Mr Kennedy KC is now asking about the hospital attendance on May 25, 2023, when Preston was ‘floppy’ with ‘possible seizure activity’.
Medical notes said Preston had shortness of breath, increased work of breathing, was floppy, unresponsive and had a nosebleed, the jury is told. Shaking limbs and stiffness were also noted.
Preston was treated with seizure medication, the jury is told.
Advertisement
Two days afterwards, Mr Varley messaged a group chat with Preston’s former foster parents, saying the baby had been really poorly with a nosebleed and had a seizure in hospital, the court hears. He reported a chest X-ray came back with a bad infection, and blood tests showed low sodium.
Mr Kennedy asks Dr Gifford to confirm that low sodium is found in febrile seizures. Dr Gifford confirms when small children have a temperature spike it can cause this type of seizure.
This is not epilepsy – it only occurs when children have a fever, she says. A third of children will only have one febrile seizure, but others will go on to have further episodes, Dr Gifford adds.
The seizure is not a response to the fever, but parents are encouraged to undress the child to their nappy and give paracetamol to bring the child’s temperature down, she adds.
A woman has been left with potentially life-changing or life-threatening injuries following a three-car crash near the Cambridgeshire border. The crash happened at around 10.53am on Sunday, May 17, on the A47 near Terrington St John in Norfolk.
The crash involved a grey Audi, which was travelling in the direction of Wisbech, a grey VW Tayron, and a red Vauxhall Corsa, that were travelling in the same direction. The driver of the Tayron, a woman in her 50s was taken to hospital by air ambulance with potentially life-changing or life-threatening injuries. The drivers of the other two vehicles had minor injuries.
A road closure was put in place on the slip road at Terrington St John while emergency services attended to the scene. A man in his 40s, who was driving the grey Audi, was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He was taken to King’s Lynn Police Investigation Centre. He was bailed to return to the police on Monday, May 25.
Advertisement
Norfolk Police would like to speak to anyone who witnessed the collision or has information about the manner of driving before the incident as well as anyone with dashcam footage. You can contact the police via the force website quoting the reference NC-17052026-141.
You can also call 101. If you want to report anything anonymously, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800555111.
To get more news and top stories delivered directly to your phone, join our new WhatsApp community.Click this linkto receive your daily dose of CambridgeshireLive content.
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read ourPrivacy Notice.
Britain is expected to edge closer to inking in a long-anticipated free trade agreement with the oil-rich Gulf nations. The six Gulf Cooperation Council states – Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and Kuwait – are on the verge of signing the deal after two years of talks with the British government. Jasem al-Budaiwi, secretary-general of the GCC, in London this week, is likely to finalise the remaining detail before returning to brief the members ahead of a formal signing. It will be seized upon by both sides as a welcome boost. Here, Sir Keir Starmer’s regime is under pressure, while the GCC members are having to contend with the US-Israeli war against Iran, drone and missile strikes and disruption to oil and gas shipments, and harm to their previously booming economies. UK principal beneficiaries are likely to be luxury cars, financial services, industrial goods, food and drink.
The victim was found on the ground with a wound to his neck
A man stabbed another motorist over a parking dispute on New Year’s Eve. Jameel Ali, 24, was approached by a man at about 4pm on December 31, 2023, in Windmill Street in Peterborough.
Advertisement
When the man, who is in his 30s, asked Ali to move his car forward so another vehicle could park on the street, the pair argued. Ali then headbutted the man and stabbed his neck with what the victim described as a knife. The 24-year-old ran off and police were called.
According to Cambridgeshire Police, officers found the victim on the ground with a wound to his neck, described as consistent with a stab wound. He was taken to Peterborough City Hospital for treatment, before being transferred to Addenbrookes’ Hospital, in Cambridge, for specialist assessment.
Ali’s vehicle was identified and he was arrested two days later. He denied assault causing grievous bodily harm with intent but was found guilty following a trial at Cambridge Crown Court in January. Ali, of St Pauls Road in Peterborough, was sentenced to six years in prison on Friday, May 15 at the same court.
DC Lloyd Davis said: “This incident could have been much, much, worse. It is only luck that the victim was not more seriously injured. I’m pleased Ali was identified, apprehended and has now received a significant custodial sentence for his actions. I also hope the conclusion of the court proceedings will enable the victim to put this experience behind him.”
New figures from HM Revenue and Customs reveal that more than 30% of parents fail to claim Child Benefit during their baby’s first year.
That means huge numbers of families could be losing out on vital support at a time when household bills, childcare costs and everyday expenses are soaring.
