Two teenagers were found dead after the opened fire at a mosque, killing three men – one of the suspects was revealed to be a former school wrestler and images revealed the teen showing off their sports medals
One of the alleged shooters who opened fire at a mosque was identified as a 17-year-old former school wrestler.
Three people were left dead after two gunmen sprayed bullets outside the Islamic Center of San Diego, in California, on Monday. The teenage suspects were later identified as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, and were later found dead inside a BMW, near the mosque, reportedly with self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
Clark has been revealed to be a former high school wrestler, with images showing the teenager showing off his medals. Hate speech had reportedly been inscribed into one of the weapons used in the horror attack and anti-Islamic writings were reportedly discovered in the suspects’ car.
READ MORE: San Diego shooting updates: ‘Hate rhetoric’ of gunmen as three killed at mosqueREAD MORE: ‘Heroic’ security guard killed in San Diego shooting ‘saved lives’ as three shot dead by two teen gunmen
Clark had been a wrestler at Madison High School during the 2024-25 season but did not attend the school as a student, according to NBC. A spokesperson for the San Diego Unified School District said Clark had been attending virtual classes and was due to graduate this month.
The 17-year-old’s grandfather, David Clark, 78, according the New York Post, said: “We’re very sorry for what happened. We know as much as you do. It’s a shock.”
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said officers were called at 9.42am local time from a mum who reported a “runaway juvenile” who she believed was suicidal. The mother added that “several of her weapons” had vanished, as well as her car.
A shotgun with a sticker that said “SS” was also found near the crime scene. This appears to be a reference to Schutzstaffel, which enforced Adolf Hitler’s horror racial policies during Nazi Germany.
The mum also told the police that her son was with another person and she saw them both dressed in camouflage before reporting them to the cops. It is not clear if this missing teenager is one of the suspects in this case.
San Diego Police chief Scott Wahl said the attack was being investigated as a hate crime and said the “circumstances that led up to this” would come out in the days ahead.
On the mother who called the police before the attack, Wahl said: “She was beginning to develop a bigger picture as to what she was dealing with and was conveying that to our folks, and we were trying to put that together and get out in front of this as quickly as we could.”
The mother also found a note, Wahl said. He did not disclose its contents but said of the case: “There was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved.”
Amin Abdullah was reportedly one of the three people killed in the horrific attack. The security guard was described as a hero by parents of children who attended the Islamic Center of San Diego.
Sam Hamideh, speaking to CNN, said: “He wasn’t just some security guard. Knowing him for the past four years, I know that he knew he was sacrificing himself. If he didn’t take that bullet, they would easily have walked upstairs and then there’s just innocent eight and younger [children] and women, and people that couldn’t defend themselves.”
Wahl also praised the security guard and said: “Undoubtedly he saved lives today.” Police responded within four minutes of being called, Wahl said. As they arrived, gunshots rang out a few blocks away where a landscaper was shot at but uninjured.
The centre is the largest mosque in San Diego County and includes the Al Rashid School that offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students ages five and up, according to its website.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login