Connect with us

Sports

Stretan Ruler eyes 2026 Golden Slipper with Silver Slipper demolition

Published

on

At Rosehill Gardens, Pakenham’s Phillip Stokes confessed to momentary confusion, but his star colt Stretan Ruler cut straight through for a resounding conquest of the Group 2 $300,000 Silver Slipper (1100m) held on Saturday.

The impressive Stretan Ruler turned heads by dashing the 1100m track in a brisk 1:03.64s, prevailing by 3-1/2 lengths against elite Sydney two-year-olds.

“I couldn’t remember the last time I had been at Rosehill, I got a bit lost but I know where I am now,” Stokes said.

“I’ve never had a Golden Slipper starter before, never been close, so this is a great thrill. He’s a very exciting colt going forward.”

Advertisement

Chad Schofield aboard the $5.50 shot Stretan Ruler was untouchable, dominating Eviction Notice ($31) as Hidrix ($3.60 fav) trailed a long head back for third.

Stokes had the colt in the mix for Saturday’s Group 1 $2 million Blue Diamond at Caulfield, yet barrier 19 led to withdrawal in favour of the Silver Slipper.

This result secures Stretan Ruler’s slot in the Group 1 $5 million Golden Slipper (1200m) at Rosehill Gardens on March 21.

Remarkably, TAB Fixed Odds listed Stretan Ruler at $101 for the Golden Slipper on Saturday morning, shrinking to $11 second favourite after the victory.

Advertisement

Stokes plans a single further preparation for his charge before the Golden Slipper.

“We will go two weeks to the Todman Stakes, that seems to be the race that sets up well (for the Golden Slipper),” Stokes said.

“I thought he was nearly there today. I just think the trip away now, he will take a lot of benefit from this, first time going Sydney way, too.

“I obviously thought enough of him to have him in the Blue Diamond but we scratched because of the barrier (19). He’s a very nice horse.”

Advertisement

Schofield lauded the colt Stretan Ruler for his “great attitude, very genuine and just oozes quality.”

“He’s got a very good turn of foot,” Schofield said.

“The blinkers obviously sharpened him right up, he travelled well on a hot speed, and then accelerated sharply off that and was very strong through the line. He couldn’t have been any more impressive.”

Stretan Ruler stands ready to claim the ninth Silver Slipper-Golden Slipper double, like Farnan (2020), She Will Reign (2017), Mossfun (2014), Pierro (2012), Luskin Star (1977), Baguette (1970) and Eskimo Prince (1964).

Advertisement

Discover top racing betting markets for the upcoming Golden Slipper.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Five players expected to miss Everton vs Man Utd after Michael Carrick gives injury update

Published

on

Manchester United will face Everton in the Premier League in the Monday Night Football with both clubs having players on the sidelines

Both Manchester United and Everton are expected to have players on the sidelines for their Premier League clash on Monday evening. The Reds will travel to Merseyside to take on the Toffees in their return to top-flight action after nearly two weeks without a game.

United were not in FA Cup action last weekend, and have been preparing to face Everton since their 1-1 draw with West Ham on February 10.

Advertisement

Michael Carrick provided an update on the United squad when he spoke to the media last week, which included the latest on the players who are sidelined with injuries.

Patrick Dorgu, Matthijs de Ligt and Mason Mount all missed United’s draw with West Ham earlier this month, and neither are expected to make a return to the Reds’ clash against Everton on Monday night.

READ MORE: Scott McTominay responds to Man United transfer return questionREAD MORE: Jose Mourinho’s private text to Ruben Amorim speaks volumes after his sacking

De Ligt has been sidelined with a back injury since November, while Mount has missed United’s last three matches with a knock and that absence is expected to continue for the trip to Hill Dickinson Stadium in the Monday Night Football.

Advertisement

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE! Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page

“Mason [Mount] is getting closer, we have to be patient with him.” Carrick said on Friday. “We don’t want to rush anything, he is getting closer.

Carrick added: “De Ligt is working towards it, he is a little bit behind Mason [Mount].”

Dorgu has been unavailable since the end of January with a hamstring injury and is still expected to be several weeks away from returning to the matchday squad for United.

Advertisement

Everton will also have some players on the sidelines when United travels to Merseyside. Jack Grealish is expected to miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on a foot injury earlier this month.

