NewsBeat

Ex-Prince Andrew released under investigation after misconduct in public office arrest

Published

on

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein, becoming the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his ties to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

The former prince, who became the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested, stands accused of disclosing sensitive information to Epstein whilst holding the position of the UK’s trade envoy. Andrew was photographed slumped in the rear of a vehicle on Thursday evening as he departed Aylsham police station in Norfolk.

Advertisement

His brother, the King, said earlier that “the law must take its course” after expressing his “deepest concern” over the arrest, which came after millions of files were released by the US Department of Justice in relation to the Epstein scandal.

Thames Valley Police said he was released under investigation and searches at a property in Norfolk, Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate, had concluded.

Searches at his former address, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, are ongoing.

Andrew was detained on his 66th birthday following allegations that he shared reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with disgraced financier Epstein.

Advertisement

He has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

After serving for 22 years in the Royal Navy, he became the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment in 2001.

He stepped down in 2011 amid the furore over his friendship with paedophile Epstein.

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version