Work is set to start this year while Magor and Undy is set to be the first completed
A long-awaited transformation of Wales’ rail network is set to begin as ministers prepare to green-light a multi-million-pound programme of new stations across the country.
Construction on new railway stations across Newport is scheduled to commence this year with Magor and Undy expected to be the first to reach completion.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer is poised to officially approve a new rail strategy for Wales which will see work get under way on three new stations in Newport, alongside the long-awaited Magor with Undy “walkway” station and a Cardiff East station.
Whilst the UK Government confirmed work on those five stations will begin this year the anticipation is that construction of just two will commence by 2029.
The announcement will also secure funding for a Cardiff Parkway Station at St Mellons, with a seventh station to be constructed in north Wales serving the Deeside industrial park, with the government claiming 12,000 jobs throughout Wales will be generated.
Almost half a billion pounds was pledged for the stations in June’s spending review. The Prime Minister said: “This government is turning the page on historic dither and delay with seven new stations, thousands of jobs, and a generational commitment to build a rail network fit for Wales’ future.
“This isn’t tinkering nor sticking plasters. This is investment for the long term – and change communities will feel. This is putting Wales on the front foot and getting Britain building again.” For the biggest stories in Wales first sign up to our daily newsletter here
A Wales Office statement confirmed that construction will start on stations at Llanwern, Newport West and Somerton alongside Magor and Undy and Cardiff East later this year. Magor and Undy is anticipated to be the first of these stations to reach completion.
The announcement will be viewed as welcome news for First Minister Eluned Morgan who has urged Mr Starmer to commit funding to rail infrastructure as polling indicates Labour may face difficulties in May’s Senedd election, potentially ending the party’s 26-year control of the Welsh Government.
Ms Morgan said: “We are now in an unprecedented position to deliver the next chapter of transformation for rail services in Wales. We have secured long-term commitments to key projects and a renewed ambition for our rail network.”
She added: “Today marks another important milestone for rail as Transport for Wales publishes an exciting and essential pipeline for future investment. This includes projects the length and breadth of our nation.
“We warmly welcome the UK Government’s support for these plans and for their commitment to putting right the injustice of Welsh rail underfunding left by the previous government.”
The new stations flanking Newport had been proposed by the Burns Commission in 2019 to tackle M4 congestion following the abandonment of earlier relief road proposals, and are designed to facilitate easier commuting into Newport and Cardiff.
The proposal Mr Starmer is expected to formally back on Wednesday is the strategy developed by Transport for Wales, which oversees local rail services and public transport strategy.
The UK Government is also pledging funding to enhance the line speed of the relief lines running parallel to the main lines between Cardiff and Severn Tunnel Junction, which will establish two additional high-speed lines and offer greater flexibility for freight and passenger operations.
A comprehensive business case is expected to be submitted this spring, with work coordinated alongside the proposed new stations and services.
Campaigners, who initially put forward proposals for a walkway station designed to serve commuters within walking distance in 2013, had urged for Magor and Undy to be prioritised when funding was announced, as a station could be delivered without requiring an upgrade to the line.
The demand to prioritise Magor and Undy has received cross-party support from Monmouthshire County Council. Cardiff Parkway is projected to serve approximately 800,000 passengers annually which is expected to generate around 6,000 jobs.
Welsh Secretary Jo Stevens added: “This investment in seven new stations and other upgrades will boost capacity across our network and transform the experience of thousands of passengers.
“It is part of the generational investment we are making to improve Welsh rail which will better connect people with the well-paid jobs we are creating across the country and drive economic growth.”
Ensure our latest news and sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings