Connect with us

Sports

Maltese Cross wins Great Voltigeur for Haggas & Marquand

Published

on

Maltese Cross (9/4) turned the tables on the Ballydoyle-trained colts in the Group 2 Sky Bet Great Voltigeur at York on Wednesday afternoon.

Trained by William Haggas, Maltese Cross was second to Christmas Day in the Betfred Derby at Epsom in June, on ground that did not suit him.

This afternoon, with underfoot conditions more to his liking, the Sea The Stars colt beat Pierre Bonnard (100/30), third in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby in June, and his conqueror at Epsom, Christmas Day (6/4 favourite), by two lengths and two-and-a-quarter lengths respectively.

Advertisement

The winner, ridden by Tom Marquand, made smooth progress three furlongs from home, and then challenged the race leader, Christmas Day, the mount of Ryan Moore.

Pierre Bonnard was soon pushed to lead at the two-furlong pole by Wayne Lordan, as the race favourite, Christmas Day, began to weaken.

The George Waud-owned Maltese Cross was staying on best of the field inside the final furlong to run out a decisive winner, to add to his Group 1 Cygames Grand Prix de Paris success of last month.

Advertisement


LiveScores Now Available at IrishScores.com

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

1 Vikings Defender Was a Heat-Seeking Missile Versus the Ravens

Published

on

Advertisement

Blake Cashman
Dec 22, 2024; Seattle, Washington, USA; Minnesota Vikings linebacker Blake Cashman (51) reacts to a snap against the Seattle Seahawks during the fourth quarter at Lumen Field. Mandatory Credit: Joe Nicholson-Imagn Images.

Blake Cashman had a nice day at the office. He did so from within the added scrutiny of playing against the Baltimore Ravens in the first of a pair of days of joint practices.

The veteran Vikings defender is coming off a reasonably modest 2025 season. What had been a true breakout in 2024 didn’t get a full encore, partially due to injury. Mr. Cashman was said to come into camp with a minor problem but that was nowhere to be seen today. The linebacker looked like a heat-seeking missile whom Brian Flores had tasked with hunting down the football.

Vikings Defender Blake Cashman Sizzled

Seemingly every time I looked over at the Vikings’ defense, Cashman was creating a ruckus.

Advertisement

The linebacker is an easy mover who is going to be a key part of the mix for Coach Flores. To a certain extent, that’s to be expected given that he’s already been the green-dot ‘backer, the one to corral the play call and then relay it to teammates. That basic responsibility says much; Cashman must be somebody who works hard, understands the game well, and who has earned the trust of his coaches.

Blake Cashman celebrates after a defensive play against the Lions at U.S. Bank Stadium.
Minnesota Vikings linebacker Blake Cashman (51) reacts after a defensive stop during fourth-quarter action against the Detroit Lions on Dec. 25, 2025 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Cashman celebrated as the crowd roared late in the divisional matchup. Mandatory Credit: Matt Krohn-Imagn Images.

But then there’s another part of his game that goes beyond having beefy mental bandwidth (as desirable as that is).

Cashman moves well and is aggressive. He finds a way to be slippery against blockers while still offering rugged physicality. That attribute showed up on a day when he got moved all over the place. Part of what I like about watching Cashman is that sometimes his blitz is clearly aimed at setting up his teammate rather than snagging individual glory. Something to be said for that, folks.

Obviously, playing the Ravens means beginning with a focus on Lamar Jackson. The MVP at QB can then work with RB Derrick Henry, WR Zay Flowers, and TE Mark Andrews (among others) to do damage. Being able to counter at least some of that with Cashman is part of the mix. He could commonly be found in the pocket of the TE or RB.

Advertisement

Some insist that linebacker has been a touch devalued in recent years. Maybe that’s true since the NFL is an aerial league, making corners and edge rushers the main spots for a defense. Cashman, though, is so multiple that he’s part of the mix both as a blitzer and a coverage guy.

