Connect with us

Sports

Former undisputed champion says he is fighting Tim Tszyu next: “We’re working on the location”

Published

on

Tim Tszyu scored a career-best win over Errol Spence Jr last time out, and now it seems as though the Aussie will take on another tough assignment, with a showdown against a former undisputed world champion supposedly in the works.

Tszyu was knocked out by Sebastian Fundora for a second time in their rematch for the WBC super-welterweight world title last year, but the 31-year-old has responded with a trifecta of wins on home soil and has recently appointed Australian boxing legend, Jeff Fenech, as his lead trainer.

Last month, he handed Spence Jr a final career defeat, with the Texan announcing his retirement during the aftermath, whilst Tszyu looked poised to challenge Erislandy Lara for the WBA middleweight title after unveiling plans to make a permanent switch to the 160lb division.

Advertisement

However, according to Lance Pugmire, former undisputed super-welterweight world champion Jermell Charlo has informed him that his next outing will be against Tszyu.

Charlo has not fought since an underwhelming challenge for Canelo Alvarez’s undisputed super-middleweight crown back in September 2023, but it seems ‘Iron Man’ is now planning on breathing new life into the middleweight scene; which is in desperate need of a new poster boy.

It is still possible that Tszyu could either be using Charlo as leverage for his negotiations with Lara or simply eyeing the American up for a potential first defence, if able to dethrone the 43-year-old Cuban in their rumoured December scrap.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Mets’ Caron Benge makes historic assists against Padres

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

New York Mets rookie outfielder Carson Benge had the Citi Field faithful on their feet early in their Monday night matchup against the San Diego Padres.

The Padres had runners on second and first in the first inning with Ty France at the plate. France lobbed one to right-center field when Benge fielded the ball and saw that Jake Cronenworth was headed home.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Advertisement
Carson Benge fields a ball in right field during the first inning.

New York Mets right fielder Carson Benge fields a ball in right field during the first inning against the San Diego Padres at Citi Field in New York City on Aug. 17, 2026. (IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect)

Benge gathered himself and fired the ball home and was able to get Cronenworth with ease. Benge wasn’t there.

Jackson Merrill also hit a sharp one to Benge. The outfielder gathered his momentum and fired the ball to home plate once again – this time, he got Manny Machado trying to test his arm. Benge was responsible for two of the first three Padres outs.

Statisticians Sarah Langs and Jason Bernard noted the historical nature of Benge’s outfield assists. Benge threw the ball to the plate at 99.9 mph and 103.9 mph on the two outs respectively. He became the first outfielder with two assists of at least 99 mph in the Statcast era (since 2015).

“I just looked up and threw the ball. I’m not worried that they are running or not,” Benge said after the game, via MLB.com. “I try to throw as hard as I can to be able to make them stop or get them out. … I feel like anytime anyone makes a good throw to end an inning or have a quicker out, it shifts the momentum in our favor.”

Advertisement
Jorge Polanco and Carson Benge celebrate after the Mets defeat the Nationals at Citi Field.

New York Mets designated hitter Jorge Polanco celebrates with right fielder Carson Benge after defeating the Washington Nationals at Citi Field on Aug. 16, 2026. (IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect)

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

The Mets also got a defensive assist from rookie left fielder A.J. Ewing. In the second inning, the Padres tested Ewing’s arm. Cronenworth found a hole through the third baseman and the shortstop when Xander Bogaerts tried to scamper home.

However, Ewing was shallow enough in left field and took care of Bogaerts.

The Padres were only able to score one run in the entire game thanks to the Mets’ dazzling defensive plays. New York won the game, 2-1.

Advertisement
A.J. Ewing reacts after being tagged out at second base during a baseball game.

New York Mets’ A.J. Ewing reacts after being tagged out at second base during the third inning of a baseball game against the Washington Nationals, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026, in New York. (AP Photo/Heather Khalifa)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Mets starter Nolan McLean struck out three in six innings of work.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Matt Hardy says pro wrestling success requires living the lifestyle

Published

on

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Matt Hardy has been in pro wrestling for nearly 35 years, and when young talent who are trying to make it in the sport ask for his advice, they’ll usually listen.

Hardy shared the advice he tells others in a recent interview with Fox News Digital. He said those who are trying to make it big have to live the lifestyle of a professional wrestler.

