Connect with us

Sports

Mike Tyson says 2 men stand above the rest as the greatest heavyweights ever

Published

on

Boxing fans regularly debate who they believe to be the greatest heavyweights of all time and now boxing legend Mike Tyson has weighed in himself with his own verdict.

Tyson is often mentioned in those debates, after establishing himself as ‘The Baddest Man On The Planet’ during a ferocious run throughout the 1980s.

He became the youngest world heavyweight champion in history, and later secured undisputed status, claiming knockout wins over fighters such as Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks along the way.

Advertisement

A shock defeat to Buster Douglas ended his title reign, and while he would become champion again, further losses to the likes of Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis somewhat diminish Tyson’s claim to be one of the best ever.

It would appear that ‘Iron Mike’ disagrees though, as when asked on The Big Podcast With Shaq who he thinks are the two best ever, Tyson placed just one name above his own.

“Muhammad Ali then me.”

Tyson then insisted that the majority of the general public would agree with his placement.

“If you put up some stats or something, ask the world. Not one guy — 10 guys. Ask the world.”

It comes as no surprise to see Tyson rank Ali above himself as the number one heavyweight ever, with the Louisville-native living up to his iconic nickname of ‘The Greatest.’

Advertisement

He has a record which stacks up against any other heavyweight throughout history, earning wins over fellow greats such as George Foreman and Joe Frazier, and there would be very few boxing fans that would argue about Ali being viewed as the best of all time.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Morikawa wins at Pebble Beach with birdie on the final hole

Published

on

A birdie at the last hole sees Collin Morikawa take victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am – his first PGA Tour win in more than two years.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Jaylen Brown: Beverly Hills PD’s account of event shutdown not true

Published

on

NBA: 75th All Star GameFeb 15, 2026; Inglewood, California, USA; Team USA Stripes forward Jaylen Brown (7) of the Boston Celtics shoots a lay up in game four against Team Stars during the 75th NBA All Star Game at Intuit Dome. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

When Boston Celtics All-Star Jaylen Brown spoke with reporters after Sunday’s All-Star Game in Inglewood, Calif., the topic quickly went from basketball to an incident between Brown and the Beverly Hills Police Department a night earlier.

And Brown’s account of events stands in stark contrast to those of the Beverly Hills PD.

On Saturday night, police were called to a home where Brown was hosting what he called a “panel” — an event for his personal brand, 741, and Oakley, of which Brown says he is a brand partner.

But when police showed up, they said the event had to end because a permit for the event was previously denied.

“On Saturday, February 14, the Beverly Hills Police Department (BHPD) responded to an event taking place at a private residence in the Trousdale neighborhood of (Beverly Hills),” the BHPD told The Boston Globe in statement Sunday. “An event permit had been applied for and denied by the City due to previous violations associated with events at the address.

Advertisement

“Despite the fact that the permit was denied, organizers still chose to proceed with inviting hundreds of guests knowing that it was not allowed to occur. BHPD responded and shut down the unpermitted event.”

The claim about the permit was one of the issues that angered Brown.

“That was not true,” Brown told reporters. “We didn’t need a permit because the owner of the house, that was his space. We were family friends. He opened up the festivities to us so we didn’t have to. We never applied for one. … I didn’t have to pay for the house or anything. They just opened it up. I had to pay for the build-out, but it was hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted for an event that was supposed to be positive.”

Advertisement

Saturday night, a video showing Brown speaking with a police officer at the house was posted to social media. In the video, Brown is seen repeatedly asking why the event was being shut down, with the officer said “the City” was shutting down the event.

“(I’m) in LA, we’re just trying to have an event, a panel, talking about culture, talking about future, talking about leadership, and for whatever reason I feel like we’re being targeted,” Brown told the camera.

Back at the All-Star Game, Brown said the house belonged to Jim Jannard, the founder of Oakley, and that he did not have to pay to use the house for the event.

“I’m offended by Beverly Hills, by the statement they put out, like we applied for something and didn’t get it and we did it anyway,” Brown added. “Like we were insubordinate. I know how to follow the rules. … It just seemed like somebody, you know, didn’t want whatever we had going on, to go on. Because out of everyone to be doing something (in the neighborhood), I was the only one that gets shut down.”

Advertisement

During the interview, Brown repeated that several hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent setting up the event, and that the owner of the house is considering filing a lawsuit.

“It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth,” he added. “I don’t think the BPDH made the right call here. The statement they put out was not accurate.”

–Field Level Media

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

U.S. Figure Skating doesn’t appeal Chock and Bates’ ice dance results

Published

on

Olympics: Figure Skating-Mixed Ice Dance Free DanceFeb 11, 2026; Milan, Italy; Silver medalists Madison Chock and Evan Bates of the United States and gold medalists Laurence Fournier Beaudry pose after receiving their medals during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena. Mandatory Credit: Amber Searls-Imagn Images

MILAN, Italy — U.S. Figure Skating did not appeal Madison Chock and Evan Bates’ score from the ice dance final, which drew the ire of some fans and forced the veteran Americans to settle for silver at the Milan Cortina Games.