NFL: Minnesota Vikings at Dallas Cowboys
Dec 14, 2025; Arlington, Texas, USA; Minnesota Vikings linebacker Blake Cashman (51) and cornerback Isaiah Rodgers (2) tackle Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Ryan Flournoy (19) during the first half at AT&T Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-Imagn Images – Credit: IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

Last year, Blake Cashman got into action for thirteen games. His tackle total — a monstrous 144 — jumps off the stat sheet but a lot of his other numbers were down. He had 2 sacks, 3 QB hits, and 4 tackles for loss. There were a pair of passes defended.

Back in 2024, Cashman obliterated those numbers. His 112 tackles stand alongside 4.5 sacks, 11 QB hits, 8 tackles for loss, and 8 passes defended. Cashman was a monster out there. Getting him back to that level doesn’t mean fully shutting down Detroit’s Jahmyr Gibbs or Chicago’s Colston Loveland. What it does mean, though, is making life difficult for those key skill guys.

The Vikings defender is now working on the final year of the contract he signed back in 2024. Getting him for three years at $22.5 million was terrific work from Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. Will the new GM, Nolan Teasley, opt to extend the linebacker? Cashman’s cap charge is sitting at $9,182,353.

For a little while, I’ve insisted that the Vikings will move on after 2026 due to the presence of Eric Wilson (who also had a good day today). Since Wilson is now working under a three-year agreement, I’ve argued, next year is a natural breaking point to hand the leadership baton off to Wilson while then uplifting Jake Golday.

Advertisement

Maybe that’s going to occur since teams are reluctant to hand over large deals to a pair of old linebackers. Cashman, though, still has some gas in the tank. No time like the present to show that he can play a full seventeen games and do damage while in there.

Vikings linebacker Blake Cashman in 2024
Minnesota Vikings linebacker Blake Cashman (51) runs into the endzone on a play called back during the second quarter of an NFL football matchup Sunday, Nov. 10, 2024 at Everbank Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla. The Vikings defeated the Jaguars 12-7. © Corey Perrine/Florida Times-Union / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images.

Originally from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Blake Cashman turned 30 back in May.


avatar

Senior Editor for Vikings Territory & PurplePTSD . Twitter & Bluesky: @VikingsGazette. Email: k.joudry[at]vikingsterritory[dot]com. Canadian. Jude 1:24-25.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Tiger Woods’ $120,999,166 record is about to fall. But it’s not a fair fight

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

‘Have they brought value to LIV?’ Rory McIlroy questions PGA Tour returnees

Published

on

Rory McIlroy, when asked whether certain LIV Golf players should be allowed back onto the PGA Tour, started his 22-word answer on Wednesday with a question of his own. 

The six-time major winner spoke one day before the Tour’s BMW Championship — and at about the same time as LIV CEO Scott O’Neil addressed the future of his league as it attempts to regroup after the loss of its primary backer, the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund. The exit has led to speculation on whether LIV players would stick with the league after its season-ending event this week, or look into avenues to play on the Tour, the circuit in which most of the pros had once played. 

But McIlroy questioned the point of certain LIV pros returning. 

“I mean, I’d argue, have they brought value to LIV? You know?” he said. 

Advertisement

“I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.”

Later in his press conference, McIlroy was asked whether the Tour would be helped by having a pair of specific LIV pros — two-time major winners Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm — among its players as it looks toward media rights negotiations. In January, they had been offered, along with Brooks Koepka and Cam Smith, a deal to leave LIV and return to the Tour under a number of stipulations, but only Koepka accepted it

“Eventually, yeah, maybe,” McIlroy said in response to the question. “But I don’t think it’s — I mean, look, eventually they will. 

“Look, if they play the golf and they, you know, I’m pretty sure — I’m not part of these discussions, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away. If they were offered this returning member program back in February, the one that Brooks took, then, yeah, maybe. But that has sort of come and gone. And I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. So, yeah, I would say it’s going to be a tough, tough road back.”

