Radio Caroline made a major blunder when it accidentally broadcast the King had died
A UK radio station has apologised for ‘any distress called’ to its listeners after playing a broadcast declaring King Charles III had died.
Radio Caroline, which operates across the Midlands and South England, made the huge blunder today (Tuesday, May 20), with listeners apparently in shock by the sudden news.
The usual broadcast came to an abrupt end before the hosts announced normal programming had been suspended due to the death of the monarch. The station then played God Save the King, according to a listener.
The broadcast then ceased for around 15 minutes before the station made an on-air apology, reports The Mirror.
The mistake was blamed on a “computer error”, as Station Manager Peter Moore issued a statement of apology, while explaining what caused the incorrect broadcast.
In a statement posted to the radio station’s Facebook page, Moore wrote: “Due to a computer error at our main studio the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (19 May), mistakenly announcing that HRH the King had passed away.
“Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology. Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen’s, and now the King’s, Christmas Message and we hope to do so for many years to come. We apologise to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused.”
Listeners flocked to the comments of the post to share their relief that the news wasn’t true, while others expressed their sympathy for the radio hosts that announced the false obituary.
One person commented: “On the plus side, at least you know the procedure for this is working and in place!”, while another added: “I bet this made a few people stop in their tracks! It did give me a bit of a shock, but these mistakes can happen and I was glad to find out it wasn’t true.”
King Charles is alive and well, as he and Queen Camilla touched down in Northern Ireland yesterday ahead of a three-day trip. Charles and Camilla had a lively start to his visit after arriving on Tuesday, as they were greeted with music, singing, dancing – and a taoscán of Titanic – in the capital, Belfast.
They joined organisers and performers to mark Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann – the world ’s largest festival of traditional Irish music, song and dance – which is coming to the city this August for the first time.
Charles and Camilla were greeted by more than two hundred performers at Thompson Dock, where the Titanic was last on dry land in 1911 before its fateful maiden voyage. As a drummer played, Charles, 77, couldn’t resist tapping his feet and getting involved, moving rhythmically to the sounds of the musician.
The King was hugged warmly around the waist by Tendai Nyamayaro, 38, originally from Zimbabwe who has been living in Belfast for two and a half years, with the laughing monarch slapping his back and returning the gesture.
Mr Nyamayaro said afterwards: “The King’s got rhythm! He did have some rhythm! What a beautiful thing to have happened. Showing up to celebrate our different cultures here in Belfast. It’s a wonderful place, the people are lovely, so friendly and welcoming. There’s a real energy here. It was so beautiful.”
After, the King and Queen moved to the nearby Titanic Distillers, a distinctive distillery housed within the restored Edwardian pumphouse that once served the adjoining dry dock, famed for holding the RMS Titanic. After meeting distillery staff the couple were taken on a tour of their stunning copper stills before trying their hand at trying two different types of whiskey.
Camilla raised her eyebrows dramatically but taking a sip, she knocked the brew back, rolling her eyes in mock surprise. “Delicious. But quite strong! It’s nice and warming,” she said. “It’s very strong,” she warned her husband, who leaned over to pick up a glass.

.png)

You must be logged in to post a comment Login