Connect with us

Business

Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction

Published

on

A white, custom version of the electric Ferrari Luce sold during a Sotheby's auction.

But Ferrari’s shares dropped the day after the Luce’s launch, following backlash over the car.

Amongst those criticising teh car were Italy’s deputy prime minister Matteo Salvini and former Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, who said the car was “risking the destruction of a legend”.

Ferrari’s chief design officer Flavio Manzoni said in an interview in May that critics are part of the innovation process and that he believed people would come to appreciate the Luce.

The company has not disclosed its target for Luce sales but, according to a Financial Times report, it has hit this year’s goal thanks to strong demand from China.

Advertisement

Ferrari did not respond to a BBC request for comment on the FT’s report,

Sotheby’s said in a statement, external that the auctioned vehicle marked an “unbeatable opportunity” to own the first production car of the Luce.

The car has special wheels, customised brakes and an exclusive white finish.

The charity sale marks a “tangible expression of innovation, responsibility, and long-term vision for future generations,” Sotheby’s said.

Advertisement

Ferraris often attract some of the highest prices at car auctions.

A bespoke Ferrari Daytona SP3 supercar raised $26m for the carmaker’s education initiatives at an auction in 2025. At the time it set an auction record for the highest-price paid for a new car.

The current record for the highest price paid at auction was an ultra-rare 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupé, which was sold for $142m in 2022.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Business

Sydney Swans Players Involved in Alleged Melbourne Hotel Incident as Police Investigate Sexual Assault Report

Published

on

Sydney Swans Players Involved in Alleged Melbourne Hotel Incident as

MELBOURNE — Victoria Police are investigating a report of sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne after the Sydney Swans confirmed that several of its players were involved in what the club described as an “alleged incident” following their Australian Football League match against Essendon on Sunday night.

The Swans issued a statement just after midday Monday confirming the involvement of multiple players, though the club did not name any individuals or provide details of what allegedly occurred. “The Swans have notified the AFL and relevant authorities and cannot provide further comment at this stage,” the club said in its statement.

Victoria Police separately confirmed detectives were investigating a report filed in connection with the incident. “Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” a police spokesperson said in a statement provided to Australian Associated Press. “The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.” The spokesperson added that the exact circumstances had yet to be established and that the investigation remained ongoing.

The alleged incident took place at the Pullman hotel in East Melbourne, where the Swans had been staying overnight following their 36-point victory over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday evening, a result that locked in second place on the AFL ladder and secured the club a home qualifying final as the finals series approaches. Marked and unmarked police vehicles were seen outside the hotel Monday morning as the investigation got underway.

Advertisement

Sydney Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed media at a brief press conference at the club’s headquarters Monday afternoon that lasted less than a minute. Pavlich told reporters the club was still working to establish the full details of what had taken place. “We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” he said. He described the club as “extremely shocked and disappointed” that the situation had arisen and acknowledged that speculation was likely to follow given the intense public interest in the matter, but said the club’s ability to comment further was limited while the case remained a police matter.

The Swans have not identified which or how many players were involved in the alleged incident, and no charges had been announced as of Monday afternoon. The club said it was cooperating with both the AFL and Victoria Police as the investigation continues.

The timing of the alleged incident places it in the middle of a pivotal stretch of the AFL season for Sydney. The club has posted 17 wins so far in the 2026 season and enters the final round of the home-and-away campaign sitting in second place on the ladder, with finals football set to begin within weeks. The Swans are next scheduled to play at home at the Sydney Cricket Ground against North Melbourne.

The club’s win over Essendon on Sunday had been viewed as a significant result in Sydney’s push toward a strong finals position, making the emergence of the investigation just hours later a jarring turn for a team otherwise in the midst of a successful late-season run.

Advertisement

News of the investigation broke as one of several major stories developing across the Australian news cycle Monday, drawing significant public attention and prompting widespread commentary on social media even as the club and police both stressed that specific details of the alleged incident had not yet been established.

This is not the first time the AFL has faced scrutiny over allegations involving player conduct while traveling for matches. The league has previously dealt with a number of investigations into off-field incidents involving players from various clubs, and the code has faced ongoing questions in recent years about the culture surrounding player behavior during interstate trips and post-match celebrations. Monday’s developments are likely to renew those broader conversations even as the specific facts of this case remain under investigation.

The Pullman hotel on Wellington Parade, where Sunday night’s alleged incident occurred, is a frequently used accommodation option for AFL clubs traveling to Melbourne for away matches, given its proximity to the MCG and other major sporting venues in the city.

