Connect with us

Sports

Carl Froch honestly rates Joe Calzaghe’s boxing ability out of 10

Published

on

Carl Froch has rated the ability, rather than achievements, of Joe Calzaghe, who many would consider to be the greatest British fighter of all time.

The Welshman made a super-middleweight record of 21 consecutive world title defences, ending his dominant 10-year reign with a unanimous decision victory over Mikkel Kessler.

Another notable triumph at 168lbs came when he defeated the previously unbeaten Jeff Lacy, who many felt had the power to stop Calzaghe in 2006.

Advertisement

Instead, it was a masterful performance that saw the Welsh star unify his division, while his victory over Kessler – another previously unbeaten champion – arrived the following year.

The southpaw technician then moved up to 175lbs and dethroned Bernard Hopkins – who, even at 43 years old, was still a serviceable operator – with a split decision victory for the Ring Magazine title.

It was around this time, too, that Froch became the WBC’s mandatory challenger 168lbs, only for Calzaghe to vacate his title and leave the Nottingham man to fight Jean Pascal.

Sure enough, ‘The Cobra’ claimed his WBC belt in 2008, just a month after Calzaghe completed his 46-0 record by unanimously outpointing a faded Roy Jones Jr.

Advertisement

But while disappointed that he never fought the Welsh icon, Froch nonetheless said that he rates Calzaghe’s ability a 10/10, especially given his attributes of speed, toughness and stamina.

For context, he gave both himself and former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis a 9.5, before backtracking and saying that he should probably give Calzaghe the same.

Most, however, would argue that the Welshman possessed a superior skillset to Froch, who only suffered defeats to Kessler and the great Andre Ward.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Backstage report on Road Dogg claiming AEW didn’t sign him for his political views

Published

on

Former WWE veteran Road Dogg recently caused a stir when he claimed on social media that he was refused a job in AEW because of his political beliefs. Now, a report has emerged questioning the validity of the Hall of Famer’s statement on the matter.

Following his retirement from in-ring action over a decade ago, Brian James aka Road Dogg held a number of backstage positions in WWE, primarily in writing, production and training roles. The New Age Outlaws member was appointed as the co-lead writer of one of the promotion’s flagship shows, Friday Night Smackdown, towards the beginning of last year. However, this past March, it was reported that the veteran was parting ways with the sports entertainment juggernaut.

Advertisement

Recently, Road Dogg courted controversy on social media when he claimed that the AEW World Tag Team Championships are “beneath” Austin and Colten Gunn, the sons of his former tag partner Billy Gunn. During the online spat that ensued as a consequence, the former WWE Tag Team Champion also stated that he was denied a position in All Elite Wrestling because of his political beliefs.

On the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer questioned Brian James’ claim about the Tony Khan-led promotion not hiring him, noting that the company employs several individuals with conservative views, and that it supposedly does not discriminate with respect to hirings based on political philosophies.

“There are many people in AEW that have conservative viewpoints and I have never heard of anyone not being hired by AEW based on political viewpoints in one direction or the other,” Meltzer said. [H/T- Wrestling Inc]

Actually, I was turned away because of my political/ core beliefsThat happened IN AMERICA 🇺🇸 I didn’t donate to or vote for Trump, BUT his old man did, why was I punished ?

When were The Gunns last seen in action in AEW?

For the past several weeks, The Bang Bang Gang have been embroiled in a bitter rivalry with The Dogs and their allies, The Death Riders. Although Juice Robinson led his stable-mates Ace Austin and The Gunns to a victory against Jon Moxley’s crew on July 30, The One True King, along with Daniel Garcia, Wheeler Yuta and PAC, defeated Robinson, Austin and Colten Gunn, and Jack Perry in a multi-person tag bout on the August 8 edition of Collision, thanks to interference from Clark Connors and David Finlay.

Advertisement
youtube-cover

It remains to be seen what lies next for The Gunns and the rest of the Collision Cowboys in All Elite Wrestling.