Connect with us

Sports

ILCA 7 Men’s World Championship in Dún Laoghaire, 23–30 August 2026

Published

on

Over 140 Olympic-class sailors from 46 nations will compete on Dublin Bay when the ILCA 7 Men’s World Championship comes to Dún Laoghaire from 23–30 August.

This will be the first time since 2001 that Ireland will host a World Championship for an Olympic sailing class.

The event will be hosted jointly by the Royal St George Yacht Club and the National Yacht Club. The Championship will bring the world’s leading ILCA 7 sailors (athletes who compete in the men’s single-handed dinghy at the Olympic Games) to Irish waters.

Irish Sailors

Ireland will be represented by Olympian Finn Lynch (National Yacht Club), Ewan McMahon (Howth Yacht Club), Fiachra McDonnell (Royal Irish Yacht Club), Tom Coulter (East Antrim Boat Club), Bobby Driscoll (Ballyholme Yacht Club) and Roger Craig (Royal St George Yacht Club).

Advertisement

With the new Olympic cycle well under way, the championship will provide an important early benchmark on the road to the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games. It offers Irish sailors the chance to test themselves against the world’s best on home waters.

Training camps

Several international teams have already held training camps in Dún Laoghaire. June’s Coaches Invitational Regatta provided an early opportunity for competitors to test the venue with Britain’s Elliot Hanson taking the ILCA 7 title, with Finn Lynch finishing level on points for third place. Ireland’s Eve McMahon won the women’s ILCA 6 event.

Six days of competition

The event, which promises six days of world-class competition, will be a significant milestone for Irish sailing as the sport builds towards LA 2028. Racing begins Tuesday next, 25 August.

The event will be followed by the Women’s ILCA 6 World Championship which takes place on Dublin Bay 5 – 12 September 2026.

Advertisement


LiveScores Now Available at IrishScores.com

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

James Toney makes new KO prediction for Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn after watching Garcia train

Published

on

Ryan Garcia will make a first career world title defence when he takes on Conor Benn next month, and after watching the Californian train, three-division world champion James Toney has made his prediction for the contest.

‘King Ry’ dominated Mario Barrios to get his hands on the WBC world title back in February, comprehensively outboxing ‘El Azteca’ and showcasing his power, composure and skill as much as his world-renowned speed.

Since then, Benn has been installed as Garcia’s mandatory challenger, despite the fact that he has not competed as a welterweight since April 2022, with that mandated contest scheduled to take place on Saturday, September 12.

Advertisement

Should he be successful, it seems as though unifications will be next on Garcia’s mind, with the victor of Rolly Romero vs Teofimo Lopez deemed the most likely next fight, whilst a grudge match rematch with WBO titleholder Devin Haney is one that fans will always be keen to see.

Speaking to FightHype whilst watching Garcia train, ‘Lights Out’ Toney said that he expects ‘King Ry’ to get the job done inside of five rounds and thus hand Benn the first knockout defeat of his career.

“Definitely [he is looking vicious]. [He is going to win inside] five rounds.”

Including his eventual no-contest against Haney, Garcia has gone the distance in his last three bouts and has not scored a win inside of the distance since 2023.

Although, with Benn understood to be struggling to make the 147lb weight limit, Garcia could be able to capitalise and score a statement win.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Maeve Plouffe: Rider ‘nearly hit’ by car on day one of Tour of Britain Women

Published

on

Australian rider Maeve Plouffe says she narrowly avoided being hit by a car in Cumbria during the first stage of the Tour Of Britain Women.

The Netherlands’ Lorena Wiebes retained the leader’s green jersey with victory on stage two in Lancashire.

Plouffe, 27, who rides for British continental team O’Shea Red Chilli Bikes, said the incident happened on a roundabout as she was chasing back to the peloton, following a puncture on Wednesday.

She was taking part in the opening stage, which began and ended in Cockermouth.

