Connect with us

Sports

Gold Coast Belle kicks off 2026 spring campaign with Sandown victory

Published

on

Gold Coast Belle is set for a more demanding campaign after commencing her racing return with a win at Sandown on Saturday.

Trainer Danny O’Brien has indicated a progression to Group 2 company for the four-year-old mare, who decisively outclassed her rivals, including the previously unbeaten Tennessee Bound, in the $150,000 Dr Sheahan Plate (1300m) restricted to benchmark 88 performers.

The daughter of So You Think notched her fourth straight win on her first start since capturing the Listed Bendigo Guineas (1400m) on May 1. O’Brien confirmed that the Group 2 Let’s Elope Stakes (1400m) at their home track of Flemington on September 12 is the next target.

“She’s probably in set-weights Stakes races for the rest of the spring, but this looked a good starting point for her and, fortunately, that’s the way it panned out,” O’Brien said. “She was always travelling very comfortably and let down really well. She got across the softish ground with no problem, so there were a few things we hadn’t seen before that she did today.”

Advertisement

“She gets to the Let’s Elope and then the other mares’ race on Turnbull Day (Group 2 Rose Of Kingston Stakes) – they’re both 1400 at Flemington – which looks the right set-up for her.”

While the Let’s Elope Stakes and Rose Of Kingston Stakes often serve as stepping stones to the Group 1 Empire Rose Stakes (1600m) on Derby Day, O’Brien expressed hope for an invitation to the $2 million Group 2 The Invitation in Sydney a week earlier.

Gold Coast Belle ($2.30) proved too strong for Tennessee Bound, which was aiming for a seventh successive victory to begin its career, finishing 2-1/4 lengths ahead of the $2.70 second favourite, with Moby Dick ($13) a neck further back in third.

This victory represented Gold Coast Belle’s fifth win from just seven career starts, with her other two appearances resulting in second-place finishes.

Advertisement

Although Jordan Childs has been her regular rider, O’Brien utilized the services of top apprentice Logan Bates, who still benefits from a 1.5kg claim for Saturday’s race. The young jockey felt in command of the race throughout.

“We were able to get in a nice controlling position and she just trucked the whole way,” Bates commented. “When I did ask her, gee she let go, and she was having a good look about. She just showed her class today.”

Consider the online bookmakers for your betting needs on this race.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Harry Kane named men’s footballer of the year in Germany

Published

on

Bayern Munich striker Harry Kane has been named men’s Player of the Year in Germany after a record-breaking season for the Bundesliga champions.

Bayern coach Vincent Kompany was voted trainer of the year, while Germany defender Giulia Gwinn completed a clean sweep for the Munich club by winning the women’s Player of the Year award.

“A Bayern double — never before have the men and women’s Player of the Year awards gone to the same club. Congratulations to Harry and Giulia, as well as our coach Vincent,” Bayern president Herbert Hainer said in a club statement. “When men’s and women’s football makes history together, then that’s Bayern, making a mark. We’re proud of this result.”

Advertisement

Why was Harry Kane named Germany’s footballer of the year?

Kane received 272 votes from members of the Association of German Sports Journalists, comfortably ahead of Bayern teammate Michael Olise on 203.

Stuttgart and Germany striker Deniz Undav finished third with 61 votes.

England captain Kane scored 61 goals in 51 competitive appearances for Bayern last season.

“It was the best season of my career so far,” Kane said last week after winning the European Golden Shoe for the second time.

Advertisement

His club form was followed by another strong World Cup run with England, where he scored six goals as the team reached the semifinals. Kane also became England’s all-time leading scorer at World Cups, taking his overall tournament tally to 14.

The 33-year-old was also awarded the European Golden Shoe for the second time in his career after finishing as the continent’s leading league goalscorer.

Former Bayern striker Luca Toni said Kane also deserved to win the Ballon d’Or, football’s leading individual award.

