jey Uso won the bout. As a result, this week, Solo Sikoa will be forced to rejoin The Bloodline in the presence of The OTC.

However, Roman could deny Solo Sikoa’s entry into The Bloodline.

The Tribal Chief could go off on Jey Uso for making his own rules and not bothering to ask him once before making such a big decision, which could have cost them if he had lost.

The OTC could also call out The Yeet Man and Big Jim for cheating to win, something Reigns has been avoiding himself.

However, The Usos breaking the rule could put them at odds with the Tribal Chief, who follows an entirely different philosophy. Therefore, Roman Reigns could deny Sikoa entry into the group and let him go for a while, creating a gripping segment, planting seeds of tension within the Bloodline, and potentially building toward another civil war.

Meanwhile, this would also help Solo Sikoa continue to grow as a babyface superstar on Monday Night RAW.

Advertisement

That said, the angle proposed above is speculative, and nothing has been officially confirmed yet.

Former WWE United States Champion takes shots at Roman Reigns ahead of RAW

The Original Tribal Chief is on a dominant run as the World Heavyweight Champion and has already defended his strap thrice.

AAA General Manager Rey Mysterio recently announced that Roman Reigns will defend his strap on the Sept. 14 edition of WWE RAW in Mexico City. The winner of the cross-brand Luchador tournament, featuring luchadores from RAW, SmackDown, AAA, and NXT, will earn a title shot.

Penta is one of those stars; he already punched his ticket to the tournament’s semi-finals and is just two steps away from a title match. The former United States Champion appeared on this week’s AAA episode and issued a chilling warning to Roman Reigns, claiming he would win the tournament.

Advertisement

“You have never faced a wrestler like Penta, you’ve never been in front of a man like Penta, a man who has fought for everything, even his life, to gain everything I’ve gained in my career. Roman, I’ve never need a family or a faction or a group to accomplish my objectives. Penta has fought for himself and for all his people, that is Penta. I respect you as a wrestler, but when I win this tournament, I’m going straight to Mexico City, I’m gonna see you face to face and show you who is Penta,” he said. (Translated from Spanish) (30:30 onwards)

With Sunday Night’s Main Event and 2026 Money in the Bank on the way, it will be interesting to see what plans Triple H and the WWE creative crew have in store for Roman Reigns and his Bloodline in the coming weeks.