A massive rescue operation had been launched on Yr Wyddfa in Eryri National Park
The bodies of two men have been found on Snowdon after a major search operation was launched. An alert was first raised on Wednesday (February 18) after concern grew for the welfare of two men, aged 19 and 20.
Crews from Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, Aberglaslyn Mountain Rescue Team, RAF Mountain Rescue Service, SARDA and HM Coastguard were deployed and carried out extensive searches on Yr Wyddfa – also known as Snowdon – until the early hours of Thursday morning. Searches resumed at approximately 8am on Thursday, 19 February on the mountain in Eryri National Park.
Bodies of the two men were tragically located and recovered as part of these co-ordinated search efforts. Both have now been formally identified, and their families have been informed, North Wales Live reports.
Click here to prioritise Manchester news in Google from the MEN
A police spokesperson said: “We can confirm that two bodies have been located in the Eryri mountain range during searches for two missing men, aged 19 and 20. The coroner has been notified, and we ask that the privacy of the families is respected at this difficult time.”
Jurgen Dissmann, Chair of Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, said: “On behalf of Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team, I would like to extend our most heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of the two men who have tragically lost their lives. The team were tasked by North Wales Police and launched an extensive multi-agency operation in full winter conditions.
“Volunteers searched across challenging mountain terrain in snow and ice, working long hours through the night in difficult weather in an effort to locate the pair as quickly as possible. Despite the determined and sustained commitment of everyone involved, we are deeply saddened that, despite all efforts, the outcome was not what we had hoped for.
“I would like to sincerely thank our colleagues from Aberglaslyn Mountain Rescue Team, RAF Mountain Rescue Team, SARDA and HM Coastguard for their invaluable assistance throughout the operation.”
Police added: “Further updates will be provided when appropriate.”