Neither the Swans nor Victoria Police provided a timeline for when the investigation might conclude or when further information might be released. Police statements emphasized that the circumstances of the alleged incident were still being established, language commonly used in the early stages of a criminal investigation before charges, if any, are laid.

Advertisement

The AFL itself had not issued a separate public statement on the matter as of Monday afternoon, though the Swans said in their statement that the league had been formally notified. Under the AFL’s integrity and conduct policies, clubs are generally required to inform the league of any incidents involving player behavior that could affect the code’s reputation or that may become the subject of a police investigation.

For now, the situation remains fluid, with both the club and police declining to speculate on outcomes while the investigation is active. Pavlich’s comments Monday suggested the club itself was still gathering information through its own internal processes, running in parallel with the police investigation but separate from it.

The Swans are expected to continue preparations for their final home-and-away match against North Melbourne as the police investigation proceeds, though it remains unclear whether the situation will have any immediate impact on team selection or availability heading into that fixture or the finals series beyond it.

As with any active criminal investigation, further details are expected to emerge as police work continues, and both Victoria Police and the Swans indicated additional information would be released only once appropriate and once the facts of the case have been more clearly established.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Business

BioXcel Therapeutics earnings missed by $0.07, revenue fell short of estimates

Published

on


BioXcel Therapeutics earnings missed by $0.07, revenue fell short of estimates

Continue Reading

Business

Sunshine Biopharma earnings beat by $0.05, revenue topped estimates

Published

on


Sunshine Biopharma earnings beat by $0.05, revenue topped estimates

Continue Reading

Business

Forrestania awards $27m contract

Published

on

Forrestania awards $27m contract

Forrestania Resources has backed Perth-based MEGA Resources to help further develop its Tycho gold deposit near Coolgardie.

Continue Reading

Business

Malaysia’s July CPI rises 1.8% y/y, slightly less than forecast

Published

on


Malaysia’s July CPI rises 1.8% y/y, slightly less than forecast

Continue Reading

Business

Asia FX ticks up on reduced Fed hike bets; yen gains despite weak Japan GDP

Published

on


Asia FX ticks up on reduced Fed hike bets; yen gains despite weak Japan GDP

Continue Reading

Business

UK start-ups ‘losing faith’ in government procurement

Published

on

UK start-ups 'losing faith' in government procurement

UK start-ups are “losing faith” in the government as a technology champion after successive efforts to buy more from domestic businesses have had little effect, according to a new report from the Startup Coalition, which says Andy Burnham’s “Buy British” push must address fundamental problems in the procurement process.

The lobby group, which represents technology start-ups and scale-ups, said: “For British start-ups and scale-ups, this really is the last-chance saloon after successive administrations have delivered warm words but little real action. The result is an ecosystem increasingly losing faith in the UK government as a buyer and champion.”

Successive governments over the past decade have struggled to increase the share of government spending that goes to small businesses. In 2015 David Cameron set a target for one third of central government procurement to go to small and medium-sized enterprises by 2020. The latest estimates from Tussell and the British Chambers of Commerce suggest that 21 per cent went to SMEs last year, a six-year high.

In the technology sector the picture is more concentrated. Tussell found that 84 per cent of UK government tech spending last year went to only 150 businesses, of which the majority were foreign.

Concern about the UK’s reliance on foreign technology, set against an increasingly fractious geopolitical environment, has added urgency to efforts to support domestic alternatives.

Advertisement

In his first speech as prime minister, outside Downing Street on 20 July, Burnham said he would “use public procurement to back British industry”. John Healey, the chancellor, said the government would “buy British not if possible, but by design” in sectors such as technology, defence and artificial intelligence.

The government has already made changes to the “social value” rules used to assess bidders for public contracts. The Cabinet Office has doubled the credit given to companies whose bids provide “social value” through local employment, scrapped rewards for net zero and diversity, and raised the threshold at which social value criteria apply to £1 million, from £139,688 previously.

The Startup Coalition said the early changes on social value could “mark a potential turning tide”, but warned that ministers would need to reshape the procurement process itself.

“Warm words from the top will not be enough to turn a tanker that is inert, risk-averse and slow to seize new opportunities. Instead, systematic change must be made at every point in the public sector buying process to turn strong signals into real change founders can feel,” the group said.

Advertisement

The report found that start-ups faced challenges at every stage of the procurement process, including risk aversion among buyers, lengthy delays and difficulty getting in front of the right people.

“We often spend more time stuck in procurement for public-sector contracts than delivering them,” said Jack Perschke, co-founder and chief executive of Great Wave AI, a business that helps customers build artificial intelligence agents.

