“He is a crazy geezer, he is a mad Scotsman, but he is always the first one in and the last one out,” said former Aston Villa defender Ashley Young as he singled out current club captain John McGinn on BBC Radio 5 Live’s Football Daily podcast.
The 31-year-old made 12 out of a possible 15 appearances across the club’s Europa League-winning campaign, scoring five goals and contributing two assists.
Advertisement
“I’m sitting here feeling so proud of him,” said Young. “I’m so happy he gets to pick up that trophy after what he has done for and given to Aston Villa because it is just phenomenal.
Advertisement
“He is literally Mr Aston Villa day in, day out, so it is great to see him lift the trophy. Like every man on that pitch, from the first whistle right until the end, he played his part.
“He is a typical, true captain. He puts everyone before himself.”
Young also praised Victor Lindelof, who made a 66-minute appearance in the final, adding: “Everyone had a job to do and they did it – nobody more so than Victor Lindelof.
Advertisement
Advertisement
“I know a lot of people will be saying he only played 65 minutes, but he gave a lot to the team in that central midfield role.
“I knew he could play in the centre of the midfield, but I know a lot of people will have been wondering what Unai Emery was doing.
“He was winning the ball back, he was passing forward, he was looking to play forward.
“It was just a wholesome team performance from everyone out there. Every single one of them deserves the accolades they should be getting right now.”
Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings’ Tim Cone reacts during a game vs Rain or Shine Elasto Painters in the 2026 PBA Commissioner’s Cup. –MARLO CUETO/INQUIRER.net
ANTIPOLO—Coach Tim Cone conceded that Barangay Ginebra wasn’t able to respond to Rain or Shine’s timely plays in Game 1 of the PBA Commissioner’s Cup semifinals here.
The Gin Kings succumbed to the Elasto Painters, 115-111, on Wednesday at Ynares Center despite leading by 10 in the fourth quarter before failing to hold on down the stretch.
“They hit the bigger shots and we played their game tonight,” Cone lamented. “We didn’t have much discipline.”
While Justin Brownlee put up 32 points and RJ Abarrientos fired 21, including several threes that appeared to have been enough to secure Game 1, those were not enough to salvage Ginebra.
And Cone warned that the Gin Kings will be in for some big trouble if they keep making the same mistakes the rest of the way.
Advertisement
“If we’re going to continue to be like that, we’re not going to win many games in this series,” he said. “We’ve got to be tougher, we’ve got to be better, we’ve got to be more disciplined. They hit the bigger shots and made the bigger plays down the stretch.
Article continues after this advertisement
“The bottom line is we gave up way too many games. We made them play their running game and we made too many turnovers. We’ve got to be better locked in next time.”
Game 2 is on Friday at Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City as Ginebra looks to bounce back and avoid a 0-2 deficit.
Advertisement
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Stop the presses! The NFL schedules are here! In the most anticipated news since last month’s NFL Draft, the NFL released its 2026 league schedule last week (because, well, in the NFL “April rookies bring May bookies”). Or at least that is what the NFL would have us think. But as the big-time draft event slips into memory, the NFL tantalizes us with the schedule to get us speculating on the coming season even more. The NFL knows how to market itself.
But truth be told, the schedule helps bring the coming season into focus, as we now know who, when and where the games will be played. For the Minnesota Vikings, the schedule is always filled with some interesting surprises and this season’s is no different. The season beings with a double dose of divisional opponents (the Packers and Bears) right out of the game and features an international trip to Mexico City to play the San Francisco 49ers in November. It also includes four 3 p.m.-slotted games, three prime time games, two flex games with their starts times TBD and zero games on holidays. All worth talking about.
So, that’s what the fellas at the Vikings Territory Breakdown podcast—Joe Oberle, senior writer at vikingsterritory.com and purplePTSD.com, and Mark Craig, NFL and Vikings writer for the Star Tribune and startribune.com—plan to do. They will look at each game, the opponent and see how we think the game will come out. And speaking of the NFL Draft, the NFL announced that the Twin Cities will host to the 2028 NFL Draft—which will give us even more to speculate about. Tune in and check it out. Skol!