Chock and Bates, who had been undefeated all season, said they felt like they had skated a winning performance in Wednesday’s free dance.

Their fans agreed, and created an online petition calling for the International Skating Union (ISU) and International Olympic Committee to review the scoring, which led to France’s Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron claiming gold.

U.S. Figure Skating praised the pair’s “world-class” performances in Northern Italy, which included playing a key role in securing the U.S. a gold medal in the team event earlier in the Games.

“There has been a lot of thoughtful, and at times emotional, discussion about the ice dance competition in Milan,” U.S. Figure Skating CEO Matt Farrell said in a statement on Sunday.

Advertisement

“Working together with Madi and Evan after the Games, we will have thoughtful and intentional discussions about the best way to support them and the future of the sport,” he said.

“For now, we plan to join them in supporting the success of the U.S. Figure Skating team in Milan.”

While U.S. Figure Skating’s statement did not explicitly say it would not appeal the scoring, the 24-hour window of time for an appeal to be requested has passed.

Advertisement

Beaudry and Cizeron won the gold with a total of 225.82 points, while the Americans earned 224.39.

Much of the outrage stemmed from the fact French judge Jezabel Dabouis favored Fournier Beaudry and Cizeron by nearly eight points over the three-time world champion Americans in the free dance.

The ISU on Friday said it had “full confidence in the scores given,” adding that multiple layers of review are built into the judging system to reduce discrepancies and ensure fairness.

Chock and Bates added their silver medal to two team gold medals, including the one they played a key role in capturing for the U.S. at the Milan Cortina Games.

Advertisement

–Reuters, special to Field Level Media

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Tyson Fury is backing one man to get the stoppage in Chisora vs Wilder: “I’m going with him”

Published

on

Derek Chisora vs. Deontay Wilder is an intriguing heavyweight battle but Tyson Fury only sees it going one way.

Veteran fighters Chisora and Wilder will meet at the O2 Arena in London on April 11, with each man taking part in their respective 50th professional bout.

Chisora is a former British and European champion who has come up short in his two world title opportunities, while Wilder is the former WBC heavyweight champion, who held the belt for five years and made 10 successful defences.

Advertisement

One man who knows each fighter extremely well is Fury, who has taken on both Chisora and Wilder on three occasions, beating ‘Del Boy’ each time, whilst having two wins and one draw against ‘The Bronze Bomber.’

Speaking on social media after the upcoming showdown, Fury insisted that he sees Chisora earning a knockout victory.

“I think this is a great fight. I’ve fought both of these men three times each. I think it’s a very good fight but on this one I’m going to go with my boy Chisora for a stoppage.”

Fury also declared that a title should be added to the bout.

“There should be a belt on the line too. One of you sanctioning bodies you’ve got two legendary fighters here. A world champion with 10 title defences from the USA and an absolute warlord from the United Kingdom who has fought everybody and never ducked anybody and would have been a good heavyweight in any era in Derek. Put a belt on the line.”

With Oleksandr Usyk holding the WBC, WBA and IBF titles and Fabio Wardley the current WBO champion, a belt won’t be on the line in the Chisora vs. Wilder clash, but the winner could well earn themselves a future crack at world honours.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Kansas State coach Jerome Tang gets fired “for cause” 4 days after putting players on blast vs. Cincinnati game

Published

on

Jerome Tang chewed out his players after their 91-62 blowout home loss to Cincinnati on Wednesday. Four days later, he’s been fired “for cause” from the Kansas State coaching job.

According to ESPN, the basis for the for-cause firing is language in Jerome Tang’s contract that references any activity that brings “public disrepute, embarrassment, ridicule” to Kansas State. The school’s athletic director, Gene Taylor, made a statement about the decision.

“This was a decision that was made in the best interest of our university and men’s basketball program, Taylor said.

“Recent public comments and conduct, in addition to the program’s overall direction, have not aligned with K-State’s standards for supporting student-athletes and representing the university. We wish Coach Tang and his family all the best moving forward.”

Advertisement

The Kansas State Wildcats have just one win in the Big 12 Conference this season. Tang followed up the public criticism by having the team play against No. 3-ranked Houston without player names on the back of their jerseys.

“These dudes do not deserve to wear this uniform,” Tang said after the 78-64 loss to the Cougars.

“There will be very few of them in it next year. I’m embarrassed for the university, I’m embarrassed for our fans, our student section. It is ridiculous. I have no answer. No words.”

The program will shortly name an interim coach while conducting a search for a full-time leader.

Jerome Tang disagrees with “for cause” firing

The Kansas State Wildcats hired Jerome Tang on March 21, 2022. He led the program to an Elite Eight appearance in his first season. However, he could achieve similar feats in subsequent seasons with the program.

Tang does not agree with being fired “for cause”.

Advertisement

“I am deeply disappointed with the university’s decision and strongly disagree with the characterization of my termination, Tang told ESPN.

“I have always acted with integrity and faithfully fulfilled my responsibilities as head coach.”

The 2023 Naismith College Coach of the Year signed a contract extension through the 2029-30 season, and there is still $18.67 million remaining on that contract. He plans to fight the for-cause firing.