Connect with us

Sports

Bears on verge of committing to NW Indiana stadium

Published

on

NFL: Houston Texans at Chicago BearsA general view of Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears since 1971. Mandatory Credit: Jamie Sabau-Imagn Images

The Chicago Bears are willing to commit $2 billion to a stadium project near Wolf Lake in Northwest Indiana after failing to gain traction with new construction projects in Illinois.

Indiana House of Representatives speaker Todd Huston made the announcement on Thursday morning with the passage of State Bill 27, which creates a stadium authority and “sets forth the framework for a final agreement,” Indiana Gov. Mike Braun said in a statement.

The significant development is not a legally binding or full and final bill ending the Bears’ 55-year stint at Soldier Field.

But it came not long after policymakers in Illinois called off a scheduled session to discuss stadium plans to keep the team in — or at least near — Chicago. Recent negotiations to remain in Illinois were focused on taxpayer funding with the Bears willing to commit more than 50% of the projected cost for sites in Arlington Heights, Ill., or a rebuild on the Chicago lakefront.

A state committee in the Illinois House focused on “megaprojects” through the revenue and finance committee did not meet as originally scheduled early Thursday morning as the Bears confirmed a stadium development is progressing in the Hammond, Ind., area.

Advertisement

“The passage of SB 27 would mark the most meaningful step forward in our stadium planning efforts to date. We are committed to finishing the remaining site-specific necessary due diligence to support our vision to build a world-class stadium near the Wolf Lake area in Hammond, Indiana. We appreciate the leadership shown by Governor Braun, Speaker Huston, Senator (Ryan) Mishler and members of the Indiana General Assembly in establishing this critical framework and path forward to deliver a premier venue for all of Chicagoland and a destination for Bears fans and visitors from across the globe. We value our partnership and look forward to continuing to build our working relationship together.”

Hammond, Ind., is 22 miles from Soldier Field and Wolf Lake is around 20 miles. Public transportation options via the South Shore line and Amtrak, which traverses the Lake Michigan shoreline across Indiana and into Michigan. Arlington Heights, located 25 miles from downtown in the northwest Chicago suburbs, has Metra stops and is situated near O’Hare Airport with access to nearby interstates.

“Indiana is open for business, and our pro-growth environment continues to attract major opportunities like this partnership with the Chicago Bears. We’ve identified a promising site near Wolf Lake in Hammond and established a broad framework for negotiating a final deal,” Braun said. “If approved, the proposed amendment to Senate Bill 27 puts forward the essential framework to complete this agreement, contingent upon site due diligence proceeding smoothly. The State of Indiana moves at the speed of business, and we’ve demonstrated that through our quick coordination between state agencies, local government, and the legislature to set the stage for a huge win for all Hoosiers. We have built a strong relationship with the Bears organization that will serve as the foundation for a public-private partnership, leading to the construction of a world-class stadium and a win for taxpayers.”

Advertisement

Earlier this year, the Kansas City Chiefs made a similar move to end their longstanding agreement with Missouri, rolling out a plan to leave Arrowhead Stadium for a new home across the border in Kansas. The agreement brings new revenue streams to the Chiefs and met the franchise’s financial vision for a shared funding plan that Missouri refused to entertain.

The Bears have called Soldier Field home since 1971. The team played the 2002 season at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Ill., on the campus of the University of Illinois while Soldier Field underwent a massive renovation.

–Field Level Media

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Gervonta Davis ‘top of the list’ for world title fight but would face big jump up in weight

Published

on

The return of Gervonta Davis is up in the air but there may be a title fight waiting for him in the welterweight division should he return.

Davis has not won a fight since June 2024, with his solitary outing since being a controversial draw against Lamont Roach Jr last March – a fight which many fans believe should have cost Davis his undefeated record.

‘Tank’ was then scheduled to face Jake Paul, but he was mentioned in a civil lawsuit – which cites violent behaviour, battery and kidnapping – two weeks before the fight, resulting in the cancellation of the event.

Advertisement

The 31-year-old has since been arrested and stripped of his WBA lightweight world title, with a potential return to the ring seemingly on hold until his situation outside of it has been cleared up.

Yet, in an interview with All The Smoke Fight, trainer and father of Devin Haney, Bill, revealed that Davis still sits atop the hit list for the WBO welterweight ruler.

“It’s about 10 names on the list. Tank is at the top of it, maybe Shakur [Stevenson] is next. Jaron Ennis. I think Conor Benn might be on there, towards the bottom, you know what I mean?

“Ryan Garcia is number 10, Brian Norman was on there. Keyshawn Davis, your man Keyshawn Davis is on there too.”

‘Tank’ has only fought as high as super-lightweight – a win against Mario Barrios back in 2021 – and would be undersized at welterweight.

Advertisement

The new holder of the WBA lightweight world title is expected to be determined on Saturday, April 11, although Golden Boy Promotions’ ongoing lawsuit with Vergil Ortiz could lead to that event being pushed back.

As for Haney – who won the title from Brian Norman Jr in November last year to become a three-weight champion – he has also expressed interest in fights with Shakur Stevenson, Keyshawn Davis and Conor Benn.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Good News For Tony Khan And AEW

Published

on

Tony Khan and AEW have just received some good news. This is regarding one of their recent shows.

AEW hosted Grand Slam: Australia in Sydney on February 14. This was the second AEW event held in the country since last year’s Grand Slam. Tony Khan prepared a stacked lineup of matches. The show was headlined by MJF and Brody King who competed over the World Title. The show had its own challenge as it went head-to-head with the 2026 Winter Olympic Games. The viewership for the show and the ratings have now come to light.

Advertisement

According to Wrestlenomics and Programming Insider, AEW Grand Slam: Australia 2026 drew in 561K total viewers with a 0.10 rating in the key 18-49 demographic. The viewership increased 45% from previous week’s Collision which drew in only 388K viewers while the 18-49 demographic drew in 0.07 rating. Against the four-week average, the viewership was up 66% from 337K while the ratings in the 18-49 demographic doubled from 0.05. When compared to last year’s Grand Slam: Australia, the show drew in more viewers (561K vs. 502K). However, in the key 18-49 demographic, last year’s show did significantly better with a 0.21 rating.


Tony Khan commented on top AEW stars receiving interest from WWE

AEW has been on top of their game over the past year. Therefore, several of the company’s top talent has been lured away by WWE. Penta, Rey Fenix, Ricky Saints, and Powerhouse Hobbs were all signed by WWE in the past year.

Speaking with talkSPORT, Tony said he feels great about what they’re doing in AEW and his company is where the best wrestle.

“It makes me feel incredible. I feel really great about what we’re doing at AEW right now, and I think wrestlers around the world want to be here. AEW is where the best wrestle. We’re seeing women and men across pro wrestling show that this is where so many of the greatest stars have chosen to be—and to stay—for a reason.” [H/T: Ringside News]

It looks like the future is looking good for Tony Khan and AEW.

Advertisement