Connect with us

Sports

ISL To Start In October, To Go Ahead With 13 Teams After Diamond Harbour Miss Deadline

Published

on




The upcoming season of the Indian Super League (ISL), which was earlier scheduled to kick off on September 4, is set to be postponed by more than a month and will start only after October 6. The ISL will start only after the FIFA international match window which runs from September 21 to October 6. The top tier league will also go ahead with 13 teams after the Indian Football League 2025-26 champions Diamond Harbour FC failed to pay the participation fee second instalment amounting to Rs 55 lakh by Wednesday deadline. Diamond Harbour were earlier promoted to the ISL by virtue of winning the Indian Football League 2025-26.

“The ISL is likely to start only in October after the FIFA window,” a top official of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) told PTI.

“We are going with 13 teams in the ISL,” the official added.

Advertisement

All the 14 clubs were to pay the second instalment of the total Rs 1.1 crore participation fee to the AIFF by August 14 deadline, which was extended for Diamond Harbour till Wednesday.

Churchill Brothers paid, on August 14, the full Rs 1.1 crore fee to feature in the upcoming ISL after Jamshedpur Football Club sold its entire stake to the Goan side.

Jamshedpur FC had pulled out of the ISL and disbanded the first team on July 31, hours after the deadline for paying the first installment of participation fee amounting to Rs 55 lakh.

AIFF condemns ‘unverified claims’ concerning its finances and use of funds 

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the AIFF condemned what it called “incorrect claims that its decision not to participate in the FIFA ASEAN Cup 2026 has resulted in a predetermined financial penalty or fine”.

“The AIFF is also concerned about the public circulation of unverified figures and claims regarding its finances without any supporting basis or documentation,” it said in a release.

Earlier last week, India withdrew from the inaugural FIFA ASEAN Cup, opting to prioritise their high-profile international friendly against five-time world champions Brazil.

It said the decision to host five-time FIFA World Cup champions Brazil on October 3 in Kolkata “was taken through the appropriate institutional processes, recognising the exceptional opportunity it presents for Indian football, the national team and millions of fans”.

Advertisement

“The match will give a morale boost to the Indian national team while driving fans towards Indian football, the impact of which is unquantifiable. The match is a mutually agreed international sporting opportunity between two football federations and should not be portrayed as a one-sided arrangement,” it added.

“The AIFF respects the democratic right to express opinions on Indian football. However, statements concerning the Federation’s finances and use of funds must be based on facts and verifiable information.” The national federation said the circulation of “factually incorrect statements has the potential to adversely affect India’s reputation and standing nationally and internationally”.

“We believe those who have made these claims have the best interests of Indian football in mind and may be misinformed.

“The AIFF, through this statement, seeks to make all aware of the facts. Should the concerned person(s) continue to disseminate incorrect claims, the AIFF will pursue appropriate legal remedies against those who continue to knowingly publish and/or circulate false and defamatory statements.” 

Advertisement

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


Featured Video Of The Day


Spain Vs Argentina | Dani Olmo On WC Triumph: ‘Wanted To Set An Example For The Next Generation’

Topics mentioned in this article

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

‘Have they brought value to LIV?’ Rory McIlroy questions PGA Tour returnees

Published

on

Rory McIlroy, when asked whether certain LIV Golf players should be allowed back onto the PGA Tour, started his 22-word answer on Wednesday with a question of his own. 

The six-time major winner spoke one day before the Tour’s BMW Championship — and at about the same time as LIV CEO Scott O’Neil addressed the future of his league as it attempts to regroup after the loss of its primary backer, the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund. The exit has led to speculation on whether LIV players would stick with the league after its season-ending event this week, or look into avenues to play on the Tour, the circuit in which most of the pros had once played. 

But McIlroy questioned the point of certain LIV pros returning. 

“I mean, I’d argue, have they brought value to LIV? You know?” he said. 

Advertisement

“I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.”

Later in his press conference, McIlroy was asked whether the Tour would be helped by having a pair of specific LIV pros — two-time major winners Bryson DeChambeau and Jon Rahm — among its players as it looks toward media rights negotiations. In January, they had been offered, along with Brooks Koepka and Cam Smith, a deal to leave LIV and return to the Tour under a number of stipulations, but only Koepka accepted it

“Eventually, yeah, maybe,” McIlroy said in response to the question. “But I don’t think it’s — I mean, look, eventually they will. 