Kompany takes coach of the year, Gwinn wins women’s award

Kompany was the clear winner among coaches, receiving 314 votes after guiding Bayern to a league and cup double.

Advertisement
Giulia Gwinn celebrates her side's third goal during a German women's Bundesliga soccer match
Defender Giulia Gwinn picked up the prize after helping Bayern Munich to a domestic doubleImage: AP

Freiburg coach Julian Schuster, who won the award last year, finished second with 87 votes, while Stuttgart’s Sebastian Hoeneß was third with 53.

Schuster praised Kompany’s work, saying the Belgian was not only a good coach but also made those around him better.

Gwinn won the women’s award outright after sharing first place with goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger last year.

“This is an honor and a validation of my journey,” Gwinn said. 

The 27-year-old Bayern defender received 106 votes, narrowly beating teammate Klara Bühl on 94.

Advertisement

Don’t let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google by clicking here and hitting the “star” or “preferred” button so you’ll see our verified news first.

Edited by: Sean Sinico

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Ayyoub Bouaddi: Man City agree £86m deal for Lille midfielder

Published

on

Bouaddi impressed at this summer’s World Cup – starting five of Morocco’s six matches in their run to the quarter-finals – after a starring role in Lille’s Champions League victory over Real Madrid in 2024 announced him on the big stage.

He functions as a deep-lying conductor and would complement Anderson, who is comfortable as a box-to-box midfielder as well as the number six role he plays for England.

Bouaddi has played 88 times for Lille since making his debut in October 2023, three days after his 16th birthday, and helped them finish third in Ligue 1 last season.

He became the youngest footballer to ever play for Lille when he made his senior debut against KI just a few days after turning 16 in 2023.

Advertisement

He was serenaded by those inside the Stade Pierre-Mauroy after helping Lille defeat Real Madrid in the Champions League on his 17th birthday.

He then broke a record held by Eden Hazard after making 50 Ligue 1 appearances for Lille at the age of just 18.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Teofimo Lopez sums up Rolly Romero’s power after surviving thunderous right hand

Published

on

Teofimo Lopez beat Rolando Romero over twelve in Las Vegas this weekend to become WBA welterweight world champion.

The PBC main event failed to catch fire, with Lopez banking rounds through activity and accuracy while ‘Rolly’ – who was upgraded to full WBA champion last year – was largely passive and looking for a fight-changing shot.

That almost came in the fifth, when Lopez was rocked to his boots by a huge overhand right. Though he also suffered a cut from the exchange, the 29-year-old recovered and continued to control the action.

Advertisement

Speaking to Fight Hub TV post-fight, Lopez said he was ‘thankful’ that he was caught clean in the fifth stanza.

“I’m so thankful for that punch. That thing woke me up and made me realise why I’m doing what I’m doing. I bit down on that mouthpiece and said ‘you gotta do better than that to get me out, we gonna fight, let’s go.’”

Asked to analyse Romero’s power, which has produced 13 knockouts in 17 wins, Lopez was not overawed, though did brand him the biggest puncher in the division.

Advertisement

“It’s strong, I’d say. His right is stronger than his left. I’m happy to take out the biggest puncher at 147.”

As for the rest of the welterweight scene, Lopez will likely ignore Romero’s calls for a rematch and look to unify against one of his fellow champions. Devin Haney currently holds the WBO, Liam Paro the IBF and Ryan Garcia the WBC, though he puts that on the line in September against mandatory challenger Conor Benn.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Manchester United Complete Carlos Baleba Deal

Published

on

Manchester United have completed the formalities of their deal for Carlos Baleba, with the club and Brighton & Hove Albion exchanging all signed documents for the midfielder.

The deal is worth £65 million plus £5 million in add-ons, with Brighton also securing a sell-on clause. The agreement takes the potential value of the transfer to £70 million.

Baleba has been a long-term target for Manchester United and becomes the club’s third midfield signing of the summer, following Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos.

