Connect with us

Sports

Why golfers keep playing ‘frustrating’ game, according to Scottie Scheffler

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cannae signals Derby ambitions with 2026 Caulfield Heath victory

Published

on

Following Cannae’s breakthrough win at Caulfield Heath, trainer Danny O’Brien welcomes possible inquiries from Hong Kong buyers.

Nonetheless, the three-year-old’s handler contemplates cross-border Derby targets after the gelding’s second-out success in the Sportsbet Race Previews Plate (1500m) on Wednesday.

O’Brien forked out $20,000 for the son of Maurice at the Adelaide Magic Millions yearling auction, aiming to train and race the gelding personally.

In conjunction with wife Nina, O’Brien described Cannae as a tardy foal and diminutive when selected, prior to his three-year-old phase.

Advertisement

“I really liked him at the sales, and he was in the last 20 lots and was one of those ones that fell through the cracks, so I thought I’d give this one a crack myself,” O’Brien said.

“I’ll speck some, keep some to trade, and some to race.”

O’Brien indicated no foreign propositions for Cannae so far, yet the midweek result might prompt them.

“He was never going to be a horse that showed up in 800-metre trials,” O’Brien said.

Advertisement

“He was always going to be one that had to develop into being this type of racehorse.

There is a decent enough market for these sorts of horses and Hong Kong loves these sorts of horses, three-year-old’s that are still lightly raced with the potential of getting to the Derby.”

Ridden by Damian Lane at $2.80 favourite status, Cannae prevailed by a short neck against Peeaitchdee ($3), with Somethingintheair ($13) one length adrift in third.

Cannae began his career at Sandown last month from a rearward position, and O’Brien highlights significant strides made by the gelding.

Advertisement

“He’s building a foundation to being a pretty decent horse,” O’Brien said.

“He’s been picking up some pretty decent horses in his gallops. He has got that ability to quicken up and hit the line.

“His pedigree says, being by Maurice, he takes that leap at least to 2000 metres, so we’ve got plenty of options for at least the rest of his three-year-old year.

“We entered him last week for the Australian Derby, but that’s probably a bit soon and everything would have to fall into place, but there is also the South Australian Derby and Queensland Derby after that.”

Advertisement

Discover top racing betting markets ahead of Cannae’s potential Derby appearances.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Man United latest: Fresh Barcelona battle looms amid concerns over loan star

Published

on

Manchester United face a big three months as they look to clinch Champions League qualification under Michael Carrick

Manchester United are currently enjoying a two-week break due to their third round exit from the FA Cup but will need to quickly get back up to speed. By the time Monday’s game at Everton rolls around, some 13 days will have passed since Benjamin Sesko secured United a point at West Ham.

That doesn’t mean we’ve been free from headlines about United, though, with much of the chatter focusing on what’s to come this summer. A decision will need to be made regarding Michael Carrick’s future as manager, with 12 matches of the season left for him to make his case even more strongly, while some transfer activity is inevitable regardless of who occupies the dugout.

Advertisement

United have already confirmed Casemiro won’t be at Old Trafford next season, with the Brazilian international aiming to leave on a high note. Things aren’t set in stone when it comes Marcus Rashford, who is currently on loan at Barcelona and could well still move to Camp Nou permanently.

We have an update on another of United’s loanees, as well as a separate Barca battle. Here are our latest discussion points from around Old Trafford.

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activateor add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Lausanne decision causes Kone concern

The winter transfer window wasn’t the busiest for Manchester United but it did see Sekou Kone loaned out to Lausanne-Sport in early February. However, the Malian midfielder’s move hasn’t quite gone according to plan – at least not for his first few weeks in Switzerland.

Advertisement

Kone made his debut coming off the bench against Thun in a league defeat. However, he has remained an unused substitute in Lausanne’s other two February fixtures, and has now been left out of the club’s Conference League squad.

United highlighted possible European involvement as justification for loaning Kone to Switzerland. Now, according to The Mail, the latest development has caused concern

Lausanne secured ninth position in the Conference League table before Christmas, suffering just one defeat in their six league phase fixtures. This means they’re seeded for the play-off round, where they face Czech outfit Sigma Olomouc.

