Connect with us

Business

Meta trial begins as states allege Facebook, Instagram addicted kids

Published

on

Meta trial begins as states allege Facebook, Instagram addicted kids

Meta faced accusations of targeting children for addictions to Facebook and Instagram in federal court on Tuesday.

Deputy California Attorney General Meghan O’Neill launched her case against Meta in a trial that could reshape how Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms operate.

Advertisement

O’Neill told the jury that Meta’s business model was all about trying to “hook the users, hold them for as long as they can, harvest their data and then hide the truth from the public.”

She said children were particularly susceptible to Meta’s algorithms and that Meta was aware of and sought to exploit that fact, pointing to an internal report at Meta, “The Young Ones are the Best Ones.”

WE GREW UP BEFORE SCREENS TOOK OVER. OUR KIDS DESERVE THAT CHANCE TOO

The Meta logo is displayed on a smartphone screen

Meta unveiled a new campaign promoting an optimistic vision for artificial intelligence, saying the technology should help people build, connect and create. (Samuel Boivin/NurPhoto via Getty Images / Getty Images)

California, Colorado, Kentucky and New Jersey are leading a bipartisan group of 29 states suing Meta.

Advertisement

The states argue that Meta’s addictive platforms resulted in such harms as anxiety, ​depression and even suicide, and misled consumers about the platforms’ safety.

“Meta needed kids, and it needed to reassure the people who cared about those kids that the kids are safe,” O’Neill ​said.

WHEN IS A MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS TOO SEVERE FOR TELEHEALTH? WARNING SIGNS FAMILIES SHOULDN’T IGNORE

Meta ​co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Instagram chief Adam Mosseri are expected to testify in the weekslong trial.

Advertisement
Mark Zuckerberg and others

Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Meta Platforms Inc., center, arrives for the 60th presidential inauguration in the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., Jan. 20, 2025. (Shawn Thew/EPA/Bloomberg via Getty Images / Getty Images)

Meta faces steep financial penalties depending on the outcome of the trial, with attorneys general stating last week that it could cost the company around $200 billion.

Representatives for Meta have denied wrongdoing and pointed to measures they put in place to protect teens and keep younger children off of their platforms.

facebook logo

Silhouettes of mobile users next to a screen projection of Facebook logo in this illustration taken March 28, 2018. (Reuters/Dado Ruvic/File Photo  / Reuters)

GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE

“The AGs offer ​no proof anyone in their states was misled, ​claim benign features like having an ⁠additional Instagram account somehow harmed their residents, and attempt to penalize Meta for industry-wide challenges like age verification,” a Meta spokesperson said before the trial this week. 

Advertisement

“Rather than sticking to the facts or the law, the states have instead decided to chase an outlandish payout.”

Reuters contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Business

Record Highs and Low Volatility: Is Wall Street Too Complacent Ahead of Midterm Elections?

Published

on

Record Highs and Low Volatility: Is Wall Street Too Complacent Ahead of Midterm Elections?

U.S. stocks could be heading toward a tricky patch over the next two months, with midterm elections in focus, longer-dated Treasury bond yields trading at multiyear highs, and volatility readings suppressed.

Continue Reading

Business

Evolution Petroleum stock falls on dilutive share offering

Published

on


Evolution Petroleum stock falls on dilutive share offering

Continue Reading

Business

Anthropic pre-IPO credit facility set to climb past $10 billion

Published

on

Anthropic pre-IPO credit facility set to climb past $10 billion
Anthropic PBC’s revolving credit facility is set to rise above its roughly $10 billion target, according to people familiar with the matter, as the artificial intelligence firm prepares for a highly anticipated initial public offering.

The Claude chatbot maker’s proposed expansion of its so-called revolver is drawing a clutch of banks seeking to bolster their pitch for roles on the IPO, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information isn’t public.

Discussions are ongoing and the company could decide to limit the size of the revolver to the target or even below, the people said.

Anthropic has asked the most active banks leading the credit line to lend about $1.25 billion, with the next level of active banks being encouraged to offer around $1 billion, and with the commitments dropping to roughly $750 million and lower for less active roles, some of the people said.

Advertisement

Generally, in syndicated loans, the higher the commitment of a bank, the higher the fees it gets paid by a borrower. When a large capital market transaction is expected, a higher ranking in a loan is likely to correspond to a more active role in the upcoming deal.


A representative for Anthropic declined to comment.
The AI developer’s race to go public gives it an opportunity to follow the lead of companies like SpaceX, which expanded its revolving credit facility to $5 billion in May from an earlier $1.5 billion, the prospectus showed, just a month before its record-breaking IPO. The bank lineup on that offering was substantially the same as those working on the IPO.A $10 billion-plus revolving credit line would be a substantial increase over a $2.5 billion five-year facility Anthropic secured last year, with participation from Morgan Stanley, Barclays Plc, Citigroup Inc., Goldman Sachs Group Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co., Royal Bank of Canada and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, according to a LinkedIn post at the time.

Anthropic is working with Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan on the IPO, Bloomberg News has reported.