HMRC is now urging parents who welcomed a baby this spring to act quickly and submit a claim online or through the HMRC app.
Advertisement
The warning comes as more than 6.8 million families across the UK already receive the payments – worth up to £1,406.60 a year for a first child.
Parents can also receive £930.80 a year for each additional child, with no limit on how many children can be included in a claim.
But there is a catch many families do not know about.
Child Benefit can only be backdated for three months, meaning parents who delay too long could permanently lose money they were entitled to.
Advertisement
Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Chief Customer Officer, said: “Spring is a wonderful time to welcome a baby and claiming Child Benefit as soon as possible means your family can benefit from much-needed financial support.
“It is quick and easy to claim Child Benefit via the HMRC app at a time that suits you.”
📢 Parents – don’t miss out this summer! 🌞
If your child is over 16 and staying in education or approved training, your Child Benefit can continue – but you need to act. 🚨
Parents can apply just 48 hours after registering their baby’s birth.
To make a claim, families need their child’s birth or adoption certificate, bank details and National Insurance numbers.
Advertisement
Experts say many parents wrongly assume Child Benefit is only for low-income households – but millions still qualify even if one parent earns over £60,000.
Although higher earners may have to repay some of the money through the High Income Child Benefit Charge, claiming is still considered important because it protects National Insurance credits linked to the State Pension.
Failing to claim could also affect future entitlements.
Parents who claim Child Benefit automatically ensure their child receives a National Insurance number at age 16, while the award notice can also help families access other benefits and support.
Advertisement
Recommended reading:
HMRC says most payments are made automatically every four weeks directly into a bank account once a claim has been approved.
The team has also released guidance videos online explaining how parents can apply digitally in minutes.
For many families struggling with rising living costs, experts say checking eligibility now could make a significant difference before valuable payments are lost for good.
More than 80 residents, supporters and staff celebrated the official opening this week of Compigne Court, Thorngate Churcher Trust’s state-of-the-art independent living development of 30 retirement apartments in Grove Road, Gosport which is now home to 36 local people.
Born in Leicestershire and educated at Stamford School, Smith represented his home county and Oxford University before joining Warwickshire.
He captained the Bears from 1957 to 1967 and scored 39,832 first-class runs in 637 matches during his county career, the 18th-highest total of all time.
Smith still holds the Warwickshire record for most runs in a single season after scoring 2,417 runs in 1959 and was named a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1960.
He remained involved with cricket after his retirement as a player, as chairman of Warwickshire and also as an ICC match referee, officiating in four Tests and 17 ODIs.
Advertisement
A dual international, Smith played rugby union for Oxford University and Leicester and won a cap for England against Wales in January 1956.
The industrial action, called by the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, is related to a dispute over plans to introduce a voluntary four-day working week, which would condense Tube drivers’ weekly hours.
The RMT union has called the plan “fake” and said it raised “serious concerns from our members about shift length and resulting fatigue impacting safety”.
RMT General Secretary Eddie Dempsey said union members had “approached negotiations with Transport for London (TfL) in good faith” but “TfL seem unwilling to make any concessions”.
Advertisement
Claire Mann, TfL’s chief operating officer, defended the proposal, saying it would allow drivers an extra day off and bring the Underground “in line with the working patterns of other train operating companies”.
“The changes would be voluntary,” she said. “There would be no reduction in contractual hours and those who wish to continue a five-day working week pattern would be able to do so.”
They are believed to have died while exploring a cave around 160ft underwater in Vaavu Atoll, according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry
Eliana Nunes News Reporter and Kirstie McCrum
14:01, 18 May 2026Updated 14:02, 18 May 2026
The remains of four Italian divers who vanished during a scuba-diving incident in the Maldives have been discovered.
Giorgia Sommacal, Monica Montefalcone, Gianluca Benedetti, Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri are thought to have perished while investigating a cave approximately 160ft beneath the surface in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, as stated by Italy’s Foreign Ministry. The permitted recreational diving depth in the Maldives stands at 98ft.
Advertisement
Recovery operations recommenced on Monday having been halted following the tragic death of a local military diver, Mohamed Mahudhee, during a perilous mission attempting to locate them.
The tragedy is understood to be the most devastating single diving catastrophe in the Indian Ocean nation’s history. Four of the Italian divers belonged to a University of Genoa expedition, comprising ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter and two research colleagues.
Mr Benedetti’s body, a boat operations manager and diving instructor, was discovered earlier beyond the cave entrance, reports the Mirror.