Advertisement

Double battle with Barca

Manchester United could see their transfer plans derailed by Barcelona not once but twice, according to reports from Germany. Borussia Dortmund right-back Julian Ryerson is one of two reported United targets also eyed by the Catalan club, as well as young German midfielder Kennert Eichhorn.

Content cannot be displayed without consent

According to BILD (via Sport Witness), Eichhorn has attracted attention from several major clubs with his performances for Hertha Berlin. Bundesliga sides Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt, Bayer Leverkusen and RB Leipzig have been mentioned as possible destinations, along with Barcelona, Real Madrid and United.

The wonderkid only celebrated his 16th birthday in July but established himself in Hertha’s first team before sustaining an ankle injury which has sidelined him for the last three matches. He has featured in 12 of his side’s 2. Bundesliga games this season as Stefan Leitl’s team occupy sixth place in the standings.

The defensive midfielder reportedly has a release clause around £10million. It’s anticipated that he will make a move this summer, even if Hertha manage to secure promotion back to the top tier.

Advertisement

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Content Image

£49

£35

Sky

Advertisement

Get Sky Sports here

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle for the 2025/26 season, saving members £336 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games this season, an increase of up to 100 more.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Decorum targets 2026 Rosehill Guineas path with latest success

Published

on

With three wins in only four starts, the lightly raced three-year-old Decorum has emerged as a prospect for the Group One Rosehill Guineas.

Trained by Michael Freedman and jumping at $1.65 in betting, the colt capitalised on his recent first-up score at Warwick Farm by grinding out victory in Wednesday’s Hyland Race Colours Handicap (1600m) at the same course, wearing down Lancelot Du Lac ($2.80) by a narrow half-length margin.

As the full brother to 2024 Coolmore Stud Stakes champion Switzerland, Decorum demonstrates a preference for stamina-testing distances over his brother’s sprint prowess, and victorious jockey Tommy Berry agrees on his bright outlook.

“I just can’t wait to get him to 2000 (metres). He feels like he’s looking for that sort of ground,” Berry said.

Advertisement

“There is definitely a good race in him. I’m just not sure which one it is.”

Entries are in place for Decorum in multiple autumn carnival majors, including the Randwick Guineas and Rosehill Guineas.

Among the frontrunners for those is Spring Champion Stakes graduate Attica, resuming Saturday in Randwick’s Hobartville Stakes, whom Berry likens to Decorum.

Specifically, Attica had to dig deep to defeat Decorum in their joint debut at Warwick Farm last season, en route to Group 1 success three starts beyond.

Advertisement

“Not that I’ve ridden Attica, but I’ve seen plenty of him, he reminds me a little bit of him a ‘prep’ ago, so he’s a prep behind him,” Berry said.

“He’s one of those horses, he’s a real working class horse and when the penny drops, which probably won’t be until the spring, he’s just going to keep going the way he’s going.

“The Randwick Guineas might be a little bit sharp for him, but you’ve probably got to go there on your way to a Rosehill Guineas.”

Decorum arguably posted the day’s top result, yet Nash Rawiller dominated the riding stakes with three winners from the opening trio of races.

Advertisement

He piloted late addition Satirically for Tulloch Lodge to win first-up, before striking again with Wolf Gap from Anthony and Sam Freedman and Straand Beauty for John O’Shea and Tom Charlton.

Head to the betting sites for competitive racing betting markets on the Rosehill Guineas.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Watch Live: Canada vs. Norway Olympic men’s curling at 3:05 a.m. ET

Published

on

Canada wraps up round-robin play in men’s curling with a game against Norway at the Winter Olympics. First shot is scheduled for 3:05 a.m. ET / 12:05 a.m. PT on Thursday.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Real's Vinicius slams 'cowards' after racism row interrupts Benfica Champions League clash

Published

on


Real Madrid striker Vinicius Junior took aim at racist “cowards” after he was allegedly abused by Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni on Tuesday during the first leg of their Champions League play-off, prompting the referee to briefly stop the match and activate an anti-racism protocol.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

