NewsBeat
King Charles statement amid arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor
Police were seen arriving at Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate today (February 19), where he has been living after moving out of his Royal Lodge in Windsor.
Thames Valley police confirmed in a statement that “a man in his sixties from Norfolk” was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Now, Buckingham Palace has released a statement on behalf of King Charles.
King Charles statement in full as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested
The King’s statement is as follows: “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.
“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.
“Charles R.”
Andrew arrested over ‘misconduct in public office’
Andrew is in custody after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Searches are being carried out at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, Thames Valley Police said.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Pictures appear to show unmarked police cars at Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside Andrew’s home.
Thames Valley Police previously said the force is reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Andrew, who marks his 66th birthday today (February 19), has denied any wrongdoing.