Connect with us

Sports

The world already knows his name: Ronaldinho arrives at 3rd-tier Ravenna | Football News

Published

on


Brazil great Ronaldinho has landed in Ravenna, a city more famous for its nearby beaches than its soccer team.


The lyrics “and the world’s going to know your name” seemed ironically superfluous as one of soccer’s most recognizable figures stepped on stage in front of thousands of fans on Thursday.


That song, “Hall of Fame” by The Script, had been belted out throughout the presentation of third-tier Ravenna’s team for the upcoming season before the team’s new No. 10 walked out.


Thursday was dubbed “Ronaldinho day” as the soccer legend was presented first to the press before a glitzy beachside ceremony in front of around 6,000 fans, waving flags and holding flares aloft – despite the intermittent rain.

Advertisement

 


In a surprise announcement in June, the 46-year-old Ronaldinho signed with Italian third-division club Ravenna more than a decade after retiring.


“I’m very happy to be here with my friends, but let’s wait and see if things go well with the team,” Ronaldinho said Thursday when asked about how he was feeling, before later answering a question as to when Ravenna fans could expect to see him on the field.


“I feel fine,” he said with a laugh, before later adding: “I don’t know, it depends on the president and coach. I don’t know.” 

Advertisement


 
Ronaldinho arrived by private jet at nearby Forli Airport – about 30 kilometers (19 miles) from Ravenna – around midday local time. He signed a couple of soccer balls for airport staff before getting into a car on the runway, skipping the handful of fans that were waiting landside.


He was accompanied by Ravenna President Ignazio Cipriani of the Cipriani restaurant brand.


Ronaldinho will not feature in Ravenna’s first Serie C match of the season on Monday, at Reggio Emilia, and it is still unclear how much he hopes to play during the campaign. However, Cipriani has said it is his dream for the Brazilian to score his last career goal for the team.


“If that happens even better, no?” Ronaldinho said. “I’ve come here because of the friendship we have, and that’s it, let’s wait and see how the team does I’m here to help.” 
Ronaldinho last played professionally for Fluminense in 2015. It marks his second spell in Italy after featuring for AC Milan from 2008-11. He won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 and the Ballon d’Or in 2005.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Jenny Simpson: Olympic medallist stops running after diagnosis with rare heart condition

Published

on

Olympic medallist Jenny Simpson says a “chapter has ended” and she will not return to running after having a cardiac arrest.

The 39-year-old American, a former 1500m world champion, was pacing a mile group at a pop-up event in North Carolina in June when she collapsed.

She required CPR and the use of an automated external defibrillator before being transported to UNC Rex Hospital in Raleigh, where she went into cardiac arrest again.

“My heart was severely injured and stunned. My lungs struggled too,” Simpson said in an Instagram post, external on Thursday.

Advertisement

“I was diagnosed with a rare inherited heart condition called arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC).”

ARVC is a genetic condition in which the proteins that normally hold heart muscle cells together do not work properly.

This can cause heart muscle cells to die and be replaced by fatty tissue and scar tissue.

It causes the walls of the heart chambers to become thin and stretched, and the heart cannot pump blood around the body properly.

Advertisement

“My future is an incredible gift. It’s hopeful, and it will continue to have great purpose,” Simpson said.

“But my diagnosis also means it would be dangerous for me to return to running. That chapter has ended. Thankfully, my story hasn’t.”

Simpson won 1500m gold at the 2011 World Championships and bronze at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, and retired from competitive racing at the end of the 2024 season.

“I’m profoundly grateful that I got to have the career I did,” added Simpson, who also won silver medals in the 1500m at the 2013 and 2017 World Championships.

Advertisement

“I experienced everything – from the trenches of training to standing on the top of the podium while our national anthem filled the stadium.”

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Five things in EFL: Fallen giants and ambitious upstarts

Published

on

Ambition can be many things – the enemy of success or what drives people to new heights – just ask a few of the sides lining up for week two of the English Football League.

West Ham United and Leicester City’s ambitions lay well above the Championship and League One respectively but previous failings mean they are now having to dig themselves out of self-constructed holes.