Advertisement

Posting on Instagram, she wrote: “While the race convoy was still in sight, and I was less than two minutes down, there were cars from the general public coming at me from all directions, including one that nearly hit me on a roundabout.

“Later on, the moto escort was wonderful and I felt much safer. But considering the recent devastating events in our cycling community, it’s scary to see situations like this, when we know that this can have horrific consequences, especially so soon after suffering such a tragedy.”

Plouffe was referring to the death of 19-year-old British rider Fin Tarling, who was killed last week in a high-speed collision with a van, which had strayed on to the road during the eighth stage of the Volta a Portugal.

Before the Tour of Britain Women began, there was a tribute to Tarling with a photograph of him projected on to a large screen and a minute’s applause which all 114 riders and spectators took part in.

Advertisement

Tarling was the younger brother of Netcompany Inoes rider Josh Tarling, who was announced on Thursday in the team’s line-up for the Vuelta a Espana three-week Grand Tour, which begins on Saturday.

Reacting to Plouffe’s social media post, Jonathan Day, the events director of British Cycling Ventures – a commercial entity of British Cycling, which organises the Tour of Britain Women – issued a statement to the BBC.

In it, Day said: “We note Maeve Plouffe’s comments about her experience during yesterday’s race, and we’re taking these extremely seriously.

“Rider safety is paramount and will always be treated as a priority in our planning and how we operate any race.

Advertisement

“We’re reviewing what happened with Maeve and her team O’Shea Red Chilli Bikes with the seriousness and empathy these comments demand.

“We recognise this comes at an especially difficult time for the cycling community, so we want to reassure all riders, teams and fans of the sport at this time of how serious we are treating these comments.”

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Son of NHL legend Henrik Sedin, Valter signs MLS NEXT deal with Whitecaps

Published

on

The Vancouver Whitecaps have signed Valter Sedin, son of local hockey legend Henrik Sedin, to a professional contract.

The Major League Soccer club announced Thursday that the 19-year-old midfielder has inked a deal with Whitecaps FC 2 of MLS NEXT Pro, a developmental league below Major League Soccer, through June 2028.

The agreement means he can be called up to the MLS team on a short-term agreement.

Sedin hails from Vancouver, where his dad played 17 years for the Canucks and is currently the NHL team’s co-president of hockey operations alongside his twin brother Daniel Sedin.

Advertisement

Valter Sedin joined the Whitecaps’ academy in 2020 and spent five years there before moving to Sweden in February 2025 to play for Hammarby IF’s U-17 team.

This summer, he helped Canada’s U-20 side qualify for the 2027 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan, marking the country’s first return to the tournament since 2007 when it served as host.

“Valter grew through our academy program before testing himself in Sweden,” Whitecaps sporting director Axel Schuster said in a release. 

“He is a young player who has always had the right mentality, and he did very well in helping Canada qualify for the U-20 World Cup. We look forward to continuing to work with him in his development.”

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Geelong Cats vs Richmond Tigers Tips, Odds and Teams – AFL Round 24 2026

Published

on

GMHBA Stadium will play host to Saturday’s
Round 24 AFL game between Geelong Cats and
Richmond Tigers. The game kicks off at 7:45 pm with Geelong Cats heading into the game as favourites with the bookmakers. Continue reading for our in-depth preview of the Geelong Cats vs.
Richmond Tigers
game and give you our free tips and bets.

When: Saturday August 22, 2026 at 7:45 pm

Where: GMHBA Stadium

Bet 💰: Bet On This Match HERE

Advertisement

Geelong Cats vs Richmond Tigers Odds

Geelong Cats vs Richmond Tigers Preview

Geelong recovered from a seven-goal-to-one opening quarter to defeat North Melbourne 125-110, responding with nine majors in the second term. Mark Blicavs kicked three goals, Bailey Smith amassed 34 disposals and Ollie Dempsey added 24 touches, nine marks and a goal. The Cats sit sixth and a victory should protect a valuable top-six finish. Richmond’s 94-45 loss to St Kilda continued a difficult run against leading opponents, although Dion Prestia fought hard with 27 disposals in his final home appearance. Geelong won the corresponding late-season fixture 103-64 last year and has been consistently strong at GMHBA Stadium. Richmond can threaten if it brings early pressure, as North demonstrated, but the Cats’ depth and ability to alter the game after quarter-time should prove decisive.

