Connect with us

Sports

Coventry City: Premier League return was about more than result

Published

on

Since winning the Championship by 11 points from Ipswich Town, Coventry have spent about £130m, breaking their transfer record four times already this summer.

They have signed midfielder Frank Onyeka, centre-back Aurele Amenda, winger Loum Tchaouna and goalkeeper Carl Rushworth, while Ghana midfielder Caleb Yirenkyi was their record signing at £23.1m.

All five started at the Emirates, while fellow new arrivals, Gustavo Hamer from Sheffield United and striker Taiwo Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest, came on as substitutes.

All of them have top-flight or international experience, as well as physicality to their game, but even those additions did little to prevent Arsenal from asserting their superiority on Friday night.

Advertisement

When asked what Lampard told the players at full-time, captain Matt Grimes said: “Our season won’t be defined by coming to places like this and getting beaten. Coming here against players like this is always going to be a tough ask.”

But a game that could define their season follows next week when they host Hull City – who came up through the play-offs – at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

The Sky Blues have the toughest opening schedule of any team this season, according to Opta, with trips against Manchester City and Nottingham Forest to come next month, so the game against Hull takes on greater significance.

The teams played out goalless draws in both meetings in the Championship last season.

Advertisement

“With that start, we have to remain calm,” admitted Lampard.

“We want to get rolling. We had a good feeling last year of winning games and it makes everything pretty easy. It won’t be so easy this year, but we want to get those points for sure.”

Returning to the Premier League was hard for the Sky Blues. But now it gets even harder.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Manchester United agree deal for Carlos Baleba as midfield rebuild continues

Published

on

Manchester United have agreed a £65m deal for Carlos Baleba as they look to make the Brighton player their third midfield signing of the summer.

United’s offer, which could rise by £5m, means they have resurrected their interest in Baleba, a player they first targeted last summer.

Brighton then valued the 22-year-old at over £100m, but were also reluctant to sell, but Baleba’s price has dropped after a difficult year.

United have turned back to him after missing out on two midfielders they liked, with Mateus Fernandes instead joining Tottenham from West Ham and Elliot Anderson moving to Manchester City from Nottingham Forest.

They had also agreed to sign Ederson from Atalanta before a medical revealed concerns and the deal for the Brazil international fell through.

Advertisement

While Baleba is currently out after an ankle problem, it is not thought to keep him out for long or to be enough of an issue to prevent a transfer from going through. Personal terms are not expected to be an issue with the midfielder either.

United have bought two midfielders in this transfer window, with Andrey Santos joining from Chelsea for £48m and Youri Tielemans arriving from Aston Villa for £35m.

But they have lost Casemiro while Manuel Ugarte is sidelined and Mason Mount has missed their last two-pre-season friendlies.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

36-year-old ex-NJPW star debuts in WWE as Shinsuke Nakamura’s tag team partner; new tag team name revealed

Published

on

In a huge moment, Shinsuke Nakamura officially unveiled WWE’s newest superstar – a 36-year-old former New Japan Pro Wrestling star. They even have a new tag team name.

The partner of Shinsuke Nakamura is none other than Hiromu Takahashi, who now goes by the name of “Kyoki” after debuting in WWE. Together, they will be known as Bakusai and have straight-up said that they would be going after the MFTs and the WWE Tag Team Championship. This is a huge boost for the tag team division, and it’s going to be interesting to see the impact that Kyoki fka Takahashi has in WWE as well as the tag team division at large.

Advertisement

Shinsuke Nakamura’s new tag team could be a part of WWE’s larger plan

It had been rumored for a while that WWE wanted to revamp the tag team division. These rumors tend to pop up every few years, and little is actually done to improve the division, except for small pockets of time. For example, when The Motor City Machine Guns debuted, it looked like WWE was taking the tag team division seriously and stacking it up, but that has been slowly dismantled over the course of two years.

Advertisement

Either way, the MFTs need a challenger, and Shinsuke Nakamura and Kyoki seem like an interesting duo. With over ten years under his belt in WWE, Nakamura needs a new challenge. Although he has been a tag team champion before, he has never been fully integrated into the tag team division.

It leaves one glaring question, however – who else is there in the tag team division? Fraxiom hasn’t been properly utilized for ages through no fault of their own, and Damian Priest and R-Truth are completely out of the title picture after a loss in their rematch to the MFTs on the 21st August episode of SmackDown. Hopefully, there is a big plan in place.