Advertisement

On the other side of the coin, there are teams like Lincoln City, Bromley and York City who are probably still pinching themselves after last season’s heroics.

Advertisement

The EFL has sub-plots wherever you look and we have selected five things to keep an eye out for this weekend.

Hammers hoping for speedy getaway

Arne Engels in a claret West Ham United home shirt

Arne Engels became the EFL’s record signing when he joined West Ham last week [West Ham United]

Such has been the yo-yo nature of sides relegated from the Premier League in recent seasons, West Ham fans will expect a swift return to the top flight, although their own history suggests sometimes it is never as easy as it sounds.

The last time the Hammers found themselves in the Championship for the 2011-12 campaign, they had to come through the play-offs to earn promotion back to the promised land.

Advertisement

Advertisement

They look like they mean business this time around – smashing the EFL transfer record by spending £22m on Celtic midfielder Arne Engels before taking Leeds striker Joel Piroe on loan – which will only increase the expectation of a promotion-winning season.

Where will the highest attendance be in England on Saturday? Not in the Premier League, but at the Hammers’ London Stadium where a 62,500 sell-out will have the majority demanding a win over Charlton (15:00 BST).

This will be a first league meeting between the two London sides for 19 years and while the Addicks are still feeling their way back into the second tier after consolidation on their return last season, the Hammers know anything less than a win may have some of the natives getting restless, even at this early stage.

Advertisement

Imps out to upset establishment

Lincoln City's players in their playing kit lift the League One championship trophy

Lincoln City won the League One title last season [Shutterstock]

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since Lincoln City last prepared for a home game in what we now call the Championship.

Advertisement

Sixty-six years is a long time to wait for anything, and many Imps fans must have thought they would never see the day when second-tier football returned to Sincil Bank.

Advertisement

With respect, when you are being trounced 4-0 at home by North Ferriby United in the FA Trophy in 2014, facing games on a level footing against the likes of West Ham, Southampton and Wolves are probably not at the forefront of your mind.

Two trips to non-league football since their last Championship outing will have sharpened the minds of any supporter getting ahead of themselves as they prepare to welcome Portsmouth on Saturday (12:30 BST), but without ambition that North Ferriby experience might have been a more regular occurrence.

The Tony Mowbray derby

Tony Mowbray in his playing days with Middlesbrough in a red kit alongside a photo of him managing Blackburn Rovers in a dark blue shirt and trousers

Tony Mowbray started his playing career with Middlesbrough and is in his second spell managing Blackburn [Shutterstock]

Football is littered with great characters and popular one-club men but there cannot be many who can claim to be well liked wherever they go.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Tony Mowbray is surely one of those select few as he prepares to pit his Blackburn Rovers side against Middlesbrough – the club where he made his name as a player before managing them for three years.

The 62-year-old, who has had to overcome bowel cancer, returned to Rovers for a second stint in June having previously led them to promotion from League One in 2017-18.

A 2-2 draw at Wolves last Friday was a more than decent start for Mowbray and for the visit of Boro (15:00 BST), he can expect a warm welcome from all four sides of Ewood Park.

Advertisement

“Everybody’s got us relegated – but that’s very good motivation for the team,” said Mowbray after the draw at Molineux.

Advertisement

Keeping Blackburn away from trouble will only make him even more popular in that part of Lancashire.

Same division – different feelings

Andy Woodman, in a dark blue baseball cap and polo shirt, raises both arms to celebrate winning promotion with Bromley

Andy Woodman has guided Bromley from the National League to League One [Getty Images]

Advertisement

Having just been promoted from the National League South, Bromley finished 14th in the National League in the 2015-16 season.

That same year, Leicester City were upsetting the odds with their famous Premier League title win.

Such has been the rise of Andy Woodman’s Bromley, they can expect plenty more comparisons like that this season and, such has been the Foxes’ fall from grace, they will get similar.

While the Ravens are delighted to be in League One, Leicester are still rubbing the bruised ego which followed their disastrous relegation from the Championship on the back of demotion from the Premier League, amid various financial woes and points deductions.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Now under Russell Martin, rather than opening their home campaign against Arsenal, Liverpool or even Brighton, it is Burton Albion who will make the short trip to the King Power Stadium (15:00 BST) and home fans will find Gary Bowyer’s side have little respect for reputations.

