NewsBeat

Every first party PS5 exclusive confirmed and rumoured at PlayStation Studios

Published

on

There seems to be a shift within PlayStation (Sony)

GameCentral recaps the current state of PlayStation, following its last showcase, with every newly announced and rumoured PS5 game in the works.

Sony is in a weird place at the moment. Its big live service game ambitions have clearly fallen apart, with multiple cancelled projects resulting in too few exclusives for the PlayStation 5 over the last six years. And yet the console has been selling very well, thanks in part to Xbox no longer offering any real competition.

We also appear to be witnessing something of a resurgence for the PlayStation brand, since there are two traditional single-player exclusives launching this year and the latest State of Play announced a handful more exclsuvies. One of them even released right after the showcase.

That said, most of the showcase was dominated by third party releases, with even exclusives like Kena: Scars Of Kosmora and Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls coming from other studios. A lot of Sony’s own developers, meanwhile, had nothing to show for themselves.

Advertisement

If you’ve fallen behind on Sony’s future PlayStation 5 plans, we’ve run through all of the internal PlayStation studios to recap what exactly they’re making, what they’re rumoured to be making, and/or if there’s any info about their next games at all.

Bend Studio

Expert, exclusive gaming analysis

Sign up to the GameCentral newsletter for a unique take on the week in gaming, alongside the latest reviews and more. Delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning.

Advertisement

Days Gone developer Bend Studio was previously working on one of Sony’s live service game projects, but it was cancelled before anything was shown. As such, the studio has gone the entire PlayStation 5’s lifecycle so far without releasing anything new (not counting the Days Gone remaster).

The studio was also beset by layoffs last June, with an X post only saying it was moving on to its ‘next project.’ What that project is remains a mystery and is likely very, very early in development.

A now deleted job listing for a new creative director (via MP1st) mentioned that candidates would ideally have ‘experience with multiplayer game development and design,’ so Sony may have moved it onto a different live service project. At the very least, don’t expect a traditional Days Gone sequel.

Bluepoint Games

Just like Bend, Bluepoint Games was working on a live service game (specifically a God Of War one), but it was canned last year. Unlike Bend, though, it at least got a Demon’s Souls remake out as a PlayStation 5 launch title, but that’s been it so far.

Advertisement

Bluepoint previously said its next game would be entirely original and not another remake or remaster (which is what it’s best known for), but that was in 2021 and those plans may very well have changed.

A job listing from last October did give away that Bluepoint is working on some kind of third person action game and given Sony seems to be walking back its live service ambitions, it’ll hopefully be a traditional single-player experience.

Bungie

Bungie isn’t officially part of PlayStation Studios, with Sony assuring its staff that it would retain independence following the acquisition, but it may as well be considering all the layoffs and Sony’s tightening grip.

Just last November, Sony admitted it spent far too much on buying Bungie and has yet to reap any real benefits from it. This is one of the big reasons why the studio is hyping up its Marathon live service extraction shooter, which launches as a multiplatform title on March 5. Bungie needs something to justify its continued existence under Sony.

Advertisement

It is rumoured some early work is being done on Destiny 3, but if Marathon underperforms, we fear that could be the final nail in Bungie’s coffin. The game isn’t free-to-play, but Bungie is running a free preview session from February 26 and all through that following weekend, which aims to generate early interest in the game.

Dark Outlaw Games

Hopefully, this one isn’t shut down before it gets to release anything (Sony)

In 2021, Call Of Duty veterans Dave Anthony and Jason Blundell founded Deviation Games and, though not part of PlayStation Studios, partnered with Sony on a new PlayStation exclusive triple-A game.

The studio shuttered in 2024 without even properly announcing its project, but Blundell has since officially joined Sony to lead the newly formed Dark Outlaw Games.

It too is working on a wholly original triple-A game, but hopefully history doesn’t keep repeating itself and Dark Outlaw actually manages to release a game.

Firesprite

Firesprite was seemingly bought by Sony for its VR experience, but given how rapidly Sony’s interest in VR gaming has dwindled since then, you have to assume the studio doesn’t have a new VR project in the works after Horizon Call Of The Mountain.

Advertisement

The rumoured Twisted Metal reboot has long been cancelled (even with the TV show proving successful), but it sounds like Firesprite is still working on the new story driven horror game mentioned in job listings from 2022.

