NewsBeat
Bolton to mark 80th anniversary of Burnden Park Disaster
This year marks the 80th anniversary of theThe Burnden Park disaster, which claimed the lives of 33 people.
The tragedy took place on March 9, 1946.
The Whites were playing the famous Stanley Matthews’ Stoke City in the sixth round of the FA Cup on that fateful day, with fans turning out in their droves.
But by 2.40pm, officials took the decision to close the railway embankment gates, with 15,000 fans waiting to get in.
Many of the fans found alternate ways into the ground. It had been predicted that 55,000 people would watch the game, and the official attendance would register 65,419. Unofficially it was thought to be 85,000.
DISASTER: A photograph taken in the aftermath of the tragedy
Fans ‘bottlenecked’ in the embankment had already started to spill out on to the cinder track prior to kick-off because of the pressure but once the game started, the excitement became so great the weight of the crowd bore down on the spectators at the front.
Barriers collapsed and people, three or four deep, were trampled underfoot by their helpless neighbours.
Around 500 people were also injured, but the game played on.
Many – including the great Nat Lofthouse, then just 20 – were unaware of the tragic events until they read the final edition of the Evening News.
On March 9 this year at 7.30pm, a service will be held at Bolton Parish Church to mark the 80th anniversary of the disaster.
Cllr John Walsh, who is the church warden and a lifelong Wanderers fan, said: “A memorial service will be held for those who lost their lives.
FOOTBALL TRAGEDY: Burnden Park disaster, 1946.
“Everyone is welcome to attend this open service and mark what was a very sad day in Bolton’s history.
“There are still relatives of those who died around who remember the sad event, and we want to give them an opportunity to remember.
“As with VE Day and VJ Day, this will be one of the last times in history where people will be able to remember this event first hand.”
He said that Burnden Park was in the parish of Bolton Parish Church.
Cllr Walsh added: “A memorial book is in the church with the names of all 33 of those who lost their lives.
“It will be open, as it is on March 9 every year.”