Connect with us

Sports

President Donald Trump calls Scott Jamieson after Scot ends 14-year wait for second title

Published

on

Nexo Championship, Trump International Golf Links

-11 S Jamieson (Sco); -9 M Jordan (Eng); -7 A Sullivan (Eng); -6 Q Vidal (Spa), M Kinhult (Swe), K Nakajima (Japan)

Full leaderboard

Earning a first DP World Tour win in 14 years – and effectively saving his job by doing so – would be enough to disturb the composure of most golfers.

Advertisement

But as Scott Jamieson tried to come to terms with ending his drought at the Nexo Championship in Aberdeenshire, the 42-year-old Scot found himself speaking to President Donald Trump on a video call.

It has become tradition that the United States president contacts the winner at Trump International Golf Links in the immediate aftermath of their success.

And Glaswegian Jamieson was the bewildered recipient of the call this time, following compatriot Grant Forrest last year.

“He was very complimentary and it sounds like he was actually watching it,” Jamieson told BBC Sport Scotland. “He said he was following along, so it was really cool… I mean he is the President of the United States.”

Advertisement

That Jamieson kept his shape over a tense final few holes is testment to his resolve. The Scot posted a final round 67 to come from three shots back and beat England’s overnight leader Matthew Jordan by a couple of strokes.

He finished on 11 under par, for just his second DP World Tour triumph, with his last success coming in 2012 at the Nelson Mandela Championship.

And given he looked at significant risk of losing his card, it has given Jamieson the security of knowing his playing rights are secure for next season at least.

“I didn’t realise it had been 14 years,” he conceded. “I practice every day and explore different ways to get better and sometimes it is like you are just banging your head against a wall. So the odd win here and there makes it all worthwhile.

Advertisement

“There have been times where I ‘ve thought ‘I might be losing my job here’ so thankfully I don’t need to worry about that for over the next few weeks.

“And hopefully this may open up some doors to kick on and try and push up the ladder.”

Defending champion Forrest endured a tough Sunday, with a score of 80 taking him to a 10 over total.

But fellow Scots Euan Walker and Connor Syme were among those in a share of 10th place on four under.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

NFL analyst puts Deshaun Watson on blast for claiming home fans booing QB was “personal”

Published

on

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson is competing with Shedeur Sanders for the starting role. Watson, who has not played in the NFL since his Achilles tear in 2024, was booed by fans during the preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

Watson went 5-for-12 for 36 passing yards and one interception and was booed by fans as he exited the home preseason game. Following the game, the veteran quarterback said the reaction from fans was “personal.”

“I think the whole world knows it has nothing to do with the performance,” Watson said. “It’s a little bit more personal than that. So, I think it’s a disrespectful thing.”

NFL commentator Joe reacted to Watson’s comments after he was booed by the Browns fans.

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Advertisement

“Yeah, dude. You’re widely believed to be a s*x criminal, you are the highest paid QB ever, the Browns replaced a star QB with you, and you’ve been objectively abysmal ever since leaving Houston. I’d be kind of worried if they didn’t hate you.”

Yeah, dude. You’re widely believed to be a s*x criminal, you are the highest paid QB ever, the Browns replaced a star QB with you, and you have been objectively abysmal ever since leaving Houston. I’d be kind of worried if they didn’t hate you.

Watson, who signed a blockbuster five-year, $230 million deal with the Browns in 2022 after a trade from the Houston Texans, has managed just 19 games with a 9-10 record, 3,365 yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions over four seasons.

Apart from his injury struggles, Watson’s off-field controversy has also sparked criticism. He faced 27 civil lawsuits accusing him of se*ual misconduct and assault during massage therapy sessions.

Although he settled the lawsuits and wasn’t convicted, he was suspended for 11 games and was handed a $5 million fine by the NFL in 2022 in the wake of the allegations.

Advertisement

Also Read: “Such a loser,” “Lack of awareness is crazy”: NFL fans rip Deshaun Watson for “playing victim card” & calling out Browns fanbase for booing him

Also Read: “It’s a disrespectful thing”: Deshaun Watson rips Browns fans for booing him with “personal” vendetta

Shedeur Sanders didn’t “appreciate” boos from Browns fans for Deshaun Watson

Deshaun Watson, who hopes to reclaim his spot on the Browns lineup, faces competition from second-year quarterback Shedeur Sanders for the starting role.

Despite the competition, Sanders didn’t “appreciate” the reaction from fans during the Bills game.

Advertisement

“Yeah, I mean, in general, I don’t appreciate that at all,” Sanders said. “Regardless of competition, we’re all human beings. I think we all need to understand that. In this room too, we’re all humans. I don’t do things to humans that I wouldn’t want done to me.

“For all the fans, we appreciate you showing up, and however you feel about the situation with Deshaun and everything, I think it’s more about a bigger purpose and it’s respect. We’re going out there to win games, doing everything we can. So I don’t really appreciate that.”

It will be interesting to see the reaction from Browns fans if Watson is named the starting quarterback over Sanders for the 2026 season after Saturday’s fallout.