Connect with us

Sports

Lakers minority owner has no plans to sell 4% stake

Published

on

Dec 5, 2018; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers minority owner and Los Angeles Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong  reacts during the game against the San Antonio Spurs at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn ImagesDec 5, 2018; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers minority owner and Los Angeles Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong reacts during the game against the San Antonio Spurs at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Billionaire Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong does not intend to sell his minority stake in the Los Angeles Lakers amid a high-profile sale of the franchise.

Soon-Shiong’s family attorney, Chuck “Tiger” Kenworthy, said in a statement to ESPN on Thursday his client is “absolutely not selling” his 4% stake in the Lakers following the sale to Bob Iger and Josh Kushner.

Mark Walter sold his majority stake to Iger and Kushner in a transaction that valued the Lakers at $12.5 billion. Since then, the Buss family has also moved to sell its remaining 17.8%, though Jeanie Buss is attempting to block her five siblings from doing so.

“Bob Iger and Josh Kushner are good friends, and we will be joining them as supportive, active and engaged partners once they close the transaction with Mr. Walter,” Kenworthy told ESPN. “We are extremely excited about the Lakers’ future and look forward to many more championship years.”

Soon-Shiong, 74, is a medical doctor who invented a drug that treats lung cancer, breast cancer and pancreatic cancer. He founded a network of startups in the healthcare and artificial intelligence spaces and also purchased the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune in 2018.

Advertisement

Soon-Shiong purchased his 4% stake in the Lakers from franchise icon Magic Johnson in 2010.

His decision comes against the backdrop of the Buss family’s infighting over the future of their Lakers stake. Jeanie Buss spearheaded the sale of the franchise to Walter last year on a U.S. sports-record $10 billion valuation. Part of the agreement was that Jeanie Buss would remain governor of the franchise through 2030.

Her siblings came out this week with their intention of selling the Buss Family Trust’s remaining share. Doing so would mean Jeanie Buss could no longer serve as governor, as there is a 15% ownership requirement to be a controlling owner or governor of an NBA team.

Advertisement

Jeanie Buss’ lawyer Adam Streisand wrote in a letter to the siblings that a court ruled in 2017 that any sale of the Lakers required approval from the co-trustees, Jeanie Buss among them.

“Pursuant to the JAB Trust and the attached Court Order,” Streisand wrote, “the co-trustees are bound to vote the Los Angeles Lakers, Inc. shares to ensure that the minimum 15% ownership requirement is maintained in order to ensure that Jeanie Buss may remain Controlling Owner.

“Any attempt by the co-trustees to do otherwise, and any attempt to aid or abet the co-trustees as such, would constitute a breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and be in contempt of court.”

Advertisement

–Field Level Media

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

LPGA pros are under attack by … mosquitoes

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Real Madrid star rejects exit despite interest from Liverpool: Reports

Published

on

Real Madrid striker Endrick has turned down an opportunity to join Liverpool on loan this summer, as per reports. The Brazil international faces stern competition for places in the Los Blancos squad for the 2026-27 season, following the signings of two new attackers.

According to ESPN Brasil, Liverpool have indicated that they would be interested in signing Endrick on a temporary basis this summer. The 20-year-old has no interest in leaving the Bernabeu this summer, as he wishes to fight for his place at the club.

Real Madrid are blessed with a plethora of attacking options, particularly following the addition of Carlos Espi and Yan Diomande to their squad. This situation led Endrick to seek clarity about his immediate future in the squad, and Jose Mourinho assured him that he would get minutes to prove himself.

Advertisement

Endrick endured a similar situation last season, barely getting any minutes before he headed out on loan to Olympique Lyon in January. There, he scored eight goals and provided eight assists in half a season before returning to his parent club this summer.

Unlike the Spanish giants, Liverpool are struggling to find the attackers to fill up their squad this summer. They are without the injured Hugo Ekitike and lost Mohamed Salah, leading to their interest in Endrick, who can cover both positions. They will have to turn their attention elsewhere as they look to bring in reinforcements ahead of the transfer window’s closure.

Former Liverpool star unveiled officially as Real Madrid player

Former Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konate has been officially unveiled as a new signing for Real Madrid after joining on a free transfer. The France international has played once for his new club since arriving for pre-season this summer, playing 45 minutes in their last friendly against Schalke 04.

Konate reached an agreement to join the Spanish giants after his contract with the Reds expired at the end of the 2025-26 season. He played 51 times for the club across all competitions in his final season, more than he played in any of his four previous campaigns for them. He represented the club on 187 occasions, winning every domestic honour available in England.

Advertisement

Ibrahima Konate has taken the number 16 shirt at the Bernabeu and has signed a four-year contract until 2030. He joins Dean Huijsen, Eder Militao, Antonio Rudiger, and Raul Asencio as the senior centre-back options available for Jose Mourinho in the 2026-27 season.