Connect with us

Sports

Lille Agree Deal to Sign Orlando Gill from San Lorenzo

Published

on

Lille have agreed a deal to sign Paraguay goalkeeper Orlando Gill from San Lorenzo, with the World Cup hero set to make the move to France.

The deal is worth €3.6 million, with San Lorenzo also retaining a 50% sell-on clause. Gill has already agreed personal terms and will play under Lille head coach Davide Ancelotti.

Gill has earned recognition as one of Paraguay’s standout players following his impressive performances at the World Cup, where he helped his country make a strong run on the international stage.

Advertisement

The 26-year-old goalkeeper will now take on a new challenge in European football as Lille look to strengthen their squad with his arrival.

 

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Gauff and Pegula reach historic all-American Cincinnati final in 56 years | Other Sports News

Published

on


Jessica Pegula beat defending champion Iga Swiatek and Coco Gauff defeated Sara Bejlek on Saturday to set up the first all-American women’s final at the Cincinnati Open in 56 years.


Pegula rallied from down a break in the third set to get past Swiatek, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4, for her tour-leading 45th win this year. It was the 300th tour-level victory of Pegula’s career, and it snapped Swiatek’s 10-match winning streak.


Pegula’s best finish in Cincinnati came in 2024, when she lost to Aryna Sabalenka in the final.


Gauff, the 2023 champion, beat Bejlek, 6-4, 6-1. The 20-year-old Czech upset top seed Aryna Sabalenka and Madison Keys en route to the semis.

Advertisement

 


The last time two American women played in the Cincinnati final was in 1970, when Rosie Casals beat Nancy Richey.


“I’m always rooting for American tennis,” Pegula said. “I like to play someone that I get along with and have a lot of respect for, like Coco. I didn’t realize it was so long since we’ve had a double American final. The crowd can just go out there and enjoy the match.” 
Tiafoe and Fils to meet in men’s final 
On the men’s side, Frances Tiafoe defeated fellow American Brandon Nakashima, 7-5, 6-3, to set up a final against Arthur Fils of France.


It will be the first time two Black players have met in an ATP Masters 1000 final.

Advertisement


Sunday’s winner will be the third Black man to win a Masters 1000 title, joining Ben Shelton, who won Canada twice, and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who won Paris in 2008 and Canada in 2014.


“It’s awesome for, you know, for a bunch of kids looking up to us and want to be in our position,” Tiafoe said. “That’s what it’s about. It’s always nice to be a part of history. Hopefully we can have more big finals like this having people of color, and I’m super pumped about it.” 
Tiafoe reached the 2024 final in Cincinnati, losing to Jannik Sinner in three sets.


Fils defeated 10th-ranked Flavio Cobolli, 6-3, 6-4, on Saturday. He became the second French player to reach the Cincinnati final, joining Guy Forget in 1991.


The 22-year-old beat Tiafoe in three sets last year in Miami, in their only prior meeting.

Advertisement


“Frances is Frances,” Fils said. “I mean, whenever he has to show up on the big stage that’s where he plays his best. It’s going to be a nice final to play against an American, so the crowd’s going to be against me, but I think I’m going to enjoy it.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Heartbreak for India as Australia advance to semifinals after goalless Hockey World Cup draw | Hockey News

Published

on

Heartbreak for India as Australia advance to semifinals after goalless Hockey World Cup draw
India vs Australia Hockey (Photo by HI)

India’s FIH Women’s Hockey World Cup 2026 campaign came to a heartbreaking end as Australia held them to a 0-0 draw and advanced to the semifinals on Sunday. With the result, Australia progressed by virtue of having scored more goals in the pool, while India will now play for fifth place.Australia started strongly and appeared to take the lead in the second minute through Grace Stewart, but India immediately reviewed the goal for dangerous play. The referral went India’s way and the goal was ruled out.The Hockeyroos continued to control possession and created several opportunities, forcing Bichu Devi and Savita into important saves. India also struggled to retain the ball during the opening stages, although they gradually settled into the contest.Australia earned penalty corners but failed to convert, while India’s defence repeatedly managed to clear the danger. The first half ended goalless, despite India earning a penalty corner with just 21 seconds remaining.