Advertisement

The 22-year-old Cameroon international joined Brighton from Lille in 2023 and has made 112 appearances for the club. His physicality, energy and ability to operate as a defensive midfielder are expected to strengthen United’s options in the centre of the pitch.

With all documents now signed and exchanged, Baleba’s move to Old Trafford is effectively complete as Manchester United continue to reshape their midfield ahead of the new season.

 

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

5 keys to making better contact and hitting the ball higher

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Red faces as Sydney Marathon medal shows German stadium

Published

on

Organizers of the 2026 Sydney Marathon are making the best of the situation after minting tens of thousands of medals engraved with depictions of landmarks from the eastern Australian city along with one that doesn’t belong — the Allianz Arena in Munich, Germany.

The medal should have instead shown the Allianz Stadium in Sydney, which is one of the sights that participants in the upcoming race will pass while running the the 42.2-kilometer (26.2-mile) course.

More than 40,000 participants are expected to earn the medal as a “badge of honor” for completing the race on August 30.

Other landmarks shown include the famous Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Advertisement
Aerial view of the Allianz Stadium in Sydney
Sydney’s Allianz Stadium also has its own unique appearanceImage: Rafael Ben Ari/Newscom/picture alliance

What have organizers said about the medal mix-up?

“A little too much international flavor has found its way onto the back of the finishers medal, with an incorrect depiction of the stadium,” a Sydney Marathon spokesperson said.

“We’re not going to run from it, it was an unfortunate error; though it’s certainly given everyone somehing to talk about this weekend, mostly in good humor,” the spokesperson said.

“With the event a week away, this is the medal our finishers will receive.”

“Behind every one of these medals is months of early mornings, long runs and quiet determination, and having it placed around your neck at the Sydney Opera House is a moment our participants will never forget,” the spokesperson added.

“It’s a beautiful medal, and now a little more unique.”

Advertisement

Good-humored reaction from Munich

Munich’s Allianz Arena has responded in light-hearted manner.

“Oh wow, we didn’t have that on our bingo card!” it posted on Instagram.

“Perhaps they tried to find something else they had in common: Allianz Arena — Sydney Opera — Unique Architecture — Both are worth a visit!”

The daily Sydney Morning Herald also came up with a gleefully teasing headline: “The medal that will put Sydney on the map. The wrong map.”  

Advertisement

The other side of the medal shows shows a gold-and-indigo pattern by First Nations artist Ambrose Killian that has been widely commended.

Killian has said he was not involved in the design of the side showing the landmarks.

Edited by: Natalie Muller

Tired of missing our real-time updates? Click here to add us as a Preferred Source on Google.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Liberty beat Fever as Leonie Fiebich returns

Published

on

New York Liberty forward Leonie Fiebich (13) catches a rebound during the second half of a WNBA basketball game against the Indiana Fever, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026, in New York. New York Liberty forward Leonie Fiebich (13) catches a rebound during the second half of a WNBA basketball game against the Indiana Fever, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026, in New York.

New York Liberty forward Leonie Fiebich (13) catches a rebound during the second half of a WNBA basketball game against the Indiana Fever, Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Angelina Katsanis)

NEW YORK— Breanna Stewart scored 22 points and Leonie Fiebich, playing her first game since July 3, added 20 to help the New York Liberty beat the Indiana Fever 109-102 in the WNBA on Saturday night.

Jonquel Jones added 19 points and 10 rebounds for New York (23-15) in an entertaining game.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

READ: WNBA: Liberty avoid record collapse to hold off Sparks

With the game tied at 100, Stewart made one of two free throws and then after Indiana missed, Fiebich had a basket and was fouled with 57.5 seconds. She missed the ensuing foul shot.

Caitlin Clark drove, but missed a running layup and Fiebich grabbed the rebound. Pauline Astier was fouled with 29.0 seconds left and hit both free throws to make it a five-point game.

