Connect with us

Sports

Elena Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win

Published

on

Elena Rybakina vs Magdalena Frech Cincinnati Open

Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan celebrates after a match against Magdalena Frech of Poland on day seven of the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 17, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. Emilee Chinn/Getty Images/AFP

Elena Rybakina needed two hours on court plus two one-hour rain interruptions to defeat Magdalena Frech 6-4, 7-6 (7/2) on Monday and reach the fourth round of the ATP-WTA Cincinnati Masters.

The second-seeded Kazakh admitted she struggled to close out a match which dragged on for much of the afternoon.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

The players were forced off court after nine games of the first set and again in the seventh game of the second.

READ: Iga Swiatek rolls past Elena Rybakina for Canadian Open title

Upon the second return at the start of a week when rain is repeatedly forecast, two-time Grand Slam champion Rybakina was unable to wrap it up on three match points against the Frech serve in the 12th game.

With the Pole holding serve, the match went to a tie-breaker, where the seed finally got the job done on her fourth chance to get off court barely 10 minutes before more weather arrived.

“It was a crazy day, to be honest, coming out every time into clouds and humidity,” Rybakina said. “I felt that I was on top of the ball in the tie-break, but it was a difficult one.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

“I had the opportunities on the three match points but when you are tired it’s difficult to keep concentration.

“I’m happy the tiebreak went my way, I just tried to win as many points as I could.”

Former world number one and defending champion Iga Swiatek was able to go through hours before the poor weather, turning the tables after losing the first set to defeat Maria Sakkari 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

The Polish seventh seed, who won the Toronto title last week, improved to 6-4 over her Greek opponent, heading to the changing rooms after dropping the first set and returning as if another player.

Swiatek, winner of six Grand Slam titles including the US Open four years ago, only lost two more games after her remarkable turnaround.

The seventh seed needed two hours to complete her reversal in form, saving seven of eight break points while breaking Sakkari five times. The Greek hit the net with a return on Swiatek’s first match point.

Advertisement

‘Lacked precision’

“It’s hard to analyze this match,” Swiatek said. “I was playing good in the first set but I lacked precision, I was playing too much to her.

“After that I wanted to push her and not give so many opportunities. I’m happy it started working in the second set I played a bit better.

“She made mistakes and the momentum changed a little bit.”

Swiatek moved into a match against Diane Parry, winner of an all-French battle with Lois Boisson 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Advertisement

In the men’s draw, Thiago Tirante maintained his pace after ousting Novak Djokovic in the second round with the Argentine advancing past Spain’s Martin Landaluce 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (7/4) to reach the third Masters round of 16 in his career.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

Roland Garros finalist Flavio Cobolli came from a break down in the deciding set to defeat Alexander Blockx 7-5, 4-6, 7-5 and avenge a loss to the Belgian in Monte Carlo.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Red Sox Fans Want Franklin Arias, but They’re Forgetting One Thing

Published

on

Red Sox Fans Want Franklin Arias, but They’re Forgetting One Thing originally appeared on NESN. Add NESN as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

If the Boston Red Sox ultimately decide to call up youngster Franklin Arias, there are going to be some decisions that have to be made with the remainder of their roster. 

Advertisement

The one promising thing for Boston is that Sept. 1 allows teams to call up two extra players, as rosters expand from 26 to 28. 

Advertisement

With the hope that Arias will make his debut, many fans think that will probably be the time Boston decides to call him up. 

However, it feels like some fans are forgetting something: the Red Sox active roster doesn’t have Trevor Story on it. 

Story, Roman Anthony, and Garrett Crochet will all have to be activated when and if they return. That means the Red Sox already have to move on from a guy when rosters expand to 28, and that’s without factoring in Arias.

“His talent is hard to ignore. But Monasterio is hitting .333 with a .946 OPS since July 1 and plays passable defense. The Sox also hope to have Trevor Story back on the roster before the season ends. Rosters expand from 26 to 28 on Sept. 1, and one addition must be a pitcher,” Peter Abraham wrote.

Advertisement

Advertisement

There are definitely players on the active roster the Red Sox could move on from if they feel, at the time, that Arias can be the guy they need. 

It’s also possible Boston just wants to call him up to get some at-bats in September and have him travel with the team in October, even if he doesn’t get much playing time. 

That postseason experience can be valuable, and with the right moves the front office has made recently, it wouldn’t be surprising to see them go in that direction.

Advertisement

More Red Sox

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Buddy Matthews looks absolutely jacked amid rumors of imminent AEW return

Published

on

AEW star Buddy Matthews is one of the most agile stars in the company. Unfortunately, he has been absent from the Jacksonville-based promotion for over 18 months. He injured his leg at Grand Slam Australia in February 2025 during his match against Kazuchika Okada. Throughout the year, fans have been waiting for him to return.

A few weeks ago, the former AEW World Trios Champion announced that he will return to the ring in October 2026 for a major tour of World Series Wrestling. He is also medically cleared to wrestle. Shockingly, the date for All Elite Wrestling has still not been announced. With All In just around the corner, he could have played a major part at the pay-per-view.

Recently, Buddy Matthews took to Instagram and uploaded a story of him working out. He is looking absolutely phenomenal despite being out of the ring for over one and a half years.

Take a look at the screenshot of the story below:

Buddy's Instagram story [Image via Instagram/@snm_buddy]Buddy's Instagram story [Image via Instagram/@snm_buddy]
Buddy’s Instagram story [Image via Instagram/@snm_buddy]

Rhea Ripley talks about Buddy Matthews’ road to recovery

The injured AEW star has been training for many months to get ready for a return. His wife, Rhea Ripley, recently talked about his training.

While speaking on What’s Your Story? With Stephanie McMahon, the Eradicator said that the couple train together.

“Every now and then (her & Buddy train in the ring together). He’s still starting to get back into the ring stuff because he got injured over a year ago in February when they (AEW) went to Australia. So he got injured then, so he’s just started getting back into the ring now, and he’s just trying to rehab it and see what he can do. So he’ll get in, and we’ll run the ropes. I’ve been teaching him some rolls, since the boys class didn’t do as many rolls as the girls class apparently… We’ve been getting in a little bit. Also, I get nervous about getting hurt, especially these days, because I’m always on the road, I’m always doing stuff. I want to stay sharp, but I also don’t want to get beat up more than I get beat up. So, I go a little bit easier,” she said.

It will be interesting to see if Buddy Matthews returns at All In.

Advertisement