Connect with us

Sports

PH swimmers bag 2 bronzes on SEA Open Water finale

Published

on

Swimmers in action during the 4th Southeast Asia Open Water Championships in Boracay.Swimmers in action during the 4th Southeast Asia Open Water Championships in Boracay.

Swimmers in action during the 4th Southeast Asia Open Water Championships in Boracay. – PAI/Pet Salvador via PSC

MANILA, Philippines–Jie Angela Mikaela Talosig surprised herself with a bronze medal in her international debut at the 4th Southeast Asia Open Water Championships on Sunday at Boracay Newcoast.

The 20-year-old La Salle varsity swimmer clocked 1 hour, 18 minutes and 57 seconds to finish third in the women’s 20-and-above division.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Vietnam sweeps mixed relays in SEA Open Water meet

Advertisement

Indonesia’s Nadya Sirasawati won gold in 1:07.23, while Thailand’s Musikul Hirunhas took silver in 1:09.15.

“Honestly, I just wanted to experience competing at the international level, so to win a bronze medal for my efforts, and in front of a hometown crowd at that, is a pleasant surprise,” Talosig said.

“This is a truly nice feeling,” added Talosig, who won a gold in the women’s 800-meter freestyle and two bronzes in the last UAAP Season 88 swimming meet.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

Julia Jewels Pobleto also won bronze in the girls’ 12-13 3K event after clocking 50:40.

READ: Palaro standout Anton Della wins silver in SEA Open Water meet

Thailand’s Kanchana Konsub won gold in 47:16, while compatriot Aliyah Sawangmun took silver in 49:48.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

Alfonso Joaquin de Mesa narrowly missed the podium after finishing fourth in the boys’ 14-15 division in 1:04.57.

Thailand’s Kantapong Polyiem took bronze in 1:02.55, while Vietnam’s Vin Thai Bao Nguyen won gold in 57:44 and Thailand’s Sakdichot Talawong settled for silver in 59:42.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

The three-day championships were organized by the Philippine Sports Commission and Philippine Aquatics Inc. and sanctioned by the Southeast Asian Swimming Federation.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

PSG heavily favoured to win sixth successive Ligue 1 title

Published

on

Paris Saint-Germain are the overwhelming favourites to continue their dominance of Ligue 1, although there are no shortage of hopefuls seeking to dethrone them.

PSG, who have also won the last two editions of the Champions League, have ​been boosted by ‌new arrivals this season including Spain‘s Ferran Torres, the scorer of the only ⁠goal in last month’s World Cup final.

Watch moreChampions League: PSG make history with victory over Arsenal

“Ferran is an international-level player,” coach Luis Enrique said. “He fits perfectly with what we’re looking for. He can ‌play anywhere in attack, with a great mentality.”

Advertisement

PSG have also bought Maghnes Akliouche and Lucas ⁠Digne, both in France’s squad at the World Cup, as well as Belgian Mika Godts, signed this week from Ajax Amsterdam.

Unfit for play

The French ⁠champions have been forced to move ​their Ligue 1 opener against Stade Rennais on Sunday after scorching summer heat left their ​Parc ‌des Princes pitch unsafe, ⁠the club said.

PSG alerted France’s professional football league (LFP) on ‌Monday to the poor condition of ⁠the playing surface. A specialist team inspected the pitch and ruled it ​unfit for play, the LFP ‌said.

The match will instead be played at Rennes’ Roazhon Park.

Advertisement

Read moreIn pictures: Paris hosts PSG victory parade after back-to-back Champions League titles

The extreme heat prevented the ‌grass, which PSG grows from seed rather than installing ​as rolled turf, from developing properly, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters. ​The stadium’s concrete structure intensified the conditions, ​the person added.

The club’s Qatari-backed resources have ensured they are able to attract ​a steady stream of talent as they set off in search of a ‌15th French championship and sixth in a row.

However, a rare defeat in last weekend’s Trophée des Champions against Racing Lens allows the chasing pack to dream of toppling them.

Advertisement

Lens finished six points adrift of PSG last season in second ‌spot, and won the French Cup. And while they have lost coach Pierre Sage to Crystal Palace, German Dino Toppmöller made a winning start ​in the season-opening super cup encounter.

Modest hopes

Lille, whose third-place finish last season means they qualify directly for the group phase of the Champions League, have a new coach in 36-year-old Davide Ancelotti.

