Connect with us

Sports

Ben Lynch takes 8th place at Winter Olympics

Published

on

Ben Lynch has finished in eighth place in the Finals of the Men’s Freestyle Skiing Halfpipe at the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics in Livigno on Friday night.

The Irishman posted an impressive score of 75.00 in the final run of the event. Lynch’s result marks one of the strongest Olympic performances by an Irish winter athlete to date.

Alex Ferreira of the United States won gold in the men’s freestyle skiing halfpipe competition with a score of 93.75. The US Olympian completed his Olympic medal set having previously won silver (2018) and bronze (2022). Silver went to Henry Sildaru from Estonia with a best score of 93.00, while Brendan Mackay of Canada claimed bronze with a 91.00 third run.

Lynch “couldn’t be more happy”

Reflecting on the significance of tonight’s result, Ben Lynch said:

Advertisement

“It feels really cool, especially because eight is my lucky number. My birthday is September 8th. I got eight stitches above my eyebrow here, so eight has always been my lucky number and the fact that I just got eight, the stars align.

“It definitely still feels surreal, but it’s sinking in a little bit. Yeah, it’s pretty cool because my last best result was 16, so I have that at the Olympics and couldn’t be more happy to be here.”

Pivotal third run

Lynch’s third run was his pivotal one, putting him right up the score board, as he explained:

“The third run, I was really nervous at the top. I felt very prepared, but obviously the nerves were on. My family’s here, everyone was watching, and I hadn’t landed my first two runs. But yeah, just tried really hard to focus on the run, not worry about the result, and I ended up landing it pretty much as good as I possibly could have, and I’m really, really excited.

Advertisement

“I think before this, I’d only gotten around the sixties in World Cups. It’s hard to get high scores in world level, world Cup level, but yeah, that’s the best score I’ve ever gotten. I also got down qualifier 75, so just so stoked.”


LiveScores Now Available at IrishScores.com

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Kerala Blasters first ISL home game on track, but stadium rent row casts shadow over future matches | Football News

Published

on

Kerala Blasters first ISL home game on track, but stadium rent row casts shadow over future matches
Photo credit: X/@KeralaBlasters

KOCHI: Preparations for Kerala Blasters’ first home match of the new Indian Super League (ISL) season against Mumbai City FC were thrown into turmoil on the eve of the fixture on Saturday, following an unexpected standoff with the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA), which owns the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi.GCDA denied permission for a pre-arranged pre-match press conference to be held inside the stadium, forcing the club to shift the interaction online at short notice.Tensions escalated later in the evening when GCDA officials reportedly asked All India Football Federation (AIFF) personnel, including match commissioner Arunava Bhattacharya, to vacate the premises. The authority also allegedly ordered the closure of the club’s administrative office operating within the stadium complex.Amid speculation that the match could be called off, the Blasters clarified in a late evening statement that the game would proceed as per schedule. “In the end, football is the winner. We will take to the field against Mumbai City FC tomorrow for our first home game of the season,” the club said.However, a source close to the management indicated that the understanding applies only for the opening fixture, with no clarity yet on arrangements for the remaining home games.The uncertainty stems from a dispute over stadium rent and pending payments.Last week, GCDA chairman K Chandran Pillai announced in a joint press conference with club officials that Rs 2 lakh would be charged as a one-time concession for this season, instead of Rs 8 lakh that was charged during the previous seasons.However, the authority’s executive committee, which met on Thursday, reportedly reversed the decision and fixed the rent at Rs 4.2 lakh per match.In addition to the revised match-day rent, GCDA is said to have demanded that the Blasters clear the full amount and settle an additional Rs 22 lakh as liability fees from the previous season within a week.According to a source within the club, the disputed sum relates to losses and additional expenses arising from a Bharatanatyam event held at the stadium in December last year.“Since the event happened in the middle of the season, they are asking us to pay that amount. Why should we pay the liability for an event that had no connection with us?” the source said.TOI reached out to GCDA officials, but they were not available for comment.The standoff played out publicly earlier in the day when GCDA security personnel asked journalists to vacate the hall designated for the pre-match press conference before locking up the venue. Blasters head coach David Catala and midfielder Rowllin Borges reportedly waited for over 30 minutes before leaving, once it became clear the interaction would not be allowed to proceed.The club subsequently conducted the media briefing online. During the session, Catala was asked pointedly by a reporter: “Which is your home ground?”The Spaniard kept his focus on football. His priority, he said, was preparing the squad and playing in front of their supporters at the stadium. He exuded confidence that the match would go ahead at the venue despite the uncertainty off the pitch.For now, the Blasters’ home opener will go ahead as per schedule, but the dispute on rent remains unresolved, casting a shadow over the rest of their ISL campaign.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Chad Johnson hits back at Ravens OC for seemingly sending pointed message to Lamar Jackson

Published

on

Chad Johnson doesn’t seem pleased with how the Baltimore Ravens are treating Lamar Jackson. The team’s new offensive coordinator, Declan Doyle, apparently targeted the two-time NFL MVP while making his stance on players’ participation in voluntary offseason workouts clear.

“We would expect them to be here and certainly it is voluntary,” Doyle said during his introductory press conference. “But also, if you want to say that you’re going to win a championship, you want to say that you have championship standards.”

Advertisement

Johnson lashed out at Doyle during Thursday’s episode of the “Nightcap” show. He was furious at the Ravens OC for making a show out of it.

“You don’t do that coming in as a new coach! It’s dumb and it’s stupid! Why would you piss off your QB with a message like that! It’s stupid!” Johnson said. “If you want Lamar to show up, you text him [privately]. How is coming at your franchise QB publicly supposed to help anything?”

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

According to ESPN’s Jamison Hensley, Doyle has spoken and met with Jackson a few times. He also had an hour-long video call during his interview for the job in Baltimore. They have exchanged some texts as well. Johnson probably believes the former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator could have asked the four-time Pro Bowler to attend the voluntary OTAs then.

Advertisement

The Ravens hired Declan Doyle on Feb. 2 after Todd Monken left to become coach of the Cleveland Browns on Jan. 28.

Also Read: NFL analyst links Ravens to Tyreek Hill as potential game-changer in Lamar Jackson contract talks


Ravens OC reveals his plan for Lamar Jackson

The Baltimore Ravens‘ newly hired head coach, Jesse Minter, brought Declan Doyle aboard to get the best out of the team’s franchise quarterback. The offensive coordinator shared his strategy for working with Lamar Jackson.

“You try to shape the offense around the player,” Doyles said on Saturday on Ari Meirov’s podcast. “We try to really give him a lot initially to see what he can handle, and from there it’s our job to shape it so he has success.

Doyle wants to focus on what the offense and the QB are good at. He plans to adapt to Jackson’s style. He does not want to mess it up by trying something that worked well with a different QB but might not be the right fit for the Ravens’ superstar.

Advertisement