No. 17 St. John’s continues winning ways versus Marquette

Published

on

NCAA Basketball: St. John at MarquetteFeb 18, 2026; Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA; Marquette Golden Eagles guard Adrien Stevens (10) and St. John’s Red Storm forward Zuby Ejiofor (24) reach for the ball during the first half at Fiserv Forum. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-Imagn Images

Bryce Hopkins had 23 points and 10 rebounds and Oziyah Sellers added 12 points as 17th-ranked St. John’s held off host Marquette 76-70 in a Big East matchup Wednesday in Milwaukee, Wis., extending its winning streak to 12 games.

St. John’s (21-5, 14-1 Big East) moved atop the conference, a half-game in front of No. 5 UConn, which was upset by Creighton 91-84 on Wednesday. The Red Storm has not lost since a 77-71 setback against Providence on Jan. 3.

Nigel James Jr. had 25 points and Royce Parham 13 for Marquette (9-18, 4-12 Big East), which has lost four of its last five games.

Joson Sanon’s 3-pointer put St. John’s up 67-61 with 6:37 remaining, but neither team scored again until Zuby Ejofor hit a free throw with 4:10 left to make it 68-61.

Sanon’s subsequent free throw put St. John’s up 71-63 with just under three minutes left. Adrian Stevens hit a 3-pointer and Tre Norman hit the second of two free throws to pull Marquette within 71-67 with 44 seconds remaining.

Advertisement

James converted a three-point play to make it 72-70 with 27.5 seconds left. Ejofor’s two free throws pushed the lead to 74-70 with 21.1 seconds remaining.

Marquette’s Chase Ross missed a baseline runner and Hopkins added a pair of free throws.

Marquette erased a nine-point halftime deficit with an 11-point run to open the second half. Ross’s 3-pointer from the top put the Golden Eagles in front 46-44 as St. John’s missed its first five shots after the break.

Advertisement

James scored on consecutive drives to put Marquette in front 56-50 with just under 12 minutes remaining.

St. John’s responded with a nine-point run, going in front 59-56 on Hopkins’ 3-pointer.

St. John’s closed the first half with a 10-4 run for a 44-35 halftime lead. The Red Storm shot 54.8 in the first half, hitting 7 of their final 8 shots.

Advertisement

–Field Level Media

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Ranji Trophy: Jammu and Kashmir dare to dream under pressure – A big leap long in the making | Cricket News

Published

on

Ranji Trophy: Jammu and Kashmir dare to dream under pressure – A big leap long in the making
Jammu and Kashmir’s players celebrate after the team’s victory in Ranji Trophy semifinal against Bengal. (PTI Photo)

KALYANI: History had barely settled in when the phone rang. A familiar face flashed up on a video call. Minutes after Jammu and Kashmir sealed a spot in the Ranji Trophy final, the team heard from BCCI president Mithun Manhas, a former head of the J&K cricket’s ad-hoc committee. It was fitting. J&K first entered the Ranji Trophy in the 1959-60 season. For decades they were treated as plucky participants, rarely as genuine threats. The transformation into a side that now talks — and plays — like title contenders has had Manhas’ imprint on it.Go Beyond The Boundary with our YouTube channel. SUBSCRIBE NOW!“We have done it, Mithun,” J&K coach Ajay Sharma shouted out on the phone, “Mithun and I go back a long way. He made his debut for Delhi under me. I know how hard he had worked for this.”There is a fairy-tale quality to J&K’s rise as a cricketing power: overcoming odds, brushing aside doubts, and learning the most important skill of all — self-belief. But this isn’t a story built on romance alone. It has also been shaped by method, patience and the hard labour of building a culture.