India push for winner, but Australia hold firm

India came out with greater intensity after the break and began pressing Australia higher up the pitch. However, the Hockeyroos remained dangerous on the counter and continued to test the Indian defence.Australia thought they had finally broken the deadlock in the 40th minute when Kershaw found the net, but another review ruled that the ball had struck an Indian defender’s arm, making the goal illegal.The final quarter became increasingly tense. India created a promising opportunity when Navneet and Lalremsiami found themselves in the centre of the circle but failed to coordinate their attempt.Australia then earned further penalty corners, but India’s first rusher and goalkeeper Bichu Devi stood firm. Colwill’s drag-flick was blocked, while another Australian referral was rejected.With time running out, India removed Bichu Devi and brought on Deepika as an additional outfield player in a final attempt to find the winner. Australia, however, managed the closing stages smartly, keeping possession near the corners and running down the clock.The final whistle confirmed a 0-0 draw. Australia advanced to the semifinals, while India’s hopes of ending their 51-year wait for a World Cup semifinal appearance came to an end.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pembrey’s connections ponder Princess Series or The Everest in 2026

Published

on

The connections of the filly Pembrey are contemplating a significant decision: pursue a rare clean sweep of the Princess Series or aim for the lucrative The Everest.

This strategic choice comes after Pembrey’s breathtaking display of sustained speed in the Group 2 $300,000 Silver Shadow Stakes (1200m) at Royal Randwick on Saturday, where she decisively defeated her rivals.

Pembrey demonstrated superior speed and class, winning by more than two lengths while easing down, still clocking a very fast 1m 08.74s on a soft 5 track.

Trainer Tony Gollan revealed his initial plan was to target the Princess Series, culminating in the Group 1 $750,000 Flight Stakes (1600m) at Royal Randwick on October 3.

Advertisement

However, the filly’s brilliant return has now positioned her as a contender for the Group 1 $20 million The TAB Everest (1200m) at the same track, two weeks after the Flight Stakes.

“I haven’t really thought about The Everest to be honest,” Gollan admitted. “But I would think about anything with her.

“I will let the dust settle on this and my plan has been the Princess Series as I have been keen to get her to 1400m.

“But anything is an option although would I want a three-year-old filly to take on the good horse from Hong Kong (Ka Ying Rising), probably not.

Advertisement

“But the (owners) Kia Ora team will have their opinion and we will look at all the facts and figures. I do know she is very talented.”‘”

Pembrey ($4.40) immediately took the lead and maintained a strong gallop, finishing two-and-a-half lengths clear of the fast-finishing Bangkok Hottie ($6), with Global Goal ($14) a length further back in third. Those following online bookmakers saw Pembrey deliver a dominant performance at a rewarding price.

Jockey James McDonald’s post-race comment, possibly made in jest, also suggested The Everest as a possibility.

“Give her a slot (in The Everest),” McDonald said. “She was exceptional.

Advertisement

“She showed great sustained speed, and to be able to quicken off that, that’s impressive.”‘”

McDonald highlighted Pembrey’s ability to secure the lead without pressure as a key factor in her impressive win and the rapid time recorded.

“This race is always the same,” he noted. “They all get their position, they’re all looking after them for the next one and we always go slower in these sort of lead up type of races.”

“For her to be in a good spot and be able to quicken off it, it’s pretty impressive. Hats off to Tony, it was a good effort.”‘”

Advertisement

If Gollan proceeds with Plan A, the Princess Series encompasses the Silver Shadow Stakes, followed by the Furious Stakes (1200m), Tea Rose Stakes (1400m), and the Flight Stakes (1600m).

