Connect with us

Sports

David Benavidez cruiserweight world title shot against Gilberto Ramirez now official

Published

on

The upcoming showdown between David Benavidez and Gilberto Ramirez has finally been confirmed.

Benavidez was last in action in November when he successfully defended his WBC light heavyweight title for the first time with a seventh round stoppage victory over Anthony Yarde.

‘The Mexican Monster’ was initially expected to return with another title defence for his next bout as he looked to affirm his status as one of the best 175lbs fighters in the world, but he surprised everybody when he announced his intentions to move to cruiserweight.

Advertisement

He heads to the 200lb division to take on unified WBA and WBO champion Ramirez, and the bout has now been made official for the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday 2 May.

Ramirez will be returning after a near one-year absence, with his last bout coming in June 2025 when he successfully retained his titles with a unanimous decision win over Yuniel Dorticos.

A victory over Benavidez would undoubtedly be the biggest win of Ramirez’s career so far, who has suffered just one loss in his 49 professional fights, coming when he campaigned at light heavyweight at the hands of Dmitry Bivol back in November 2022.

Benavidez would become a three-weight world champion if he is triumphant in May, having previously also reigned as WBC super-middleweight champion on two occasions.

Advertisement

Despite moving up a division, ‘The Mexican Monster’ heads into the bout with Ramirez as the favourite, and a win could pave the way for a future clash against IBF cruiserweight champion Jai Opetaia, or a return to light heavyweight to meet unified king Bivol.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

“You will never be your own man”- Seeds planted for a potential betrayal within the MFTs on WWE SmackDown

Published

on

Tensions might be brewing within the MFTs after Shinsuke Nakamura confronted Tama Tonga backstage this week on WWE SmackDown. The two superstars have a lot of history with one another.

Tonga is in his second reign as the WWE Tag Team Champions. He won the titles with MFT leader Solo Sikoa and went on to pick up two huge singles wins, with the first being against Nakamura on SmackDown. This week on the blue brand, Tonga defeated Ilja Dragunov.

Backstage, Sikoa congratulated Tonga on his win and said that one day he would win the United States Championship. But, for now, the 43-year-old superstar needed to focus on The Wyatt Sicks, who have been feuding with the MFTs for months. This led to another exchange between Nakamura, who walked into the MFTs locker room and told Tonga that he was in Sikoa’s shadow and would never be a man of his own.

Advertisement

Check out the exchange between Nakamura and Tonga:

Tama Tonga shared a three-word message after beating Shinsuke Nakamura on WWE SmackDown

Tama Tonga shared a three-word message after he beat Shinsuke Nakamura on SmackDown. The two locked horns several weeks ago, with Tonga walking out with the win.

On social media, he shared a video of himself working out after the win and shared a three-word message. The tag team champion wrote:

“Pressure stays on. #BackToWork,”

Tonga has been loyal to Solo Sikoa from the first day he arrived in the WWE. He debuted post-WrestleMania XL, attacking Jimmy Uso and replacing him in Sikoa’s newly formed Bloodline.

Advertisement

After an absence from television due to injury, Tonga returned to align with the MFTs, as Sikoa rebranded the group from the new Bloodline to the MFTs. The reigning tag team champion has had his sights on the United States Championship for a while.