Former Brazil ​international Filipe Luis has taken over at Monaco, who had a disappointing campaign by finishing seventh and ​have offloaded injury-plagued Paul Pogba, who had little impact last season.

Olympique de ​Marseille were runners-up twice to PSG over the last five campaigns, but with Bruno Genesio arriving from Lille to take the helm they look to be ​starting a rebuild that will take more than one season for them to be genuine contenders.

Advertisement

Marseille, who open the league campaign at home to Racing Strasbourg on Friday, were last champions in 2010.

Troyes and Le Mans are the two newly ⁠promoted sides, replacing Nantes ​and Metz, while Nice managed to keep their top-flight status by beating Saint-Étienne over two legs in the promotion-relegation playoff at the end of May.

(FRANCE 24 with Reuters)

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

D’Tigress Suffer Heavy Defeat to Belgium in World Cup Warm-Up

Published

on

Nigeria’s D’Tigress suffered a heavy 90-55 defeat to Belgium in their latest World Cup warm-up game, SportsRation Reports.

D’Tigress struggled after the half-time break as Belgium raised their game and pulled away to secure a convincing victory.

The Nigerian team will now look to bounce back in their remaining warm-up matches against Mali and Puerto Rico as preparations for the World Cup continue.

  • NPFL Referees to Use Communication Gadgets Next SeasonNPFL Referees to Use Communication Gadgets Next Season

Advertisement

The games will give D’Tigress another chance to improve their performance and build confidence ahead of the tournament.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NFL analyst puts Deshaun Watson on blast for claiming home fans booing QB was “personal”

Published

on

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson is competing with Shedeur Sanders for the starting role. Watson, who has not played in the NFL since his Achilles tear in 2024, was booed by fans during the preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

Watson went 5-for-12 for 36 passing yards and one interception and was booed by fans as he exited the home preseason game. Following the game, the veteran quarterback said the reaction from fans was “personal.”

“I think the whole world knows it has nothing to do with the performance,” Watson said. “It’s a little bit more personal than that. So, I think it’s a disrespectful thing.”

NFL commentator Joe reacted to Watson’s comments after he was booed by the Browns fans.

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Advertisement

“Yeah, dude. You’re widely believed to be a s*x criminal, you are the highest paid QB ever, the Browns replaced a star QB with you, and you’ve been objectively abysmal ever since leaving Houston. I’d be kind of worried if they didn’t hate you.”

Yeah, dude. You’re widely believed to be a s*x criminal, you are the highest paid QB ever, the Browns replaced a star QB with you, and you have been objectively abysmal ever since leaving Houston. I’d be kind of worried if they didn’t hate you.

Watson, who signed a blockbuster five-year, $230 million deal with the Browns in 2022 after a trade from the Houston Texans, has managed just 19 games with a 9-10 record, 3,365 yards, 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions over four seasons.

Apart from his injury struggles, Watson’s off-field controversy has also sparked criticism. He faced 27 civil lawsuits accusing him of se*ual misconduct and assault during massage therapy sessions.

Although he settled the lawsuits and wasn’t convicted, he was suspended for 11 games and was handed a $5 million fine by the NFL in 2022 in the wake of the allegations.

Advertisement

Also Read: “Such a loser,” “Lack of awareness is crazy”: NFL fans rip Deshaun Watson for “playing victim card” & calling out Browns fanbase for booing him

Also Read: “It’s a disrespectful thing”: Deshaun Watson rips Browns fans for booing him with “personal” vendetta

Shedeur Sanders didn’t “appreciate” boos from Browns fans for Deshaun Watson

Deshaun Watson, who hopes to reclaim his spot on the Browns lineup, faces competition from second-year quarterback Shedeur Sanders for the starting role.

Despite the competition, Sanders didn’t “appreciate” the reaction from fans during the Bills game.

Advertisement

“Yeah, I mean, in general, I don’t appreciate that at all,” Sanders said. “Regardless of competition, we’re all human beings. I think we all need to understand that. In this room too, we’re all humans. I don’t do things to humans that I wouldn’t want done to me.

“For all the fans, we appreciate you showing up, and however you feel about the situation with Deshaun and everything, I think it’s more about a bigger purpose and it’s respect. We’re going out there to win games, doing everything we can. So I don’t really appreciate that.”

It will be interesting to see the reaction from Browns fans if Watson is named the starting quarterback over Sanders for the 2026 season after Saturday’s fallout.