COMPLETE PRO WRESTLING COVERAGE ON FOX NEWS DIGITAL

Advertisement
Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy celebrate during NXT in Cincinnati.

Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy celebrate during “NXT” at Andrew J. Brady Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Feb. 25, 2025. (WWE via Getty Images)

“The main piece of advice I always share with people, if you really want to make a career out of wrestling, you have to make it a lifestyle,” he said. “You have to do something every single day that kind of will help assist your journey and in your whole goal of being a pro wrestler.

“You have to exercise a certain way, try and eat a certain way, try and sleep a certain way, get in the habit of working out, get in the habit of knowing everyone and everything that’s going on at every promotion because you never know where you’ll get an opportunity.”

Pro wrestling promotions, especially the ones featuring former stars from WWE, All Elite Wrestling and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA), sometimes have scouts watching closely. Being able to be on your game is crucial.

Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy sitting in the audience at MetLife Stadium.

Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy sit in the audience during SummerSlam at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Aug. 3, 2025. (Rich Freeda/WWE)

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Advertisement

“And that’s what’s key because timing is everything in pro wrestling,” Hardy explained. “You never know, you might get an opportunity to go somewhere at a promotion you’re not familiar with, and if you don’t know, then maybe they feel disrespected and they’re not as interested in you. But you just need to be as much on the pulse of pro wrestling as you possibly can be and make it a lifestyle.”

The current TNA star also added that buying into your own character is another part that a pro wrestler should focus on.

“And authenticity is real important, too,” he told Fox News Digital. “If you can find something that you’re doing as a character, as a performer, which seems authentic, which seems something that is relatable to you, you feel comfortable doing, that’ll usually come off the best.”

Matt Hardy participates in the U.S. vs. Canada Border Brawl in Niagara Falls Ontario

Matt Hardy participates in the U.S. vs. Canada Border Brawl in Niagara Falls, Ontario, on May 25, 2025. (Robert Okine/Getty Images for Zone-ify)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Hardy, and his brother Jeff, will defend the TNA World Tag Team Championship at Lockdown on Sunday against Nic and Ryan Nemeth. The pay-per-view will take place at the Credit Union 1 Arena in Chicago. Each match will be inside a steel cage.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

“We understand that he’s not in the right condition to play”

Published

on

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has delivered his verdict on the status of Barcelona target Julian Alvarez ahead of their LaLiga opener. The Spanish outfit are set to take on Malaga in their first game of the 2026-27 season on Wednesday evening.

Simeone spoke to reporters ahead of the game, and the name of Julian Alvarez came up as his has been a major saga all summer. The Argentine tactician ruled the striker out of the game against the newly-promoted side, pointing out that he is not in the right condition to feature in the game.

“If the club owner has spoken so categorically, then there’s nothing more to say”.

“It’s like when you go to court, that’s it, there’s nothing more to it. We’re looking after both the person and the player, and we understand that he is not in the right condition to play in this match”, he said.

Julian Alvarez has had interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid this summer, and issued a public plea to Atletico Madrid during the FIFA World Cup, asking for a transfer. Los Colchoneros have refused to let him join their rivals unless his €500 million release clause is met, despite receiving offers worth between €100-150 million.

Advertisement

Barcelona are without a recognised senior striker in their squad and are waiting in the hopes of finding a way to sign the 26-year-old, but that is unlikely to happen. In the meantime, he will likely remain an Atletico Madrid player beyond this summer, despite his unwillingness to stay there.

Alvarez did not play in any of their pre-season games this summer, partly because of his country reaching the FIFA World Cup final. His case may be revisited in the January transfer window, and he could leave Madrid by then.

Former Atletico Madrid star lands in Barcelona to complete transfer

Former Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri has arrived in Barcelona to complete his move from Manchester City. The 30-year-old was spotted at the airport after his arrival as he is set to join Hansi Flick’s squad for the 2026-27 season.

Manchester City and Barcelona were locked in lengthy negotiations for the transfer of the Spain international before an agreement was reached. The Spanish champions will pay an initial €60 million, with add-ons potentially taking the deal to around €76 million.

Advertisement

It has been decided that Rodri will have the number 16 shirt at the Spotify Camp Nou, continuing his tradition from his previous teams. Fermin Lopez, who previously had the number, will now take the number seven shirt vacated by Ferran Torres.