Advertisement
Listen to Vikings Territory Breakdown Podcast here or on your favorite podcast network.
Joe Oberle is a veteran sportswriter/editor/reporter and has covered the Vikings since 2008. The author of three books, he … More about Joe Oberle
Moses Itauma looks poised to next face Filip Hrgovic in an intriguing heavyweight test that could answer many questions, and British heavyweight veteran Derek Chisora has offered his thoughts on the fight.
Itauma is yet to box beyond the sixth round in his 14 professional bouts, going the distance in two six-rounders and knocking out all other opposition before that point, despite recently jumping up to the world level.
However, speaking with talkSPORT Boxing, Chisora seemed hesitant to predict an Itauma win, labelling it a ‘big step up’ for the 21-year-old and a ‘good fight’ for Hrgovic.
“You can tell by his eyes, he [Hrgovic] is so confident, him and Moses would be a good fight. Is he a good fighter? He is an amazing fighter, they call him ‘El Animal’, there is a reason that they call him that.
“To answer your question, is that going to be a good fight for him [Hrgovic]? Southpaw, young fighter, yes.”
“I love Moses, I believe that when you have people pushing you so much, having you think that you can beat anybody in the world, you believe it yourself. I think that this is a big step up for him.”
CSK batting coach Michael Hussey said that he was not there with the team and added that if the team qualifies for the Playoffs, the veteran cricketer may join the side.
“I can confirm he is not here with the team, but if we do happen to qualify, then he will definitely join back up with the team. He has got a bit of a sore thumb, so it is recovering nicely, but he would not be ready for this match. But hopefully, if we can manage to get through to the playoffs, then hopefully he will be alright.”
After a setback against Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH), CSK faces the Gujarat Titans (GT), seated at the second spot in the points table in a must-win clash that would take them to 14 points if they win. If they win, they will have to pray that the other remaining fixtures of the group stage go their way and help them reach the playoffs.
Advertisement
(With ANI inputs)
Featured Video Of The Day
Tushar Deshpande’s Brilliant Final Act Ensures Thrilling Win For RR Over Gujarat Titans
For as long as this sport has existed, golfers have chased daylight. And for as long as there have been lists, golfers have chased those, too.
The latest adventurer on such a quest is Daniel Belk, a 32-year-old Denver-based entrepreneur who recently sold two companies, leaving him with free time and money in the bank.
“Everyone kept asking me, ‘Daniel, what’s next?’” Belk says. “I was like, Y’all gotta stop asking me what’s next. It’s starting to stress me out. Let me just take a week to play some golf.”
A week turned into two weeks, which gave rise to an idea: play GOLF’s Top 100 Courses You Can Play in less than a year.
Advertisement
“I’ve always been someone who has loved to travel, and golf courses are epic destinations. It’s a super-fun way to see many parts of the country,” Belk says.
Easier said than done.
It is, for starters, an expensive project; Belk has budgeted $85,000 for it. It also requires planning. Tee sheets get crowded. Weather turns sour. Belk began his odyssey in April and, as of this writing, has knocked off 12 courses. Only 88 to go.
His schedule is shaped by the seasons. Springtime has found him in the Southeast. Summer will take him through the Midwest — he and his friends have a Ryder Cup-style match slated for Sand Valley. Come winter, he figures to make his way through California and Hawaii.
Advertisement
Belk has a few things working in his favor. His brother has a pilot’s license and access to a plane, which allows for some surgical strikes. And despite the name, the Top 100 isn’t spread evenly across the map. More than half the courses on the list are concentrated in just seven states: California, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oregon, Michigan and Wisconsin.
Then there’s this advantage.
“I’m in the perfect spot in life where I don’t have kids and I don’t have a job, clearly,” Belk says. “Instead of waiting until I’m 60, let me shoot a couple of sub-80 scores, have some fun and do it while I’m young.”
