Connect with us

Sports

Althoff defeats G1 performers in 2026 Rosehill feature

Published

on

Jockey in green and white silks rides a brown horse mid-jump at Rosehill Gardens racecourse, blue saddle cloth bearing number 1.

Althoff, a less-heralded member of the Chris Waller stable, achieved a significant career highlight at Rosehill, outclassing the Group 1 performer Attica with a superb Zac Lloyd ride.

Patiently handled in the midfield, Althoff ($3.60) saved ground before unleashing a decisive run in the straight to cross the line 2-1/4 lengths ahead of Attica ($3.10 fav). The Epsom Handicap placegetter, Fully Lit ($7), secured third place, a short neck further back.

“They never stop surprising you,” Waller stated. “He’s always been a consistent horse. He’s had a few niggles with his knees, and he’s obviously matured now and put all those little things behind him. Beautiful ride. Zac is riding with confidence. Horses feel that and that’s how he won.”

The five-year-old had indicated his well-being when finishing second to Carbonados at Rosehill on August 1. Despite a history of inconsistency for punters, Waller believes Althoff is capable of succeeding in a lower-grade stakes race when conditions align.

Advertisement

“I know he’s not an easy horse to follow, but when they return like that you like to think they can build towards something, and he did,” Waller commented. “He’s never been one we’ve thought too highly of, but we’ve thought enough of him to keep him going. He’s a good, Saturday money-spinning horse and if he had the perfect conditions, a race at Newcastle like the Cameron Handicap, or those type of second-tier Listed or Group Three races (could suit).”

Attica, conceding seven kilograms to the winner, put up a valiant effort to finish second.

Stable representative Brave Pride noted that Attica’s trials had suggested a sharper turn of foot, but his performance indicated he would benefit from a middle-distance test.

“Just the way he trialled, we thought he might have been a bit sharper today,” Brave Pride said. “He ground away nicely. (Jockey) Adam (Hyeronimus) was happy with him. He just said he probably wanted to be in that rhythm a bit longer over 2000 metres. We’ll press on, probably with the idea of getting more towards a mile-and-a-quarter.”

Advertisement

Althoff’s victory marked the fourth winner for Waller on the day, while Lloyd celebrated a riding treble. Punters looking for the next opportunity might find value by checking Australian betting sites for early markets.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Can Roman Reigns deny Solo Sikoa in The Bloodline for one big reason? Exploring the possibility

Published

on

Roman Reigns is set to return on the Aug. 17 episode of WWE RAW after missing last week’s show, which featured major developments in the Bloodline saga. Jey Uso faced Solo Sikoa in a high-stakes impromptu match, with the stipulation that if The Yeet Man wins, The Street Champion would be forced to join the family. On the other hand, a Sikoa win would make him a free man from the Bloodline.

Thanks to Jimmy Uso’s interference, Jey Uso won the bout. As a result, this week, Solo Sikoa will be forced to rejoin The Bloodline in the presence of The OTC.

However, Roman could deny Solo Sikoa’s entry into The Bloodline.

The Tribal Chief could go off on Jey Uso for making his own rules and not bothering to ask him once before making such a big decision, which could have cost them if he had lost.

The OTC could also call out The Yeet Man and Big Jim for cheating to win, something Reigns has been avoiding himself.

However, The Usos breaking the rule could put them at odds with the Tribal Chief, who follows an entirely different philosophy. Therefore, Roman Reigns could deny Sikoa entry into the group and let him go for a while, creating a gripping segment, planting seeds of tension within the Bloodline, and potentially building toward another civil war.

Meanwhile, this would also help Solo Sikoa continue to grow as a babyface superstar on Monday Night RAW.

Advertisement

That said, the angle proposed above is speculative, and nothing has been officially confirmed yet.

Former WWE United States Champion takes shots at Roman Reigns ahead of RAW

The Original Tribal Chief is on a dominant run as the World Heavyweight Champion and has already defended his strap thrice.

AAA General Manager Rey Mysterio recently announced that Roman Reigns will defend his strap on the Sept. 14 edition of WWE RAW in Mexico City. The winner of the cross-brand Luchador tournament, featuring luchadores from RAW, SmackDown, AAA, and NXT, will earn a title shot.

Penta is one of those stars; he already punched his ticket to the tournament’s semi-finals and is just two steps away from a title match. The former United States Champion appeared on this week’s AAA episode and issued a chilling warning to Roman Reigns, claiming he would win the tournament.

Advertisement

“You have never faced a wrestler like Penta, you’ve never been in front of a man like Penta, a man who has fought for everything, even his life, to gain everything I’ve gained in my career. Roman, I’ve never need a family or a faction or a group to accomplish my objectives. Penta has fought for himself and for all his people, that is Penta. I respect you as a wrestler, but when I win this tournament, I’m going straight to Mexico City, I’m gonna see you face to face and show you who is Penta,” he said. (Translated from Spanish) (30:30 onwards)

With Sunday Night’s Main Event and 2026 Money in the Bank on the way, it will be interesting to see what plans Triple H and the WWE creative crew have in store for Roman Reigns and his Bloodline in the coming weeks.