Bromley’s home opener against Cambridge United (15:00 BST) may well be a re-run between two promoted sides from last season, but the hosts have already served notice of their intentions with their 1-0 win at Barnsley last weekend.

Can Millers grind York bandwagon to a halt?

Josh Stones, in a red York City shirt, stabs the ball past Rochdale defenders on the goal-line

York City’s Josh Stones (9) scored a last-second equaliser at Rochdale to win the National League title on the final day of last season [Getty Images]

Advertisement

Rotherham United’s attempts to halt their slide started just three weeks after their descent into League Two with the appointment of former England boss Steve McClaren as their new head of football.

Advertisement

The fact it then took a further six weeks to install a head coach in Alex Bruce has left them playing catch-up in terms of recruitment and readiness for the rough and tumble of fourth-tier football.

The Millers’ opening 2-1 defeat by Cheltenham Town means they have won only two of their past 19 league games so this might not be the best time to be welcoming a buoyant York City to south Yorkshire.

Advertisement

Despite a late change in boss, with Scott Lindsey replacing the title-winning Stuart Maynard barely a week before their first competitive fixture, hopes are high for a second successive promotion for the Minstermen.

Beating highly-fancied Bristol Rovers last weekend has only raised those expectations on the back of a summer of impressive transfer business.

Advertisement

Six years ago, York were facing the likes of Farsley Celtic and Gloucester City in the National League North while Rotherham were in the Championship, beating Middlesbrough and Derby.

Advertisement

In the blink of an eye they are on equal ground and York’s ambitions could well see them overtake Rotherham, who need to stop the rot quickly.

BBC Sport will have live text coverage of all the weekend’s EFL action.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Yankees, optimistic about offensive progress, head home to face Jays

Published

on

Aug 20, 2026; Baltimore, Maryland, USA;  New York Yankees outfielder Spencer Jones (78) celebrates as he rounds the bases after hitting a home run in the sixth inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Mandatory Credit: Jamie Sabau-Imagn ImagesAug 20, 2026; Baltimore, Maryland, USA; New York Yankees outfielder Spencer Jones (78) celebrates as he rounds the bases after hitting a home run in the sixth inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Mandatory Credit: Jamie Sabau-Imagn Images

As Aaron Judge makes incremental progress in his recovery from a fractured right rib, the New York Yankees are on one of their best stretches since losing their captain over two months ago.

The Yankees are riding a four-game winning streak as they return home Friday night for the opener of a three-game series against the surging Toronto Blue Jays.

There is still no timetable for Judge to return, but the three-time MVP started hitting off a tee on Thursday and seems likely to increase his batting progression during New York’s 10-game homestand.

The Yankees, who are 36-32 since Judge last played on May 31, completed a three-game sweep of the host Baltimore Orioles with a 6-1 win on Thursday.

New York is on its fourth four-game winning streak without Judge and is attempting to win five straight for the first time since May 24-29. While the Yankees are batting .202 over the past six games, they are coming off consecutive games with double-digit hits.

Advertisement

“I do feel like we’ve been better for the last week or 10 days, even on some of the days where we haven’t had results,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “I feel like some individuals are in a little bit of a better place. As a team, we’re in a little better place offensively, but we got to keep getting better. There’s more in there for all of us, and we got to keep getting it out.”

New York rookie Spencer Jones homered on Thursday in his second career three-hit game. He is 9-for-30 (.300) over the past eight games. Luis Garcia Jr. also went deep and collected three hits in the finale at Baltimore, his first three-hit game since being acquired from the Washington Nationals on Aug. 2.

Toronto split a four-game series in New York from May 18-21 and has split the 10 meetings with the Yankees this year. After winning two of three close games against the Yankees last weekend in Toronto, the Blue Jays scored 21 runs while taking two of three at Tampa Bay to open this week.

Advertisement

After hitting three homers in a 5-1 win on Thursday, the Blue Jays are 14-7 in their past 21 games. Toronto totaled 38 hits in the three games against the Rays.