Why Pakistan don’t trust Babar Azam any more | T20 World Cup 2026

Former Delhi player Sharma himself admits he struggled to get a grip when he first took charge before the 2022-23 season. “When I joined for the first time, I was handling 38 boys. I was alone then,” Sharma said.The set-up looks very different now. J&K have a bowling coach in P Krishnakumar and Dishant Yagnik as their fielding coach. These are small additions on paper, significant ones in a dressing room trying to grow into a winning unit.“Initially it was challenging because it was a very different culture in J&K. It took me around two years to understand these kids. It took time to bond with them,” he said. “I was hard on them initially. But today they see me as an elder brother.”The first shift, Sharma believes, had to happen in the mind. “These boys only think about white-ball cricket and the IPL. We have players from the state in the IPL. But Mithun, as J&K cricket administrator, had a vision and that is to win the Ranji trophy. Ranji trophy still remains the country’s premier tournament. If you do well here your name goes ahead,” Sharma said.From there, the work became more deliberate: identify a core and keep backing it. A group of 24-25 boys began to take shape — some, like left-arm pacer Sunil Kumar, emerging through talent-hunt competitions. “It’s the same bunch which has developed as we kept giving them confidence,” Sharma stated.Alongside confidence came ambition — not the loud, throwaway kind, but some-thing planted carefully and watered over seasons. “I slowly made them understand that you are all talented guys and you are all around 19-20 years of age. You have the game in you so if you apply a little, you can play for India,” he said.Infrastructure, too, mattered. J&K’s push included pitch preparation, with Sharma noting the state now has both black and red soil pitches, a rare advantage for a side looking to be versatile at home and resilient away.Preparation became a season-defining theme. “Pre-season is very important and we started playing the Buchi Babu (in Chennai) for the last two-three years,” Sharma pointed out. Facing bigger sides there, and surviving those examinations, helped the group believe it could beat anyone.“J&K has become a team to reckon with. Everybody is scared of playing J&K now,” Sharma thundered. “We have all bases covered having both quality fast bowlers and spinners. We have won both the knockout matches away from home.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

US ski star Shiffrin beats Swiss world champion Rast to win Olympic slalom gold

Published

on


US skier Mikaela Shiffrin won gold in the slalom event on Wednesday, finishing a whopping 1.50sec ahead of Swiss world champion Camille Rast.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Champions League: What happened on Real Madrid bench and tunnel after Vinicius Jr racism allegation?

Published

on

Champions League Match of the Day pundit Guillem Balague, who attended Real Madrid’s match at Benfica on Tuesday, explains the aftermath of the alleged racist incident between Vinicius Jr and Gianluca Prestianni.

READ MORE: Vinicius: Eight years at Real Madrid, 20 cases of alleged racist abuse

Available to UK users only.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Lampard Praises Frank Onyeka After Impressive Coventry City Debut

Published

on

Chelsea and England legend Frank Lampard has praised Super Eagles midfielder Frank Onyeka after his strong debut for Coventry City.

The 28-year-old joined Coventry from Brentford in the January transfer window but missed their previous match against Oxford United because his wife was about to give birth. He returned to action in their crucial clash against Middlesbrough and was named in the starting line-up.

Onyeka played 75 minutes at the Coventry Building Society Arena, winning duels, pressing high and helping his team stay organised in midfield.

  • Eniola Bolaji rises to World No. 1 in Para-BadmintonEniola Bolaji rises to World No. 1 in Para-Badminton

Advertisement

After the game, Lampard expressed his delight with the Nigerian midfielder’s performance, saying his energy and ball-winning ability were key reasons he was signed.

“He was outstanding – the energy, the ball winning,” Lampard said. “He was so visible with his pressing, break-up play and quality on the ball. He reads the game quickly, covers a lot of ground and can play as well.”

Lampard added that Onyeka’s experience in the Premier League and with the national team gave the squad a boost.

Advertisement

“When you bring in a player of that level, it gives everybody a lift. It’s not easy to come into a game at this level, but it looked like it was there,” he said.

Onyeka played alongside Matt Grimes in midfield, and the pair helped Coventry look more solid in the centre of the pitch. Lampard said Onyeka brought a different profile to the team and had already impressed in training.

“He was tired and cramping up, that’s why he had to come off, but he will get fitter. His impact was high, and I’m very pleased with him,” Lampard added.

Coventry’s win over Middlesbrough moved them to the top of the EFL Championship table, although only by a single point.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025