“Look, if they play the golf and they, you know, I’m pretty sure — I’m not part of these discussions, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away. If they were offered this returning member program back in February, the one that Brooks took, then, yeah, maybe. But that has sort of come and gone. And I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. So, yeah, I would say it’s going to be a tough, tough road back.”

Advertisement

McIlroy, who’s been critical of LIV since its start in 2022, was also asked if he took any “personal satisfaction” should LIV end up folding — and he called it “a hard one.” As part of his answer, he noted the loss of jobs, along with Phil Mickelson and the Saudi investment.   

“I think I feel like I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game,” McIlroy said. “So, and whatever 2.0 looks like, if it even happens — you know, they say they’re trying to be more collaborative and all that. But I — this is the best platform for the top professional golfers in the world.

“Yeah, were there some things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better? Sure. But I think that the guys that went, or you look, you think back to the start with, say, Phil was unhappy with some stuff or whatever it was. Like, surely that just warranted a conversation instead of blowing the entire professional game up and doing something else.

“So I don’t take any personal satisfaction of people like losing jobs. Like that doesn’t seem right. I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. And I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour were handed 6 billion dollars it would have done a better job with it.”

Advertisement

The question of whether LIV players should be allowed back was also posed on Wednesday to Scottie Scheffler and Adam Scott, and both were OK with players returning under penalty. 

Said Scheffler: “I think when we talk about the best players, you know, LIV has a few players that are really good. I think the depth that we have on our Tour is a bit unmatched, but I think when you look at the higher levels of LIV Golf, there’s definitely some players that would provide a lot of value to the Tour, and guys that I love competing against as well. So I think going forward there obviously has to be, I think, some sort of penalties.”

Said Scott: “I think it needs to be fair. I mean, it’s a complicated question to answer. The PGA Tour needs to protect its own membership, but I think the PGA Tour also knows that there needs to be pathways, so it will be fair.” 

Advertisement

“>

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Bamba Dieng Set for Lazio Medical Ahead of Free Transfer

Published

on

Lazio are closing in on the signing of Senegalese striker Bamba Dieng on a free transfer, with the player set to undergo his medical on Thursday.

The 26-year-old forward has agreed personal terms with Lazio as the Italian club moves forward with the deal.

Dieng’s medical will be the next step before the transfer can be completed, with Lazio hoping to secure his arrival without paying a transfer fee.

Advertisement

The move comes after Lazio’s proposed deal for Mauro Icardi will not happen, leading the club to turn their attention to Dieng as an attacking option.

Dieng brings experience and attacking quality to Lazio, having established himself as a capable striker during his career in European football.

With the medical scheduled for Thursday, all attention now turns to the final steps before the transfer becomes official.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

“That boy of yours might want a new hero after he sees me beat you”

Published

on

Things between AEW stars Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay got personal tonight on Dynamite. The reigning AEW World Champion and 2026 Owen Hart Cup winner are set to lock horns in the main event of All In at Wembley Stadium. Over the past few weeks, their friendship has been tarnished and turned into fierce animosity.

Both stars have a long history. Kenny Omega and Will Ospreay collided twice in 2023. They met once in NJPW at Wrestle Kingdom 17 and once at Forbidden Door. Both of them have won one match in the contest, making their match at Wembley Stadium more meaningful.

Tonight, on Dynamite, Will Ospreay and Kenny Omega had a sit-down interview with Renee Paquette. Both stars talked about their past and struggles. At the end of the interview, the Cleaner took personal shots at the Aerial Assassin. Kenny Omega said that Ospreay’s son might have to find a new hero after the AEW World Champion defeats him at All In.

The last time it mattered the most Will was 2023. At that time too, you tried to do it on your own, and what happened, Will? You failed. You failed. Except this time, in front of your countrymen, in front of all your friends, all your family, you’re gonna fail again (…) All I’m saying is there is a lot riding on this, not just for you, but for me. And hey, win, lose or draw, I still respect you, Will, and I still think that you are one of the greatest wrestlers that I have ever laid eyes upon. Even if you lose, your mom is gonna be proud of you. What I worry about most, Will, is that boy of yours might want a new hero after he sees me beat you,” he said.

It will be interesting to see what happens at All In when the two stars collide.

Please credit AEW and add an H/T to Sportskeeda Wrestling if you use any quotes from the first half of this article.