Indiana (24-14) couldn’t recover.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

READ: WNBA: Midseason mystery for New York Liberty 

Both teams knew how important this game was with playoff positioning at stake as the standings are so tight for the third through eighth spots. New York led by four at the half and then Sabrina Ionescu and Fiebich got going. The pair combined for 19 of the Liberty’s 31 points in the period as New York extended its lead to 85-78 heading into the fourth.

Indiana rallied to tie it on Kelsey Mitchell’s 3-pointer with 1:44 left. Mitchell finished with 25 points. Aliyah Boston had 22 and Clark 21.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

New York finally had its full lineup healthy for the first time in nearly six weeks as Fiebich played her first game since suffering a foot injury. Jones was back after missing most of the Liberty’s last game against Chicago on Tuesday with a tweaked left ankle.

With Indiana visiting, there were rallies outside the arena before the game both for and against transgender women in sports. Fever reserve Sophie Cunningham had said in an ESPN profile published last month that she was opposed to transgender girls and women competing in girls’ and women’s sports. Cunningham was met with a mixture of boos and cheers from the sellout crowd.

Jones got going early, as she’s done ever since the All-Star break. The Liberty’s 6-foot-6 center had 17 points and seven rebounds at the half as New York held a 53-49 advantage.

Advertisement

The Fever are in the middle of a brutal stretch of five road games in eight days. They have gone 2-2 so far.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Myisha Hines-Allen left the game in the final minute after getting injured. She was still being evaluated after the game according to the Fever.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Brazillian football star Ronaldinho makes a comeback at the age of 46

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Gilas Women punch ticket to Fiba 3×3 U23 World Cup

Published

on

Gilas Pilipinas women rule Stop 6 final of the Fiba 3x3 Nations League-Asia SEA Conference.Gilas Pilipinas women rule Stop 6 final of the Fiba 3x3 Nations League-Asia SEA Conference.

Gilas Pilipinas women rule Stop 6 final of the Fiba 3×3 Nations League-Asia SEA Conference. –FIBA PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—The Gilas Pilipinas Women will be flying to Wuhan, China, next month after successfully punching a ticket to the Fiba 3×3 U23 World Cup.

On Sunday at Hextar World in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, the Philippines defeated Chinese Taipei, 17-15, in the Stop 6 final of the Fiba 3×3 Nations League-Asia SEA Conference.

Article continues after this advertisement

The U23 squad could have bolstered its chances in Stop 5 but fell to New Zealand, 16-11, 24 hours earlier.

Advertisement

Fortunately for the Gilas Women, the win over Chinese Taipei the next day effectively secured them a slot in the Wuhan games.

In the end, the Philippines finished with 510 points to book its berth in the World Cup.

Far Eastern University’s Amyah Espano and Victoria Pasilang, State U’s Kennan Ka and Marielle Vingno, and Adamson’s Jam Meniano bannered the Philippines in the U23 competition.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

Meanwhile, the Gilas U23 3×3 squad settled for second place in the same tournament.

After beating Vietnam and Chinese Taipei earlier in the day, the U23 boys fell to New Zealand in the final, 21-18.8.

The Gilas Women now join the Gilas Boys U21 3×3 squad as the Philippines’ other representative in the World Cup.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Advertisement


Your subscription has been successful.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Curtis Jones Joins Inter Milan from Liverpool for €30m

Published

on

Curtis Jones has officially joined Inter Milan from Liverpool in a deal worth €30 million plus €5 million in add-ons, with Liverpool also securing a 10% sell-on clause.

The 25-year-old midfielder has signed a contract with Inter until June 2031.

Jones leaves Liverpool after 16 years at the club, having joined the academy at the age of nine and gone on to make 228 first-team appearances.

Advertisement

He departs Anfield with six major trophies, including two Premier League titles and a Champions League, before beginning a new chapter in Serie A with Inter.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025