Head To Head Bet

We’re tipping Geelong Cats to win at $1.02 odds.

Advertisement

First Goal Scorer

Advertisement

First Goal Scorer:

Oliver Henry at $8.50.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Adelaide Crows vs GWS GIANTS Tips, Odds and Teams – AFL Round 24 2026

Published

on

Adelaide Oval will play host to Saturday’s
Round 24 AFL game between Adelaide Crows and
GWS GIANTS. The game kicks off at 8:10 pm with Adelaide Crows heading into the game as favourites with the bookmakers. Continue reading for our in-depth preview of the Adelaide Crows vs.
GWS GIANTS
game and give you our free tips and bets.

When: Saturday August 22, 2026 at 8:10 pm

Where: Adelaide Oval

Bet 💰: Bet On This Match HERE

Advertisement

Adelaide Crows vs GWS GIANTS Odds

Adelaide Crows vs GWS GIANTS Preview

Adelaide returns home needing victory and favourable results to reach the top six after Fremantle ended its charge with a 112-88 defeat. Izak Rankine was outstanding despite the loss, gathering 39 disposals, creating 13 score involvements and kicking a goal. Greater support around the contest will be essential against a GWS side that beat West Coast 111-57 last week, even though Carlton’s draw closed the Giants’ Wildcard path. Adelaide has won eight of its past nine home matches and defeated GWS 52-34 in their 2025 meeting, while the past four clashes between these clubs have all been decided by 19 points or fewer. The Giants’ talent should keep the pressure on deep into the night, but the Crows’ home record and stronger finals incentive provide a narrow edge.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

"This man is a clown" – Fans react to Jamahal Hill's new 'Bruce Buffer announcement moves' skit as a heavyweight fighter

Published

on

Jamahal Hill recently sent fans into a frenzy after posting a funny skit of him practicing some warm-up moves to do in the octagon while Bruce Buffer announced him as a heavyweight fighter.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Brazil’s Maracana Stadium to host opening, final of 2027 Women’s World Cup

Published

on

RIO DE JANEIRO — The Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro will host the opening match and the final of the Women’s World Cup next year, FIFA announced Thursday.

Brazil is the first South American nation to host the tournament and will play in the opener on June 24 against a yet-to-be-determined opponent in the 73,000-seat Maracana, which also hosted the 2014 men’s World Cup final.

The hosts will also play in Sao Paulo and Brasilia during the group phase of the 32-team competition spread across eight Brazilian cities.

The final is scheduled for July 25.

Advertisement

The Maracana is one of soccer’s most iconic venues, having hosted the decisive match of the 1950 men’s World Cup, with Uruguay crowned champions after beating the hosts 2-1. In the final of the 2014 edition, Germany lifted its fourth title after a 1-0 extra-time win against Lionel Messi’s Argentina.

So far, only Sweden’s Rasunda Stadium and California’s Rose Bowl have hosted both the men’s and women’s World Cup finals.

Spain is the defending champion. Brazil has never won the title.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Mohun Bagan vs NorthEast United LIVE Updates, Durand Cup 2026 Semi-Final: Mohun Bagan Survive Huge Scare, NorthEast Waste Golden Chance | MBSG 0-0 NEUFC

Published

on

Mohun Bagan vs NorthEast United LIVE Updates, Durand Cup 2026: The second half of the Durand Cup 2026 semi-final between Mohun Bagan and NorthEast United is underway, in Shillong. Mohun Bagan and NorthEast United are drawing 0-0 after 70 minutes in the second half. It is a clash between the record winners and the reigning champions, with a spot in the final at stake. 17-time champions Mohun Bagan are looking to set up a final showdown against arch-rivals East Bengal, after a thrilling 9-8 penalty shootout win over Jamshedpur FC in the quarters. On the other hand, after winning the Durand Cup in the last two years, NorthEast United are aiming to accomplish an unprecedented three-peat.