Not a bad reason to chase a list.
Advertisement
To learn more about Belk’s journey, watch the video above.
It will open fully for the first time on Sunday when a new attendance record will be set for the stadium
Manchester City fans said they were ‘very impressed’ as they were allowed into the Etihad Stadium’s newly expanded North Stand for the first time – just days before it opens on what promises to be a momentous day for the club.
More than 7,000 seats have been added to the stand’s second tier as part of a huge £300 million revamp.
Advertisement
It will open at full capacity for the first time for Sunday’s final game of the Premier League season at home to Aston Villa. That will see the club set a new attendance record for the stadium of over 60,000.
Click here to get the biggest stories straight to your inbox in our Daily Newsletter
Despite their lingering title hopes being officially ended with a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth on Tuesday night, it will be an emotional day for all those of a Blues persuasion.
Terrace heroes Bernardo Silva and John Stones will play their final games for the club, while it is also been widely reported it will be boss Pep Guardiola’s last game in charge at the Etihad after a trophy-laden decade at the helm.
Advertisement
That has not yet been confirmed, with the Spaniard saying at the Vitality Stadium that he would speak to the club’s chairman before announcing any decision on his future.
Blues supporters got their first look inside the new-look stand last night (Wednesday). More than 3,500 fans were invited in for a test event, which was required for the club to obtain clearance to open it on Sunday.
Supporters spent time wandering around and eating and drinking on the new-look concourse, complete with self-service screens and pickup kiosks.
They also got their first peak of the hallowed turf from the more than 60 rows of seats.
In contrast to the South Stand, which was also expanded a decade ago and is spread across three tiers, the club decided to add the new seats to the North Stand’s second tier, creating a steep, sloping upper tier, which it was said it was hoped would become ‘the Blue Wall’ – a reference to the ‘Yellow Wall’, a steep single–tiered stand at Borussia Dortmund’s stadium which is famous for its atmosphere.
More than 3,000 of the new seats are rail seats, which allow for safe standing, and a new singing section is to be established. City say the stand has allowed them offer more than 4,000 new ‘flexi-gold’ season tickets around the stadium for next season.
And those were in attendance on Wednesday got their first taste of what the action will look like from the seats.
A stage was erected where the goal is usually situated. There was a performance from City supporting indie band The Lilacs as well appearances from members of the academy and women’s teams, former players, and a quiz.
There were loud cheers when the goals from City’s recent FA Youth Cup victory against Manchester United and the FA Cup win over Chelsea at Wembley on Saturday were shown on the big screen.
Chris Warburton, 70, from Sale, said: “I think it’s really good. It’s a lot more spread out. The facilities are really, really good.
“And the views are sensational. It’s great everywhere but this really is a step up. I’m a season ticket holder in the East Stand but I’d be interested in moving over here.”
Alicia Eden, 36, from Oldham, who was with son Joshua, 10, said: “We like it. We have our seats in the Family Stand below but he already wants to relocate.
“There’s a lot going on. The kiosks are great. I just think the whole layout feels a lot better. It feels a bit like Wembley. I’m very impressed.”
Speaking from the stage, the club’s Managing Director Danny Wlson said it was a ‘big statement of (their) ambition’ and ‘a big milestone’ for the club.
City said in a statement issued afterwards that the stand had ‘passed all operational checks’ following the ‘successful’ event.
Around 3,500 tickets for the new stand have already been sold for the Villa game, and the club said the remainder would go on sale to members this afternoon (Thursday).
“We wish to thank all the fans who attended tonight’s test event,” they said. “Their support and cooperation have been vital in enabling us to operate at full capacity on Sunday.
“We also look forward to welcoming fans back to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday for what promises to be a special occasion.”
The wider Medlock Square development also includes a new 3,000 capacity fanzone, new museum, City Store, and 401-bedroom hotel. These are due to open to the public before the end of this year.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login