The expanded lending facility comes weeks after banks led by Morgan Stanley were in talks to line up $15 billion of debt for an Anthropic data-center project in Texas, backstopped by Alphabet Inc.’s Google, Bloomberg News reported. That package for data-center developer Nexus Data Centers would consist of a $14 billion bridge loan and a revolving credit facility, people familiar with the matter have said.

The AI race has fired up the IPO market, with listings this year raising $257 billion, excluding blank-check firms and other financial vehicles, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That’s the most raised in a year since 2021, the data show.

Advertisement

Anthropic and its rival OpenAI have filed confidential paperwork to go public, with Anthropic expected to make its Wall Street debut as soon as this fall, ahead of OpenAI.

Bank of America Corp. handed a $520 million credit line to OpenAI earlier this summer as it joined an existing undrawn facility set up by competitors, Bloomberg News reported, boosting the capital available for OpenAI to more than $5 billion.

Anthropic’s run rate, a metric that projects full-year revenuefrom a shorter period, hit $65 billion by the end of July, Bloomberg News reported on Monday. The dramatic acceleration in revenue bolsters Anthropic’s plans for a public listing.

The company reported a preliminary revenue figure of more than $11.5 billion in its latest completed quarter, compared with $787 million in the corresponding period in 2025, according to documents seen by Bloomberg News. It also reported positive adjusted operating income for the quarter, the documents show.

Advertisement

Anthropic is meeting with investors ahead of its potential mega-IPO, people familiar with the matter said in July.

Continue Reading

Business

Home Depot customers stick to smaller projects as housing costs stay high

Published

on

Home Depot customers stick to smaller projects as housing costs stay high

Home Depot customers are still spending on their homes, with smaller projects supporting demand as Americans contend with elevated mortgage rates and high home prices.

The home improvement retailer said Tuesday that second-quarter sales rose 5.7% from a year ago to $47.9 billion, while comparable sales increased 1.7%. Comparable sales in the U.S. climbed 1.3%. The results came as consumers continued to favor smaller-scale home improvement work over larger projects.

Advertisement

“Our second quarter results exceeded our expectations. We saw broad-based demand across the business as customers continued to engage in smaller projects,” Home Depot Chief Financial Officer Richard McPhail said.

Shoppers also spent more per transaction. Home Depot’s average ticket rose 2.8% from a year earlier to $92.50, while comparable customer transactions declined 1%.

IS MIAMI REALLY COSTLIER THAN NEW YORK CITY? WHY TOP DEVELOPERS SAY THE MATH STILL FAVORS FLORIDA

Customers shop at a Home Depot store on August 19, 2025 in Chicago, Illinois.

Customers shop at a Home Depot store on August 19, 2025, in Chicago, Illinois. (Scott Olson/Getty Images / Getty Images)

The spending pattern comes as the housing market remains constrained by affordability pressures, potentially limiting demand for larger renovations that are more likely to require financing.

Advertisement
A customer shops in the lumber section of a Home Depot store

Home Depot confirmed hundreds of job cuts tied to its Atlanta-based support center. (Mario Tama/Getty Images / Getty Images)

Existing-home sales fell 1.7% in July from the previous month to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 4.06 million, according to the National Association of Realtors. Meanwhile, the median existing-home price rose 2% from a year earlier to $434,100.

Borrowing costs also remain elevated. The average rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage was 6.67% as of Aug. 13, according to Freddie Mac, up from 6.58% a year earlier.

MAKER OF ICE CREAM SOLD AT GROCERY STORES NATIONWIDE FILES FOR BANKRUPTCY AS IT APPEALS $23.8M JUDGMENT

High borrowing costs and home prices can raise the hurdle for home purchases and larger renovation projects, even as homeowners continue spending on smaller projects around the house.

Advertisement
Home Depot logo on building

Home Depot announced it will cut about 800 jobs tied to its Atlanta store support center as part of a corporate restructuring. (Brandon Bell/Getty Images / Getty Images)

Home Depot reported second-quarter net earnings of $4.8 billion, or $4.79 per diluted share. Adjusted earnings were $4.92 per share.

CLICK HERE TO GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO

Despite the uneven housing environment, the Atlanta-based retailer reaffirmed its fiscal 2026 outlook. Home Depot continues to expect total sales growth of approximately 2.5% to 4.5% and comparable sales growth ranging from flat to 2% for the year. The sales guidance is consistent with the outlook Home Depot issued earlier in fiscal 2026.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Business

Gold falls over 1.5%, weighed down by elevated Treasury yields, higher oil prices

Published

on


Gold falls over 1.5%, weighed down by elevated Treasury yields, higher oil prices

Continue Reading

Business

Trump interviews candidates for FDA commissioner role – Bloomberg

Published

on


Trump interviews candidates for FDA commissioner role – Bloomberg

Continue Reading

Business

At Close of Business podcast August 18 2026

Published

on

At Close of Business podcast August 18 2026

Yes. Corporate subscriptions are available for teams and organisations, with discounted rates as user numbers increase. Pricing starts from $1,625 + GST per user.
Get in touch
to discuss the right option for your organisation.