Blue Jays rookie Kazuma Okamoto has homered in two of the past three games and has a six-game hitting streak. Alejandro Kirk is batting .405 (15-for-37) during a nine-game hitting streak and is 8-for-16 in five games against the Yankees this season.

“I think we’re coming in the ballpark confident every day, and it feels like it’s showing up more as late,” Toronto right-hander Shane Bieber said.

The Blue Jays will be without Vladimir Guerrero Jr., though, as he is expected to return from the concussion list on Saturday. He hit an RBI double and drew two walks in his first rehab game for Class-A Dunedin on Thursday.

Advertisement

Toronto shortstop Andres Gimenez may also be out after tweaking his right hamstring on Thursday. He won’t need an MRI, according to manager John Schneider, so the injury isn’t believed to be serious.

Cam Schlittler (10-6, 2.19 ERA), who is winless with a 2.90 ERA in his past four starts, will start the series opener for New York. Schlittler allowed just one run in each of his past two starts.

The right-hander is 0-2 with a 3.60 ERA in five regular-season starts against the Blue Jays. Schlittler held Toronto to four hits over 5 1/3 innings in a no-decision on Saturday.

The Blue Jays are expected to use a bullpen game on Friday before Dylan Cease and Jose Soriano start the following two contests. One of the pitchers who might appear in the Friday game is Spencer Arrighetti, who has not pitched for Toronto since being acquired from the Houston Astros in exchange for Daulton Varsho at the trade deadline.

Advertisement

Arrighetti has been on the injured list due to a nerve issue in his right foot.

–Field Level Media

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Former UFC heavyweight title challenger re-signs with the promotion under new contract

Published

on

One of the UFC’s heavyweight mainstays and a former interim title challenger is set to re-sign with the promotion on an extended deal, but the fans are divided over the move.

In a recent post on X, combat sports journalist James Lynch revealed that Curtis Blaydes is set to re-sign with the world’s premier MMA organization on an eight-fight deal.

According to Lynch, the new contract will begin with a September 12 clash against heavyweight knockout threat Waldo Cortes-Acosta at Noche UFC.

Check out James Lynch’s announcement about Curtis Blaydes below:

Advertisement

Get the latest updates on One Championship Rankings at Sportskeeda and more

The 35-year-old fighter from Naperville, Illinois, has been a fixture in the UFC heavyweight rankings for years. ‘Razor’ has notable wins over the likes of Alexander Volkov, Jailton Almeida, Jairzinho Rozenstruik, and Alistair Overeem, among others.

Advertisement

Blaydes also challenged for the interim heavyweight title at UFC 304, losing to Tom Aspinall. He is 2-3 in his last five fights, most recently suffering a unanimous decision loss to Josh Hokit at UFC 327.

Blaydes is one of the best wrestlers in the 265-pound division and boasts an impressive collegiate record, highlighted by a gold medal-winning performance at the NJCAA Championships as a redshirt sophomore at Harper College.

His upcoming opponent, Cortes-Acosta, currently sits at No.7 in the UFC heavyweight rankings. He is 3-2 in his last five fights, most recently suffering a unanimous decision loss to Volkov at UFC 328. Known for his heavy hands, Cortes-Acosta was riding a three-fight knockout streak before his most recent loss.


When Dana White was impressed by Josh Hokit and Curtis Blaydes’ UFC 327 showings

Curtis Blaydes and Josh Hokit delivered a banger at UFC 327, racking up a combined 351 significant strikes in three rounds. While Blaydes came up short, the bout helped solidify Hokit as a legitimate heavyweight contender.

Advertisement

Despite the loss, Blaydes’ showing may have played a role in his new contract with the UFC. During the post-fight press conference at UFC 327, White praised Hokit while also lauding both fighters for their impressive performances, saying:

“Nothing but respect for both of those men tonight. That fight was unbelievable, and you won’t hear a word out of me about [Hokit] from here on out. He walked the talk. It’s one thing to have a shtick and act, whatever, and it’s another thing to go in a fight against the No.5 guy in the world, who’s a bad dude, and do what he did tonight.”