Connect with us

Sports

‘Have they brought value to LIV?’ Rory McIlroy questions PGA Tour returnees

Published

on

Rory McIlroy, when asked whether certain LIV Golf players should be allowed back onto the PGA Tour, started his 22-word answer on Wednesday with a question of his own. 

The six-time major winner spoke one day before the Tour’s BMW Championship — and at about the same time as LIV CEO Scott O’Neil addressed the future of his league as it attempts to regroup after the loss of its primary backer, the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund. The exit has led to speculation on whether LIV players would stick with the league after its season-ending event this week, or look into avenues to play on the Tour, the circuit in which most of the pros had once played. 

But McIlroy questioned the point of certain LIV pros returning. 

“I mean, I’d argue, have they brought value to LIV? You know?” he said. 

Advertisement

“I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.”

Later in his press conference, McIlroy was asked whether the Tour would be helped by having a pair of specific LIV pros — two-time major winners Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm — among its players as it looks toward media rights negotiations. In January, they had been offered, along with Brooks Koepka and Cam Smith, a deal to leave LIV and return to the Tour under a number of stipulations, but only Koepka accepted it

“Eventually, yeah, maybe,” McIlroy said in response to the question. “But I don’t think it’s — I mean, look, eventually they will. 

“Look, if they play the golf and they, you know, I’m pretty sure — I’m not part of these discussions, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away. If they were offered this returning member program back in February, the one that Brooks took, then, yeah, maybe. But that has sort of come and gone. And I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. So, yeah, I would say it’s going to be a tough, tough road back.”

Advertisement

McIlroy, who’s been critical of LIV since its start in 2022, was also asked if he took any “personal satisfaction” should LIV end up folding — and he called it “a hard one.” As part of his answer, he noted the loss of jobs, along with Phil Mickelson and the Saudi investment.   

“I think I feel like I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game,” McIlroy said. “So, and whatever 2.0 looks like, if it even happens — you know, they say they’re trying to be more collaborative and all that. But I — this is the best platform for the top professional golfers in the world.

“Yeah, were there some things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better? Sure. But I think that the guys that went, or you look, you think back to the start with, say, Phil was unhappy with some stuff or whatever it was. Like, surely that just warranted a conversation instead of blowing the entire professional game up and doing something else.

“So I don’t take any personal satisfaction of people like losing jobs. Like that doesn’t seem right. I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. And I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour were handed 6 billion dollars it would have done a better job with it.”

Advertisement

The question of whether LIV players should be allowed back was also posed on Wednesday to Scottie Scheffler and Adam Scott, and both were OK with players returning under penalty. 

Said Scheffler: “I think when we talk about the best players, you know, LIV has a few players that are really good. I think the depth that we have on our Tour is a bit unmatched, but I think when you look at the higher levels of LIV Golf, there’s definitely some players that would provide a lot of value to the Tour, and guys that I love competing against as well. So I think going forward there obviously has to be, I think, some sort of penalties.”

Said Scott: “I think it needs to be fair. I mean, it’s a complicated question to answer. The PGA Tour needs to protect its own membership, but I think the PGA Tour also knows that there needs to be pathways, so it will be fair.” 

Advertisement

“>

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

It’s clear Tony Khan does not like him

Published

on

A former AEW champion’s defeat on Dynamite has led to outrage among fans on social media. Former AEW World Trios Champion Jay White has been one of the most beloved stars in the Jacksonville-based promotion. Fans were excited when he returned to All Elite Wrestling a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, he lost to Jon Moxley tonight in the quarterfinals of the Continental Cup Challenge.

The Bang Bang Gang leader hasn’t been able to gain momentum since becoming All Elite. Last year, he was set to have a huge push ahead of the 2025 Owen Hart Foundation tournament. Unfortunately, he injured his hand ahead of the tourney. Due to the injury, he had to sit on the shelf for over a year. He returned to the Jacksonville-based promotion at Forbidden Door and started feuding with David Finlay.

Advertisement

The two stars collided in a singles contest in the first round of the Continental Challenge Cup on last week’s Dynamite. The Switchblade advanced to the quarterfinals after defeating his NJPW arch-nemesis. Tonight, he had a much bigger challenge. He faced the Continental Champion Jon Moxley. The One True King had defeated Jack Perry in a great first-round contest.

Tonight on Dynamite, Jon Moxley and Jay White wrestled a top-notch match. Despite his best efforts, the former AEW World Trios Champion lost the match and is out of the Continental Challenge Cup. Meanwhile, the reigning Continental Champion has advanced to the semifinals.

Fans are upset that the Switchblade was eliminated from the tournament. Many even claimed that he should leave AEW. Several fans commented that he would be successful if he were signed to WWE right now.

Take a look at some of the fan reactions below:

Advertisement

Poor Jay White. #AEWDynamite

JAY WHITE NEEDS TO LEAVE AEW! It’s clear Tony Khan does not like him and will never book him good.

@AIRGold_ Its a waste to not have him in the main event picture. Hopefully that’s where hes heading after All In.

@AIRGold_ @acvillars2000 If there was never a hiring freeze, he would be in the WWE right now having the time of his life

Advertisement

@AIRGold_ It comes with a bulldog choke bangbang 🔫🔫

It is still unclear what Jay White will be doing at All In, which is just a few days away. It remains to be seen if he gets a title shot at Wembley Stadium.