Advertisement
Three Finnish divers touched down in the Maldives on Sunday to devise a fresh approach for retrieving the bodies of the remaining four divers, who were thought to be trapped within the cave network. Italy’s Foreign Ministry confirmed on Monday that all four bodies had subsequently been located.
Maldives presidential spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef stated the search had been paused after Mr Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defence Force, succumbed to decompression sickness following his transfer to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.
Mr Shareef revealed that the Finnish divers, experts in deep-water and cave exploration, had teamed up with the Maldives coastguard to devise a fresh search strategy. Challenging weather conditions had consistently disrupted rescue attempts.
Advertisement
Previous search parties had successfully located and flagged the cave system entrance where the Italians vanished. The circumstances surrounding their deaths are still being examined.
Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani expressed his sympathies: “These days of grief for Italy are compounded by the news that one of your brave soldiers… died while attempting to dive to reach the bodies of our fellow Italians.
“This tragedy unites Italy and the Maldives in grief and respect for the victims,” he added.
Advertisement
Ensure our latest stories always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as your Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
Bhekisani Matabiswana launched the attack on Luke Harden at a working men’s club in Lancaster
Husna Anjum, Amy Fenton and Husna Anjum Senior Reporter
14:12, 18 May 2026
A man has been sentenced to life after he was found guilty of savagely beating a male model to death. The incident happened in Stacksteads, Lancashire, where Bhekisani Matabiswana, 27, attacked Luke Harden, 37, at a working men’s club last year.
On October 31, Luke, represented by Nemesis Model Agency in Manchester, and others were booked to DJ at a Halloween fancy dress party. Matabiswana, who attended the same event with his friends, launched a ‘frenzied and cowardly attack’ on Luke as he lay defenceless on the ground shortly after both men had left the venue.
Advertisement
His killer then attempted to portray himself as a Good Samaritan who had simply tried to help after ‘coming across an injured stranger on the ground’, Manchester Evening News reports. Luke died as a result of blunt force trauma to head and neck following an assault.
Matabiswana, of St James Street, Bacup, was found guilty of murder after the judge accepted a majority verdict. He was sentenced at the same court today to a life sentence with a minimum of 16 years and six months in jail.
Luke’s girlfriend said: “You have ruined not only Luke’s life but mine too. He was the light in this world taken far too soon and I will forever miss him.
“He will always be my boy and I’ll love him forever.”
As Matabiswana was jailed for life for murder, he was told the minimum term he must serve before he can apply for release is 16 years and six months. Due to time spent on remand in custody, this will be reduced to 15 years and 353 days.
Judge Robert Altham told Matabiswana that Luke’s life was ‘full of promise and hope and you brought that life to an end’ during sentencing
He adds: “His sister was told what had occurred by the very person who killed him.”
Advertisement
During the trial, the jury had been shown footage at the working men’s club which showed Matabiswana shaking hands with Luke. Matabiswana had taken ketamine and cannabinoids.
The judge says: “I cannot be sure, having seen Luke’s conduct and him tripping over that sign, that he didn’t try to engage in some unwanted conversation with you or Miss Chadwick. I can’t rule out the possibility of him reaching for one or either of you.
“However I am sure that your account is wholly untrue. I do not accept that he repeatedly punched you.
“I am satisfied that in anger at his unwanted approach you lost your temper. You took him to the ground, he was defenceless, you stamped hard on his face, causing injuries to the back of his head as you stamped him into the pavement.
Advertisement
“You broke his nose and fractured his upper jaw in two places.”
The Judge added: “I cannot be sure that you intended to kill however you intended to cause serious bodily harm. Natalie Chadwick screamed in terror at what you had done.
“You had left Luke. A hurried plan was then formed. You returned and falsely said you had found him on the ground. That was a wicked lie.
“You weren’t concerned about Luke; only yourselves. You rifled through Luke’s pockets and found his phone and called the last dialled number. There is no good explanation for your failure to call the emergency services save that you feared detection.
Advertisement
“When paramedics arrived you lied. You were arrested at the scene and later released. You attempted to flee and made arrangements to get a flight to South Africa.
“You gave a wholly untrue account to your mother and girlfriend. You were arrested at the departure gate. I reject your account that you intended to return.”
Ensure our latest stories always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as your Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
Strikes planned for tomorrow and Thursday by London Underground drivers have been called off, the RMT union has confirmed.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union had announced its members will walk out for 24 hours from midday on Tuesday 19 May, and again on Thursday 21 May.
A union spokesperson said: “At the 11th hour the employer has shifted its position allowing us to further explore our members concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues.
“The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login