You have to assume this is the same project as the ‘dark, story-driven next generation narrative adventure’ mentioned in a now deleted job listing last year (via PlayStation Universe). ‘Next generation,’ though, implies this is aiming for a PlayStation 6 release and that console faces a potential delay to 2029.

Guerrilla Games

Guerrilla Games is one of the few PlayStation studios to have tangible plans, although it’s currently prioritising yet another live service multiplayer game, in Horizon Hunters Gathering.

Whether this one will have any staying power remains to be seen, but the studio has assured fans that it’ll still work on single-player games too. In fact, a third Horizon game was basically confirmed in 2023 and is likely already in active development.

Advertisement

Unfortunately, most of the team is reportedly working on Hunters Gathering, so progress must be going slow. So, even with a potential console delay, Horizon 3 will probably be pushed back to become a PlayStation 6 title.

Haven Studios

Even with Sony running back a lot of its live service plans, Haven Studios is still trucking along with its multiplayer shooter Fairgame$. It’s easy to be sceptical about it, though, when it’s seen no real updates since its 2023 teaser reveal, which didn’t even feature any gameplay.

Early impressions were reportedly positive, but the same was said for Highguard and look how that ultimately turned out. Also, six months ago, Haven lost game director Daniel Drapeau to Warner Bros. Montréal, which hardly bodes well for Fairgame$.

Last we heard, the game was pushed into 2026 but if it was due this year, you’d think Sony would have mentioned it during the last State of Play. Instead, Sony’s main live service project for the year is the aforementioned Marathon reboot, so perhaps Fairgame$ has been hit with another delay or even cancellation.

Advertisement

Housemarque

It’s been nearly five years since Returnal and in that time, Housemarque has been working on a spiritual successor in Saros, easily our most anticipated PlayStation 5 game of the year.

Thankfully, Housemarque hasn’t been waylaid by Sony’s live service plans and was able to focus all its energy on Saros, which remains a single-player roguelike blending third person shooting and bullet hell action.

It launches on April 30 and although there’s no sign of a PC release, we imagine one will follow eventually.

Insomniac Games

While Insomniac’s Wolverine game was announced all the way back in 2021, the studio has managed to maintain a consistent release schedule, since Wolverine will arrive only three years after Spider-Man 2. That makes it Insomniac’s fourth PlayStation 5 title after Spider-Man: Miles Morales (and the remaster of the original) and 2021’s Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Advertisement

You can expect more updates on Wolverine this year, although the real question is whether it will still meet its autumn release window when GTA 6 is coming out around the same time. Don’t be surprised if Sony winds up pushing it back.

A lot of Insomniac’s post-Wolverine plans leaked thanks to the 2023 hacking incident, which mentioned multiple Marvel games and another Ratchet & Clank. Plans have no doubt changed as a result, although the studio remains committed to further Marvel collaborations.

Spider-Man 3 is obviously one of them, but whether those leaked Venom and X-Men games are still planned is anyone’s guess.

Media Molecule

Game creation tool Dreams remains active, but active support ended in 2023, with Media Molecule saying it had moved onto a new project, without ever porting Dreams to the PlayStation 5.

Advertisement

This means the studio hasn’t released anything for current hardware and unfortunately, there remains no updates or even rumours on what its next project could be.

It’s unlikely the studio will return to LittleBigPlanet, considering the series hasn’t had a proper sequel since 2014’s LittleBigPlanet 3 and has only continued through spin-offs like Sackboy: A Big Adventure. None of which Media Molecule was involved with.

The safest assumption, based on its previous work, is that anything Media Molecule releases next will involve player-generated content of some kind, but who knows what Sony’s intentions with the studio are nowadays.

Naughty Dog

After what felt like endless Last Of Us re-releases, Naughty Dog has an entirely new game in the works, with Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet. Only vaguely described as an action adventure game, rumours point to it having an Elden Ring inspired open world.

Advertisement

There seemed to be signs this would be one of Sony’s big 2026 releases, but reliable insiders have said this won’t be the case. Between Saros and Wolverine, Sony can arguably afford to hold Intergalactic back for a 2027 release.

Development doesn’t sound like it’s been running smoothly, though, since Bloomberg reported that the project has missed multiple deadlines, prompting a crunch period just to get an internal demo ready.

