Connect with us

Sports

13-Year-Old Hephzibah Okon Stuns Older Athletes to Win 800m Gold at 2nd Niger Delta Games

Published

on

Thirteen-year-old Hephzibah Gabriel Okon produced a remarkable performance at the 2nd Niger Delta Games, clinching gold in the Women’s 800m final at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium. Her victory over older, more experienced athletes has captured the attention of sports fans and added a major boost to Team Akwa Ibom’s medal tally.

The Games, organised by Dunamis Icon and sponsored by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), were officially declared open on Friday, February 20, and will run until February 26 in Benin City.

Hephzibah clocked an impressive 2 minutes 18 seconds, demonstrating composure, speed, and maturity beyond her age. Speaking after her victory, she said, “I am really happy to win this gold for Team Akwa Ibom. The support from our State Government, led by our amazing, sports-loving Governor, Pastor Umo Eno, Honourable Commissioner and sports administrators keeps us motivated to give our best every day. This is just the beginning—I’m aiming even higher for Nigeria at senior competitions.”

Advertisement

Thirteen-year-old Hephzibah Gabriel Okon produced a remarkable performance at the 2nd Niger Delta Games, clinching gold in the Women’s 800m final at the Samuel Ogbemudia StadiumThirteen-year-old Hephzibah Gabriel Okon produced a remarkable performance at the 2nd Niger Delta Games, clinching gold in the Women’s 800m final at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium

The young athlete, who specialises in the 800m and 1500m events, has credited her family for nurturing her talent. She began training alongside her brother at a young age, while her father, who also serves as her coach, has been instrumental in developing her discipline and technique.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PIF fuels LIV Golf with $267M capital despite multiple losses

Published

on

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has approved another major cash injection into LIV Golf, committing about $266.6 million to the league.

The approval was signed by PIF governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan on February 1, 2026, according to Money In Sport. The latest funding pushes the fund’s total investment in LIV Golf to roughly $5.3 billion, and at the current pace it could exceed $6 billion by the end of 2026.

LIV Golf’s spending has remained high. Instead of receiving one big payment each year, the league has been funded through regular cash injections, averaging about $100 million a month during 2024 and 2025.

Advertisement

Prize money has also gone up for the 2026 season. According to Money In Sport, the overall prize fund for 2026 has risen by about $65 million. Total purses now sit at $32.3 million per event, up from $25 million previously. Individual prize money remains at $20 million per tournament, but the team component has grown significantly.

The PIF has approved $267M in fresh capital for LIV Golf, per Money in Sport

The team prize fund has doubled to $10 million per event and is now shared across all 13 teams. In addition, a new $2.3 million “individual prize via team” pool has been introduced. Captains of the top three teams can award bonuses from this fund with $1 million for first place, $800,000 for second and $500,000 for third.

Some of the increased prize money could be balanced by recent player exits. Brooks Koepka has already returned to the PGA Tour while Patrick Reed is expected to rejoin once his suspension ends in August.

Advertisement

At the same time LIV Golf appears to be cutting back on event costs. Money In Sport reported that spending on tournament staging is being reduced.

Performance 54 Group, the UK company that organizes LIV events, said in financial results for the year ending April 30, 2025 that it handled slightly more events but with smaller budgets overall which led to a slight drop in revenue. The company also said its contracts have been renewed in all markets for several more years.


LIV Golf explores selling stakes in teams to new investors

LIV Golf is preparing to open its team model to outside investors, with plans to sell minority stakes in some of its franchises for the first time. Reports suggest the Saudi-backed circuit is aiming for valuations of up to $300 million and could look to sell shares in two teams later this year.

Citigroup has reportedly been hired to handle the process. While the teams involved have not been named, one scenario being discussed includes the possibility of a controlling stake being sold rather than just a small share. LIV Golf and Citigroup have not commented publicly.

Advertisement

League officials have made it clear they see long-term value in the team structure. Executives said earlier this year that the goal is for each of the 13 franchises to eventually be worth about $1 billion. The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia remains the primary owner of LIV Golf, while team captains hold roughly 25 percent ownership in their respective sides.

Off the course, LIV continues to focus on building commercial revenue streams around the teams. Katie O’Reilly, LIV Golf’s executive vice president of business operations, said,

“Right now we are focused on things like driving sponsorship revenue – additionally we are building new businesses under the teams and we are leveraging and using our NIL rights.”

The league also expects strong income from major partners. Chief executive Scott O’Neil said last year that deals with companies such as Saudi Arabian Oil Co., HSBC, MGM Resorts and Salesforce could generate more than $500 million in revenue.

Franchise value is closely tied to star players and broadcast exposure. Big names such as Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson and Jon Rahm headline several teams while media agreements with DAZN, TNT Sports and FOX Sports help expand the league’s global reach.

Advertisement