Here are the LIVE Score and Updates from Mohun Bagan vs NorthEast United, Durand Cup 2026 Semi-Final, straight from Shillong:

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Essendon Bombers vs Port Adelaide Power Tips, Odds and Teams – AFL Round 24 2026

Published

on

Marvel Stadium will play host to Sunday’s
Round 24 AFL game between Essendon Bombers and
Port Adelaide Power. The game kicks off at 12:20 pm with Port Adelaide Power heading into the game as favourites with the bookmakers. Continue reading for our in-depth preview of the Essendon Bombers vs.
Port Adelaide Power
game and give you our free tips and bets.

When: Sunday August 23, 2026 at 12:20 pm

Where: Marvel Stadium

Bet 💰: Bet On This Match HERE

Advertisement

Essendon Bombers vs Port Adelaide Power Odds

Essendon Bombers vs Port Adelaide Power Preview

Essendon must respond after a slow start contributed to a 112-76 loss to Sydney. Vigo Visentini showed promise with 19 disposals, nine marks and a goal, while Will Setterfield gathered 32 touches and remained involved in the Bombers’ better passages. Port Adelaide was also comprehensively beaten, falling 132-56 to Melbourne, and now faces uncertainty around Zak Butters while Aliir Aliir is unavailable after concussion. Port dominated the Round 2 meeting 133-70, but neither side arrives with much momentum. Essendon’s young group has an opportunity to finish the season positively at Marvel Stadium, although its long run of poor results in Victoria remains a concern. Port’s greater midfield experience and Mitch Georgiades’ presence inside 50 should be enough to steady the visitors in a scrappy contest.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Shubman Gill’s eye for talent: How a Mohali youngster’s life changed after one net session | Cricket News

Published

on

Shubman Gill’s eye for talent: How a Mohali youngster’s life changed after one net session
Shubman Gill with Kirandeep Singh at the IS Bindra PCA Stadium in Mohali. (Special Arrangement)

NEW DELHI: For Kirandeep Singh, the moment Shubman Gill noticed him was more than just another net session. It was the moment a youngster from Cholta Kalan, a village in Punjab’s Mohali district, began to believe that his cricketing dream could become a reality.Kirandeep was playing tennis-ball cricket when he first came to Gill’s attention in 2025. He had gone for practice in Mohali when he was told that Gill was around. Later, the two crossed paths at the Mullanpur International Cricket Stadium, where Kirandeep got the opportunity to bowl to the India star for the first time.Gill did not take long to spot something in the youngster.“He said, ‘You are bowling really well.’ I told him that I was playing tennis-ball cricket,” Kirandeep recalled.Gill’s response changed the direction of Kirandeep’s cricketing journey.“He then said, ‘You shouldn’t play tennis-ball cricket anymore. From now on, you have to play with a leather ball.’ He told me to stop playing tennis-ball cricket and said, ‘If you ever need anything, just let us know.’”That encouragement stayed with Kirandeep as he worked towards making the switch to leather-ball cricket and chasing a professional career.Now, the 20-year-old has another chance to turn that advice into a breakthrough. Fazilka Falcons bought him for Rs 20,000 in the Sher-e-Punjab T20 auction, giving the youngster an opportunity to play in the same team as Gill, who will captain the side.For Kirandeep, the journey from the government school ground in Cholta Kalan to the Sher-e-Punjab T20 is already a story of opportunity. The next chapter will be about proving that Gill’s eye for talent was right.The tournament is set to begin on August 30.

Should more established players mentor younger talents in cricket?

3k+ users shared opinion today

5k+ users already voted today

3k+ users shared opinion today

Advertisement

Share Opinion

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025