Naughty Dog is supposed to have at least one other game in the pipeline, with a rumour alleging it’s from the director of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, but the studio is unlikely to share any details on that until after Intergalactic comes out.

Polyphony Digital

Polyphony is no doubt working on a Gran Turismo 8, with studio CEO and series producer Kazunori Yamauchi teasing it in 2023, but there remains no sign of it.

Advertisement

Sony may not feel any pressure to push a sequel out until Gran Turismo 7’s microtransactions stop being profitable, but the company has given no indication of how much money it’s still making from those.

If anything, Gran Turismo 7, which launched in 2022, is perhaps one of Sony’s few live service successes, since it’s clearly still popular enough to be getting new cars and events as recently as last month.

San Diego Studio

There’s not much to say about San Diego Studio, since all it really does nowadays is make annual MLB The Show games for baseball fans.

It wasn’t mentioned in the last State of Play, but this year’s entry – MLB The Show 26 – is launching on March 17 and is available for pre-order. It’s also a rare example of a PlayStation franchise going multiplatform, with it following last year’s example and launching for Xbox and Nintendo Switch… but not Switch 2.

Advertisement

Santa Monica Studio

After years of silence, Santa Monica Studio dropped quite the bomb during the last State of Play. Not only did it shadow drop a God Of War prequel, in the form of Sons Of Sparta, but it’s remaking all three of the original Greek era games – or at least someone is, it’s not really clear.

While Sons Of Sparta was developed by Mega Cat Studios (Santa Monica just wrote the script), it’s not clear how involved they are with the remake trilogy. Whether they’re doing it all themselves, or co-operating with another studio, it seems to suggest that an entirely new God Of War sequel won’t now see the light of day until the 2030s.

However, rumours point to another Santa Monica game that’s being helmed by God Of War director Cory Barlog; one that could be announced later this year and launch in 2027. Apparently, it’s not a new IP but it ‘might feel like one,’ which doesn’t really narrow down what it could be… unless it’s resurrecting 2001 racing game Kinetica, the first thing Santa Monica ever released.

Sucker Punch Productions

Sucker Punch only launched Ghost Of Yōtei last year and development hasn’t actually ended yet, since it’s currently planning to add co-op multiplayer to the game on March 10.

Advertisement

Since the studio focuses on only one game at a time, its next project likely won’t launch for another five years and the PlayStation 6 should be out by then. Sucker Punch also doesn’t seem to have committed itself to a third samurai game yet, but Sony higher-ups may push for it since both Ghost Of Yōtei and Ghost Of Tsushima were financial hits.

If not, it’s more likely Sucker Punch will pursue an original IP rather than revisit either of its Sly Cooper or inFamous franchises, having shown no interest in reviving them since the PlayStation 3 era.

Team Asobi

Considering Team Asobi is the only real remnant of Japan Studio left, it’d be nice to see it crank out a wholly original and inventive game akin to Japan Studio’s past work.

The success of Astro Bot, though, means it’s more likely Sony is pushing for more games starring the robotic mascot, although that’s not necessarily a bad thing as Sony is incentivised to pursue the family market again.

Advertisement

Astro Bot as a character lends himself well to myriad genres geared towards families, but hopefully Sony doesn’t overuse him and make a bunch of homogenous Astro Bot spin-offs. But at the moment, Team Asobi has given no real hints on what it’s working on.

teamLFG

Between this, Bungie, and Haven, Sony has three dedicated live service game teams (Sony)

teamLFG was only formed last year, having been spun out of Bungie and consisting of developers who’ve worked on successful ongoing games like League Of Legends and Fortnite.

It’s apparent that Sony wants this studio to pump out a new live service hit, with its first project believed to have started under Bungie before being moved over to them. It’s explicitly described as a multiplayer game inspired by ‘fighting games, platformers, MOBAs, life sims, and frog type games.’ And no, we still don’t know what frog type games are.

Perhaps Sony has recognised that it’s better to have dedicated studios for live service games, rather than forcing ones that mostly did single-player games to pivot, but it’s still far too early to tell if teamLFG will find any success with its work. Especially since there’s been no word from the studio since its formation.

Email gamecentral@metro.co.uk, leave a comment below, follow us on Twitter.

Advertisement

To submit Inbox letters and Reader’s Features more easily, without the need to send an email, just use our Submit Stuff page here.

For more stories like this, check our Gaming page.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version