Start-ups also argue that they are placed at a disadvantage by framework agreements, the long-term purchasing arrangements through which 26 per cent of public procurement is agreed. The frameworks open only every few years, often carry onerous requirements to bid and can leave companies facing delays while waiting for approval.

“All too often, processes and bureaucracy act as barriers for SMEs,” said Rachael Crook, chief executive and co-founder of Lifted, a health and care platform.

Advertisement

In a statement, the government said it was “committed to making sure every pound of taxpayer money is delivering real benefits for communities, developing skills and creating new jobs in every part of the country”.

It added: “These changes will cut red tape and ensure that every business focuses on delivering British jobs. Our priority is good growth in every postcode and we’re using £90 billion of public contracts to make sure that happens.”


Amy Ingham

Amy Ingham

Amy Ingham is a reporter at Business Matters, covering UK business news with a focus on breaking news, business policy, late payments and insolvency. She joined the magazine in 2026 after completing the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism at Harlow College’s journalism school. Her recent reporting includes British Steel’s nationalisation and its impact on SME suppliers, the decline in late payments by large firms, and Insolvency Service director disqualifications. Reach her at aingham@cbmeg.co.uk.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Business

Anthropic IPO could value Claude maker at over $2 trillion

Published

on

Anthropic IPO could value Claude maker at over $2 trillion

Anthropic could be valued at more than $2 trillion when it lists on the New York Stock Exchange this autumn, a level that would make the Claude developer’s flotation the largest in history, according to the Financial Times.

The artificial intelligence company filed to list in June and the float is expected in September or October. Senior executives have not yet set a target price, the FT reported.

A valuation above $2 trillion would carry Anthropic past SpaceX, which became a public company in June at a value of $1.75 trillion. Investors believe Anthropic’s lead in model capability, together with the speed at which businesses have adopted its tools, justifies the valuation, the FT reported.

The company’s annual recurring revenue, its preferred metric, which extrapolates a full-year figure from a single month’s performance, is expected to reach $100 billion to $120 billion by the end of the year. That compares with $48 billion in May and $9 billion at the start of the year.

Co-founded in 2021 by its chief executive, Dario Amodei, Anthropic secured a valuation of $965 billion in May, making it more valuable than the ChatGPT maker OpenAI. Its models have overtaken OpenAI’s among business users this year.

Advertisement

The run-up to the float has not been smooth. Anthropic this year became the first American company to be designated a supply chain risk by the US government, a ruling that restricts federal agencies and defence contractors from using its models. The company is challenging the designation.

Competition intensifies

Competitive pressure has also increased. Moonshot, a Chinese AI start-up, released its Kimi K3 model last month, which performed on a par with Anthropic’s models on many tasks at a fraction of the cost.

OpenAI has cut the price of its models, leading Anthropic to drop planned price increases for its own.

Azeem Azhar, founder of the research group Exponential View, said some of Anthropic’s recent actions had felt “reactive rather than strategic”.

Advertisement

“Its decision not to raise prices on models like Sonnet felt reactive given the market pressures. It’s facing all this competition from cheaper open-source models, as well as OpenAI’s own price cuts,” he said.

‘Cracks in the AI thesis’

Data from Ramp, a payments company that tracks corporate spending on AI, suggests Anthropic’s market share among US businesses has continued to grow, but that corporate adoption of Fable 5, its most expensive model, has been slow.

According to Ramp, Fable 5 made up only 6 per cent of the tokens businesses purchased from Anthropic over the past month. Despite being Anthropic’s most expensive model by far, it accounted for only 11.4 per cent of spending on the company’s models.

Ara Kharazian, lead economist at Ramp, said the data pointed to “cracks in the AI thesis”.

Advertisement

“With Fable 5, we’ve found a new upper bound for how much businesses are willing to spend on AI,” he said. “More performance is not worth the price tag.”

Azhar said Ramp’s data suggested that many businesses were struggling to identify clear use cases for the most powerful models.

“This technology has evolved faster than the capacity of customers to make sense of it,” he said. “Fable is expensive, but it’s also very powerful, which makes it hard to use. Ordinary companies cannot guarantee that if they’re spending $10 on a million tokens, then they’re getting $11 back. The business case is harder to make.”

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Business

Magnite director Knopper sells $848,296 in common stock

Published

on


Magnite director Knopper sells $848,296 in common stock

Continue Reading

Business

Japan Q2 growth misses forecasts on weaker spending, investment

Published

on


Japan Q2 growth misses forecasts on weaker spending, investment

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025