A two-day inquest was held in January into the man’s death
A family is calling for “lessons to be learned” at a Cambridge hospital after a father died awaiting a heart transplant in 2023. Luke Barnes, from Mapperley in Nottingham, died aged 34 on March 17, 2023, as his life support was turned off at Royal Papworth Hospital.
Luke was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy – a chronic disease of the heart muscle – in 2018. While awaiting his transplant, he had a BiVad system fitted to help blood pump around his body.
Following a two-day inquest in January, it was concluded that due to an “unexpected” disconnection with the BiVad, Luke suffered a “catastrophic haemorrhage”.
Rothera Bray solicitors, which represented Luke’s wife Isobel Barnes at the inquest, has raised “serious concerns” over the handling of the hospital’s investigation after Luke’s death.
The solicitors are calling for “lessons to be learned” after the tragedy. Abagail Clarke, a solicitor in Rothera Bray’s inquest team said: “The family’s priority now is ensuring that meaningful lessons are learned and that no other family experiences a similar tragedy.
“The issues highlighted during the inquest raise significant concerns about the trust’s investigative processes and must prompt urgent review and reform. At this time, the family ask that their privacy is respected as they continue to process their loss and navigate life without Luke.”
The family and solicitors raised concerns about how the aortic cannula became disconnected from Luke’s BiVad system. In the inquest, the coroner concluded it was an “unknown” reason why it disconnected, and it was a “rare” event to have happened. The solicitors also raised concerns about how the medical device was discarded of.
A spokesperson for Royal Papworth said it acknowledges the family’s “concerns” and their “thoughts remain with them at this incredibly difficult time”. The spokesperson added: “As explored at the inquest, we can confirm that this tragic event was immediately escalated to the relevant authorities and we also conducted a thorough internal investigation, in keeping with our trust policy.
“Unfortunately neither our internal investigation or the inquest were able to conclusively determine the cause of the disconnection of Mr Barnes’ BIVAD. We appreciate that this will have caused additional distress for Mr Barnes’ family and friends.”
Following last month’s inquest, Luke’s wife paid tribute to him. She said Luke was her “safest place” and “greatest joy”.
She added: “He was the person who made me feel safe, loved and understood. Being married to him was a privilege I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
“Luke had the biggest heart and loved fiercely. He stood up for what he believed in and protected the people he cared about with everything he had.
“To be loved by him was to know what unconditional love truly meant and to lose him has left a void that can never truly be filled. Life without him feels quieter, heavier, and unimaginably painful. Losing him has shattered my world in ways words will never fully capture. Every day without him is a struggle, and the ache of his absence is constant.”