Advertisement

McIlroy, who’s been critical of LIV since its start in 2022, was also asked if he took any “personal satisfaction” should LIV end up folding — and he called it “a hard one.” As part of his answer, he noted the loss of jobs, along with Phil Mickelson and the Saudi investment.   

“I think I feel like I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game,” McIlroy said. “So, and whatever 2.0 looks like, if it even happens — you know, they say they’re trying to be more collaborative and all that. But I — this is the best platform for the top professional golfers in the world.

“Yeah, were there some things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better? Sure. But I think that the guys that went, or you look, you think back to the start with, say, Phil was unhappy with some stuff or whatever it was. Like, surely that just warranted a conversation instead of blowing the entire professional game up and doing something else.

“So I don’t take any personal satisfaction of people like losing jobs. Like that doesn’t seem right. I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. And I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour were handed 6 billion dollars it would have done a better job with it.”

Advertisement

The question of whether LIV players should be allowed back was also posed on Wednesday to Scottie Scheffler and Adam Scott, and both were OK with players returning under penalty. 

Said Scheffler: “I think when we talk about the best players, you know, LIV has a few players that are really good. I think the depth that we have on our Tour is a bit unmatched, but I think when you look at the higher levels of LIV Golf, there’s definitely some players that would provide a lot of value to the Tour, and guys that I love competing against as well. So I think going forward there obviously has to be, I think, some sort of penalties.”

Said Scott: “I think it needs to be fair. I mean, it’s a complicated question to answer. The PGA Tour needs to protect its own membership, but I think the PGA Tour also knows that there needs to be pathways, so it will be fair.” 

Advertisement

“>

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Bamba Dieng Set for Lazio Medical Ahead of Free Transfer

Published

on

Lazio are closing in on the signing of Senegalese striker Bamba Dieng on a free transfer, with the player set to undergo his medical on Thursday.

The 26-year-old forward has agreed personal terms with Lazio as the Italian club moves forward with the deal.

Dieng’s medical will be the next step before the transfer can be completed, with Lazio hoping to secure his arrival without paying a transfer fee.

Advertisement

The move comes after Lazio’s proposed deal for Mauro Icardi will not happen, leading the club to turn their attention to Dieng as an attacking option.

Dieng brings experience and attacking quality to Lazio, having established himself as a capable striker during his career in European football.

With the medical scheduled for Thursday, all attention now turns to the final steps before the transfer becomes official.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

“That boy of yours might want a new hero after he sees me beat you”

Published

on

Things between AEW stars Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay got personal tonight on Dynamite. The reigning AEW World Champion and 2026 Owen Hart Cup winner are set to lock horns in the main event of All In at Wembley Stadium. Over the past few weeks, their friendship has been tarnished and turned into fierce animosity.

Both stars have a long history. Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay collided twice in 2023. They met once in NJPW at Wrestle Kingdom 17 and once at Forbidden Door. Both of them have won one match in the contest, making their match at Wembley Stadium more meaningful.

Tonight, on Dynamite, Will Ospreay and Kenny Omega had a sit-down interview with Renee Paquette. Both stars talked about their past and struggles. At the end of the interview, the Cleaner took personal shots at the Aerial Assassin. Kenny Omega said that Ospreay’s son might have to find a new hero after the AEW World Champion defeats him at All In.

The last time it mattered the most Will was 2023. At that time too, you tried to do it on your own, and what happened, Will? You failed. You failed. Except this time, in front of your countrymen, in front of all your friends, all your family, you’re gonna fail again (…) All I’m saying is there is a lot riding on this, not just for you, but for me. And hey, win, lose or draw, I still respect you, Will, and I still think that you are one of the greatest wrestlers that I have ever laid eyes upon. Even if you lose, your mom is gonna be proud of you. What I worry about most, Will, is that boy of yours might want a new hero after he sees me beat you,” he said.

It will be interesting to see what happens at All In when the two stars collide.

Please credit AEW and add an H/T to Sportskeeda Wrestling if you use any quotes from the first half of this article.