Defender Jake O’Brien will also be unavailable for Everton, as he serves a one-game ban for a red card he picked up in the Toffees’ defeat to Bournemouth earlier this month.

Seamus Coleman has not featured for Everton since United’s defeat to the Merseyside club at Old Trafford in November, but Toffees boss David Moyes has confirmed the defender is expected to make a return for this evening’s fixture.

“Seamus [Coleman] is fit and available as well [at right-back], so we’ve got people we can choose and we’ll move on from [O’Brien’s red card],” Moyes told reporters on Friday. “He got sent off and these things happen.

Advertisement

“We’ve got everybody fit, bar Jack Grealish.”

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings.

—–

Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Advertisement

Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.

And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Why this major winner is trying regular flex, graphite iron shafts

Published

on

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NFL Players from Davis H.S. (Kaysville, UT)

Published

on




NFL Players from Davis H.S. (Kaysville, UT) | SuperWest Sports





















Advertisement





Advertisement












Advertisement














Advertisement




Advertisement

Here’s an up-to-date list of all NFL Players from Davis High School, Kaysville, Utah.

The list includes only those players who have played in an NFL game.

See where it ranks among other schools in the state here.

NFL Players from Davis HS
Advertisement



Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

PIF fuels LIV Golf with $267M capital despite multiple losses

Published

on

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has approved another major cash injection into LIV Golf, committing about $266.6 million to the league.

The approval was signed by PIF governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan on February 1, 2026, according to Money In Sport. The latest funding pushes the fund’s total investment in LIV Golf to roughly $5.3 billion, and at the current pace it could exceed $6 billion by the end of 2026.

LIV Golf’s spending has remained high. Instead of receiving one big payment each year, the league has been funded through regular cash injections, averaging about $100 million a month during 2024 and 2025.

Advertisement

Prize money has also gone up for the 2026 season. According to Money In Sport, the overall prize fund for 2026 has risen by about $65 million. Total purses now sit at $32.3 million per event, up from $25 million previously. Individual prize money remains at $20 million per tournament, but the team component has grown significantly.

The PIF has approved $267M in fresh capital for LIV Golf, per Money in Sport

The team prize fund has doubled to $10 million per event and is now shared across all 13 teams. In addition, a new $2.3 million “individual prize via team” pool has been introduced. Captains of the top three teams can award bonuses from this fund with $1 million for first place, $800,000 for second and $500,000 for third.

Some of the increased prize money could be balanced by recent player exits. Brooks Koepka has already returned to the PGA Tour while Patrick Reed is expected to rejoin once his suspension ends in August.

Advertisement

At the same time LIV Golf appears to be cutting back on event costs. Money In Sport reported that spending on tournament staging is being reduced.

Performance 54 Group, the UK company that organizes LIV events, said in financial results for the year ending April 30, 2025 that it handled slightly more events but with smaller budgets overall which led to a slight drop in revenue. The company also said its contracts have been renewed in all markets for several more years.


LIV Golf explores selling stakes in teams to new investors

LIV Golf is preparing to open its team model to outside investors, with plans to sell minority stakes in some of its franchises for the first time. Reports suggest the Saudi-backed circuit is aiming for valuations of up to $300 million and could look to sell shares in two teams later this year.

Citigroup has reportedly been hired to handle the process. While the teams involved have not been named, one scenario being discussed includes the possibility of a controlling stake being sold rather than just a small share. LIV Golf and Citigroup have not commented publicly.

Advertisement

League officials have made it clear they see long-term value in the team structure. Executives said earlier this year that the goal is for each of the 13 franchises to eventually be worth about $1 billion. The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia remains the primary owner of LIV Golf, while team captains hold roughly 25 percent ownership in their respective sides.

Off the course, LIV continues to focus on building commercial revenue streams around the teams. Katie O’Reilly, LIV Golf’s executive vice president of business operations, said,

“Right now we are focused on things like driving sponsorship revenue – additionally we are building new businesses under the teams and we are leveraging and using our NIL rights.”

The league also expects strong income from major partners. Chief executive Scott O’Neil said last year that deals with companies such as Saudi Arabian Oil Co., HSBC, MGM Resorts and Salesforce could generate more than $500 million in revenue.

Franchise value is closely tied to star players and broadcast exposure. Big names such as Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson and Jon Rahm headline several teams while media agreements with DAZN, TNT Sports and FOX Sports help expand the league’s global reach.

Advertisement