Connect with us

Sports

Hot start has North scampering to three-point lead

Published

on

Zoji Edoc: Ace —CONTRIBUTED PHOTOZoji Edoc: Ace —CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

Zoji Edoc: Ace —CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

Defending champion Team North broke out of the proverbial gates as hard as it could on Tuesday by winning the first three matches and going on to take a 7-1/2-4-1/2 lead after the Fourball format that got the ICTSI Elite Junior PGT Championship going at Pueblo de Oro in Cagayan de Oro.

Zoji Edoc highlighted the hot start by draining an ace from 80 yards with a 54-degree wedge on the 13th, as his team-up with Kenzo Tan rallied from a hole down to take a 3&2 win over South’s Stephen Clementer and Darren Ong in the boys’ 7-10.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

That victory was sandwiched by Zach Guico and Kingston Ching carving out a 5&4 win over Ethan Lago and Lucas Revilleza in the first boys’ 7-10, before Chan Ahn and Vito Sarines made it three straight with a 6&4 thumping of the Ken Guillermo-Mico Woo tandem.

“The [lopsided result] was really unexpected,” said North coach Joey Anciano. “When we saw South’s lineup, I wasn’t expecting anything. I just told the kids to play, trust their teammates, and they did.”

A three-point lead is big, especially this one that came on the road for the North as the Southerners couldn’t take advantage of their familiarity with the rolling layout and will play catch-up for the second straight year as the Foursomes format will be used on Wednesday.

“[That’s] really big for an away team. We traveled to an unfamiliar territory, so we were just aiming for at least a tie today, which would have been good,” Anciano added. “We’re very fortunate.”

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

Last year, the North zoomed out to an 8-4 lead and were never really threatened the rest of the week at The Country Club in Laguna.

The first South win came courtesy of 14-year-old wonder Ralph Batican and Jared Saban, who pulled out a 4&2 victory over Javie Bautista and Jacob Casuga in the other boys’ 11-14 match.

The victory of Shin Suzuki and Santi Asuncion in one of the boys’ premier 15-18 matches over Alexis Nailga and Clement Ordeneza, 4&2, put an exclamation point on the Day 1 rout.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

One South win that was worth mentioning was the 2&1 win of Princess Zaragosa and Tashanah Balangauan over National Strokeplay champion Lisa Sarines and Rafa Anciano in the girls’ 15-18. INQ



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

France’s Léon Marchand wins first European title in front of home crowd – Sports

Published

on

Day six of the European Championships in Paris saw four-time Olympic champion Léon Marchand claim his first continental title by winning the 200m butterfly final. There was another gold medal for France later in the evening, with Mary-Ambre Moluh setting a new European record to win the 100m backstroke final.

Paris Saint-Germain kick off their domestic campaign on Sunday evening with a trip to Lens for the Trophée des Champions. A few days on from their UEFA Super Cup triumph, Luis Enrique’s men will look to clinch their fourth trophy of the calendar year by beating last season’s Coupe de France winners.

The football season on the other side of the Channel also has its curtain-raiser on Sunday, with Manchester City taking Arsenal in Cardiff for the Community Shield. Enzo Maresca is keen to kick off his reign as City manager with silverware, while Mikel Arteta has sought to reassure fans as his contract with the Gunners enters its final year.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Update on former AEW star headed to WWE

Published

on

A recent report provides an update about a popular pro wrestler headed to WWE. He is expected to join forces with a former champion.

Earlier this year, it was reported that former five-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi had signed a multi-year deal with the Stamford-based promotion. WWE has been teasing his arrival via vignettes and social media. He is expected to join forces with fellow Japanese star Shinsuke Nakamura.

In the most recent edition of Fightful Select Answers, Sean Ross Sapp answered a question about Hiromu Takahashi. SRS reported that as hinted on Friday Night Smackdown, the former AEW star was headed to World Wrestling Entertainment and planned to team up with Shinsuke Nakamura. He further noted that he was surprised that the 36-year-old was not headed to NXT.

Advertisement

Shinsuke Nakamura is going after the MFTs, and Hiromu Takahashi would be a great partner given his extensive history with Tama Tonga and Tonga Loa in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

WWE Superstar Shinsuke Nakamura seemingly confirmed that Hiromu Takahashi is his mystery partner

In a vignette that aired on the most recent edition of Friday Night SmackDown, Shinsuke Nakamura appeared to have revealed his mystery partner’s identity.

The King of Strong Style sarcastically congratulated the MFTs on winning the WWE Tag Team Championship. He warned the heel faction, stating that he and his new partner would destroy them.

The former three-time WWE United States Champion massively put over his partner and referred to him as a ticking time bomb. It seemingly confirmed that Hiromu Takahashi would be the one joining him as he earned the nickname “Ticking Time Bomb” during his run in New Japan Pro Wrestling in 2016.

Advertisement

“MFTs, congratulations! You are now the champions. Are you savoring the feeling, knowing it will be gone soon? Was the victory as sweet, knowing what’s coming next? Me, my partner – your destruction. My partner is what you all pretend to be. Experienced, vicious, deadly. He is chaos. He’s a ticking time bomb. Take cover,” Nakamura said.

It will be interesting to see when Hiromu Takahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura show up on Friday Night SmackDown.