Historically, only two fillies have achieved a perfect record in the series: Samantha Miss in 2008 and Angst in 1993.

Pembrey showcased considerable promise last season, including a win in the Group 3 Magic Night Stakes, though she did not perform as well in the Golden Slipper behind Guest House. She now appears poised to reach a new level this season.

“She has given us a really good feel at home but as all of us trainers know when they show that good two-year-old form they come back at three with all these expectations, you want to see them do it on raceday,” Gollan commented.

Advertisement

“It was great to have James (McDonald, jockey) booked on her two or three weeks ago which was a big help to me and she has had a faultless preparation.

“I think when we get her out to 1400m she will be just as effective.

“I want to follow the Princess Series as long as her form holds up and she keeps on improving on what we have seen today.”‘”

While the Princess Series presents a clear objective, the massive prize money of The Everest cannot be ignored. Consider the latest racing odds at sports betting platforms.

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

49ers activate TE George Kittle (Achilles) off PUP list

Published

on

Aug 20, 2026; Inglewood, California, USA; San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle leaves the field after the game against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn ImagesAug 20, 2026; Inglewood, California, USA; San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle leaves the field after the game against the Los Angeles Chargers at SoFi Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

The San Francisco 49ers activated star tight end George Kittle from the physically unable to perform list on Sunday.

The move represents a significant step forward in his recovery from a torn right Achilles sustained on Jan. 11 in the 49ers’ 23-19 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in an NFC wild-card game.

Had Kittle remained on PUP list through the Aug. 30 roster cutdown day, he would not have been eligible to play for San Francisco until Week 5. Now, Kittle has a chance to suit up for the 49ers when they begin the NFL season against the Los Angeles Rams on Sept. 10 in Melbourne, Australia.

Kittle, 32, had 57 receptions for 628 yards and seven touchdowns in 11 games last season.

Advertisement

The seven-time Pro Bowl selection has 595 career catches for 8,008 yards and 52 touchdowns in 124 games with San Francisco. He has four 1,000-yard seasons.

–Field Level Media

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Alex Eala won’t change approach, even in rich US Open

Published

on

Alex Eala Alexandra Eala US Open Grand Slam tennisAlex Eala Alexandra Eala US Open Grand Slam tennis

Alexandra Eala, of the Philippines, reacts during a match against Belinda Bencic, of Switzerland, during a round of 16 match at the National Bank Open tennis tournament in Toronto, on Sunday, Aug. 9, 2026. (Keito Newman/The Canadian Press via AP)

No matter how the draw turns out, Alex Eala could be headed for a windfall at the US Open as she participates in two of the events, with a record payout for the tournament at the Flushing Meadows in Queens, New York.

That will be the farthest thing in the mind of the Filipino superstar, however, as she sticks to what has been a successful routine for her so far.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

“I kind of go with the flow,” Eala told journalists when asked if she prepares differently depending on where she is playing. “I think at the end of the day, [they have] the same lines [on the court] and it’s the same size ball.”

READ: Alex Eala begins US Open training at Arthur Ashe Stadium

“So if I guess, of course, each city brings [something different] and the crowds, especially, bring different energy, But when you’re on court and you know what you have to do, nothing changes much.”

Eala will be on the court a lot more than usual as she guns for her first singles Grand Slam title and battles some of the biggest names in the sport when she teams up with Canadian ace Felix Auger-Aliassime in mixed doubles.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

Auger-Aliassime has expressed excitement over the chance to experience the kind of atmosphere Eala brings into games, as the 21-year-old standout has been the most popular player on the women’s tour for quite some time now.

READ: Alex Eala slowly becoming more versatile, complete player

“It’s a great opportunity to kind of feel what it’s like to have that Eala effect and her fanbase behind me,” Auger-Aliassime said.

Advertisement
Article continues after this advertisement

“It’s kinda funny because she’s younger than me, but I feel like she has the fan base and she’s carrying the crowd,” he added. “So it’s going to be interesting.”

