NewsBeat

Music venue cancels gig after protest planned

Published

on

The independent venue said it had decided to call off the show after reviewing information and considering the potential impact on the venue and wider community

A Welsh music venue has cancelled a planned booking after a number of complaints. Jacs in Aberdare has cancelled a gig which was due to be played at the venue on February 26 by Michale Graves who previously fronted American punk band Misfits.

The independent venue said it had decided to call off the show after reviewing information and considering the potential impact on the venue and wider community.

Mr Graves has previously drawn controversy for his political views. He testified on behalf of five members of the Proud Boys involved in the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol. Proud Boys has a reputation for promoting white supremacy.

Advertisement

In a statement on Sunday the venue said: “After careful consideration we have taken the decision to cancel the upcoming Michale Graves show at Jacs Aberdare. This has not been a decision made lightly.

“We have listened to the concerns raised, reviewed the information available to us, and reflected on our responsibility as a local, independent venue within our community. In light of everything considered, we believe cancelling the event is the right course of action.”

Mr Graves has previously spoken about his gigs being cancelled and venues hosting gigs for his Europe tour have been criticised. A councillor in Worcester said he would boycott a local venue if it went ahead with hosting Mr Graves’ gig on Thursday.

On Sunday Jacs said it isn’t a political organisation and doesn’t align itself with any political movement or ideology, stating its focus “has always been, and remains, live music”.

Advertisement

Jacs said the venue had been hired by an independent promoter who organised and marketed the event. Tickets were sold directly by the promoter, not by the venue, Jacs said. More than 150 tickets had been purchased for the gig.

The statement said concerns about the show were raised earlier this week by BBC Wales and a former MP. It added that a significant number of messages had been received from members of the public, many expressed “politely and thoughtfully”, but that the situation escalated online.

According to the venue, it and its owner were subject to strong criticism and serious accusations, and a protest was being organised outside the venue on the night of the show.

“As a small, independent venue operating within a close-knit community, we have a responsibility to ensure that events can take place in a safe, positive and welcoming environment for everyone,” the statement reads.

Advertisement

“After weighing everything carefully — including the strength of feeling expressed and the potential for disruption — we concluded that proceeding with the show would not serve the best interests of the venue, our customers or the wider community. Cancelling the event is, in our view, the most responsible step in the circumstances.”

Four years ago Mr Graves said multiple venues had cancelled his gigs during a tour of the US. He claimed this was because he is “an outspoken conservative”.

In a statement on Saturday Mr Graves said he had become aware of “an aggressive online campaign”. He said he respects differing opinions and the choice not to attend his performances but said he believed venues and staff were being put under pressure.

“Over the past days I’ve become aware of an aggressive online campaign of organisations and individuals focused on my upcoming shows in Europe,” he said. “I respect that people may hold different opinions or choose not to attend these shows.

Advertisement

“I am very concerned that venues, staff members, and people simply doing their jobs are now being placed under significant pressure and distress and in some instances being threatened to simply show up at their job. I want to be very clear: my shows are about music, community, and shared passion.

“I do not promote violence, hatred, or harm, and those who have attended my performances know that my focus has always been bringing people together through music. All are welcome. The live music scene should remain a safe and inclusive space for everyone — artists, fans, venue staff, and local communities alike.

“No one should feel unsafe or intimidated for participating in or supporting live music events. If my music is not for you, I fully respect your choice not to attend.

“However, I respectfully ask that disagreements remain peaceful and that the hardworking people behind these venues are treated with respect. I look forward to performing for those who wish to be there and sharing music in a positive, safe and respectful environment.”

Advertisement

Ensure our latest news and sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version