Business News subscriptions are used by executives, investors, consultants and professionals who need to stay informed and make better decisions about the WA market. When you subscribe you’ll get

  • Unlimited access to WA’s most trusted business journalism
  • Data & Insights — detailed profiles of WA companies, people, projects and deals
  • MyBN — a personalised feed based on the companies, people and sectors you follow
  • Special publications and industry reports
  • Daily and weekly email newsletters

Data & Insights is a research tool built specifically for the WA market. It draws on more than 30 years of Business News reporting, updated regularly to reflect what’s happening now. Use it to:

  • Look up detailed profiles of WA companies, including financials, directors and ownership
  • Find decision-makers and track their career movements
  • Research live and completed projects across WA industries
  • Monitor deals, appointments and market activity
  • Access industry rankings and league tables

Data & Insights is updated daily by our dedicated research team, which uses the latest announcements, ASX filings and editorial coverage to keep our person, company, list and project records up to date.

Business News welcome all opportunities to make our dataset accurate, complete and current, so if you have an update request, please email the team at
general@businessnews.com.au, and we’d be happy to assist.

Advertisement

MyBN
is part of every subscription. It’s your personalised view of Business News. You can follow the companies, people, sectors and projects that matter to you, and get a news feed and alerts tailored to your interests. You can save articles to read later and retain only what you need.

Only subscribers have full access to all content on the Business News website.

Advertisement

If staying informed about the WA economy is part of your job, and/or you’re looking for networking opportunities in WA, Business News is built for you.

Business News subscribers are:

  • Executives and directors tracking competitors, clients and market movements
  • Investors and advisers researching companies, deals and industry trends
  • Consultants and professionals staying across sectors relevant to their clients
  • Business owners looking for leads, context and market intelligence

Most Business News publications cover national or global markets. Business News is focused entirely on Western Australia, which means the journalism, the data and the intelligence are all built around WA companies, people and projects — not adapted from a national feed. Data & Insights, included with every subscription, combines more than 30 years of WA-specific editorial research with live business data. There’s no comparable product for the WA market.

Advertisement

The Morning Digest Email provides a comprehensive wrap of the major headlines, relevant to WA business, and includes with a snapshot of the overnight news covering oil, gold and ASX-listed companies.

The Afternoon Wrap Email focuses on the news covered by our team of journalists during the course of the working day, including exclusive stories and analysis, all of which relates to WA business and the local economy.

The BN Weekender Email contains a wrap of the Business News from the week that was, highlighting the top stories in each area of WA business.
Sign up for free.

Advertisement

We’re happy to help.
Get in touch
and our team will come back to you.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Business

Rep Mike Lawler says Hochul’s data center pause harms NY business

Published

on

Rep Mike Lawler says Hochul's data center pause harms NY business

New York’s business climate is back in the spotlight after Gov. Kathy Hochul’s pause on new hyperscale data centers added to a broader debate over whether the state’s energy and economic policies are pushing investment elsewhere.

Rep. Mike Lawler, R-N.Y., joined FOX Business’ Cheryl Casone on “Mornings with Maria” to discuss New York’s energy policies, business climate and continued taxpayer out-migration.

Advertisement
New York Governor Hochul.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul speaks during a press conference. (Michael M. Santiago / Getty Images)

Hochul announced a statewide moratorium of up to one year on July 14 on new hyperscale data centers while New York develops a regulatory framework intended to protect utility ratepayers and address the facilities’ energy and infrastructure demands. The pause applies to state environmental permits for new hyperscale data centers.

Lawler argued the move sends the wrong message to companies considering investing in New York.

“What she is saying is, don’t come here. Go do your business elsewhere, which is why New York State leads the nation in out-migration,” Lawler said. “It’s why it is a terrible place to do business and why people are expanding in Florida and Texas and Tennessee and North Carolina and South Carolina and elsewhere. We have the highest tax burden and the worst business climate.”

Advertisement

TRUMP WARNS NEW HOCHUL, MAMDANI PIED-À-TERRE TAX COULD ACCELERATE NYC WEALTH EXODUS

New York has experienced net out-migration among part-year resident tax filers every year since 2015, according to state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli’s office. In 2024, 134,913 part-year resident filers left the state while 121,251 moved in, resulting in a net loss of 13,662 filers. The pace, however, slowed considerably from the pandemic-era surge.

Lawler also tied the state’s business challenges to its energy policies, pointing to nuclear plant closures, restrictions on natural gas and pipeline projects and electrification requirements.

Advertisement

NEW YORK BECOMES FIRST STATE TO FREEZE NEW AI DATA CENTERS IN MOVE CRITICS WARN COULD DRIVE AWAY JOBS

“If you want to address these problems, you need to have a coherent economic and energy policy,” Lawler said. “And that is fundamental if New York is going to prosper moving forward.”

CLICK HERE TO GET FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Business

Lumentum: This Optical Shortage Is Getting Even Bigger

Published

on

Lumentum: This Optical Shortage Is Getting Even Bigger

Lumentum: This Optical Shortage Is Getting Even Bigger

Continue Reading

Business

Tech selloff pulls Wall Street to two-week lows as bond yields climb

Published

on


Tech selloff pulls Wall Street to two-week lows as bond yields climb

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025