Eala will be seeded into the singles draw, where the champion will get a top prize of $5.5 million (roughly P339 million).

Making it to the round of 16, like she did at Wimbledon earlier this year, would guarantee $480,000 (about P30 million).

Advertisement

The top prize in mixed doubles is $1 million (around P62 million).

The draw for the mixed doubles was being held at press time, while the singles draw will take place on Friday, with Eala expected to be at the upper half of the seed bracket because of her world ranking.



Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.
Advertisement

With the US Open sitting on one of the biggest Filipino communities in New York, the tournament is expected to provide another showcase of Eala’s drawing power.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Kristin Juszczyk serves modeling opportunity to DeVonta Smith’s, Sam Darnold’s wives in her ‘Offseason’ brand’s Fall campaign: WATCH

Published

on

San Francisco 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk’s wife, Kristin Juszczyk, made a big announcement on her Instagram Story on Sunday.

In the Instagram Reel, Kristin introduced four NFL players’ partners one by one. Each woman wore officially licensed NFL clothes from different teams.

Parker Henry, the wife of Patriots tight end Hunter Henry, wore a New England-themed top.

Katie Darnold, the wife of Seahawks quarterback Sam Darnold, wore a blue Seattle Seahawks top with jeans.

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Eagles star DeVonta Smith‘s wife, Mya Danielle, also appeared in the video. She wore a green patterned top, which is the Eagles’ signature color.

Advertisement

Detroit Lions running back Jahmyr Gibbs’ girlfriend, Nicole Madison, wore a white Lions shirt with black shorts.

At the end of the clip, the four women collectively stated, “I am wearing Off Season.”

Advertisement

Kristin later shared the video on her Instagram Story and wrote a sweet message about the campaign.

“Together We Are Fans. 🏈🤍,” she wrote. “One of my favorite things about football has always been the way it brings people together. Different teams, different cities, different stories — but a shared love for the game.”

She added:

“Over the years, the NFL has brought so many incredible women into my life, and I’ve learned that while we may be rooting for different teams on Sundays, we share so much more than we realize.”

Kristin continued:

“That’s what this campaign is about. The friendships, the community, and the connections that exist far beyond the field. Because sports have this incredible power to turn…”

Source: (Via Instagram/ @kristinjuszczyk)Source: (Via Instagram/ @kristinjuszczyk)
Source: (Via Instagram/ @kristinjuszczyk)

Kristin also showed some love to the women in the campaign in the comments section of the original video.

“I just love you girls!!! ❤️❤️,” she wrote while tagging Parker, Katie, Mya and Nicole.

Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)
Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)

The first part of the NFL Fall ’26 collection will be released on Aug. 26 at 9 a.m. PT/12 p.m. ET.

Kristin Juszczyk’s “Off Season” apparel brand launched in January 2025. It was created as a luxury sports fashion collaboration between fashion designer Kristin Juszczyk, Skims co-founder Emma Grede, the NFL and Fanatics.

Advertisement

Drake Maye’s wife Ann Michael reacts to Kristin Juszczyk’s latest ‘Off Season’ campaign

After Kristin Juszczyk’s brand, “Off Season,” rolled out its latest promotional campaign, New England Patriots QB Drake Maye’s wife, Ann Michael Maye, shared her enthusiasm.

“Hiiiiii girls” she commented and added laughing-with-tears emojis.

She followed up with another comment declaring,

“This is awesome ❤️”.

Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)
Source: (Via Instagram/ @offseasonbrand)

Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes’ wife, Brittany, also liked the campaign.

Also Read: Bo Nix’s wife Izzy reveals raw emotions as Broncos QB returns from grueling 6-month rehab to 33-13 loss to Packers in preseason

Zach Wilson’s wife Nicolette reveals newborn baby Frankie Belle’s face 1 day after Saints’ 34-0 loss to Rams

Advertisement