NewsBeat

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested at Sandringham Estate

Published

on

The former prince, who had his titles stripped last year, has been living at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk after moving out of his Royal Lodge in Windsor.

Andrew was stripped of his remaining royal titles, including “His Royal Highness” (HRH) and “Prince,” in October.

It followed a previous announcement that he would stop using his titles, including the Duke of York, amid pressure regarding his connections to Jeffrey Epstein.

Advertisement

According to the BBC, Andrew has today been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Police have arrived Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate.

Pictures circulating online appear to show unmarked police cars attending Wood Farm in Norfolk on Thursday, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside the property.

Thames Valley Police previously said the force is reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

Advertisement

Andrew, who marks his 66th birthday today ( February 19), has denied any wrongdoing

The arrest comes after Thames Valley Police said previously that they were assessing a complaint over the alleged sharing of confidential material by the former prince with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

A statement from Thames Valley police, which said: “As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.

“The man remains in police custody at this time.

Advertisement

“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Advertisement

Who is Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor?

Andrew Albert Christian Edward Mountbatten-Windsor, born 19 February 1960, formerly Duke of York, is the third child and second son of Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, and the younger brother of Charles III.

At the time of his birth, he was second in line to the British throne.

Andrew served in the Royal Navy from 1979 until 2001. During the Falklands War, he flew helicopters on active service. He later qualified as a helicopter instructor and went on to command a warship.

In 1986, he married Sarah Ferguson and was created Duke of York on his wedding day. The couple had two daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, before separating in 1992 and divorcing in 1996.

Advertisement

From 2001 to 2011, Andrew served as the UK’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment.

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version