Connect with us

Sports

Man United sent clear next manager verdict for ‘big personality’ that Roy Keane loves

Published

on

Diego Simeone has again been recommended to Manchester United with club legend Roy Keane still eager to have him as head coach

Manchester United have once more been urged to appoint Diego Simeone as their permanent manager ahead of Michael Carrick. Roy Keane is amongst the pundits who have expressed strong admiration for the Atletico Madrid boss, with United’s iconic midfielder believing he would bring “good havoc” to the club.

Carrick, by contrast, has arguably taken a completely different approach, focusing on the fundamentals, with United appearing significantly improved compared to their performances under Ruben Amorim. Whilst he was only brought in as interim manager until the end of the season, Carrick has positioned himself strongly to potentially remain in charge beyond that point.

Advertisement

A fifth straight win was the aim last Tuesday night, but United had to settle for a draw against West Ham following victories over Manchester City, Arsenal, Fulham and Tottenham. Meanwhile, United have been linked with several managers, including England boss Thomas Tuchel.

A contract extension for the 52-year-old, announced earlier this week, is anticipated to see interest from Old Trafford diminish. Carlo Ancelotti, Luis Enrique and Julian Nagelsmann are amongst other top-tier candidates being discussed, with Simeone’s name continuing to feature prominently.

FOLLOW OUR MAN UNITED FB PAGE!** Latest news and analysis via the MEN’s Manchester United Facebook page**

Former Premier League midfielder Andy Townsend is the latest to back him for the role. Speaking to Boylesports, he said: “I think you have to be looking for an elite manager, someone that has dealt with the very biggest players and personalities and has handled pressure from above and the terraces

Advertisement

“I don’t think Antonio Conte would be the right fit. Out of all of them, the one manager I would like to see at United is Diego Simeone.”

“I think his football and the way his Atletico Madrid team have played is kind of more suited to the Premier League. I don’t think his style of play would please the United fans. They want something more flamboyant.

“But at the moment, United need to get back on level terms with the likes of City and Liverpool and try to get ahead of Arsenal, I don’t think you want someone who’s talking about the beautiful game.

“You need someone who is prepared to put massive demands on the players on a consistent basis and drag performances and victories out of them. Only Simeone has those qualities.”

Advertisement

Despite advocating for Simeone as the club’s new permanent head coach, Townsend was quick to commend the work Carrick and his coaching staff have accomplished over the past month.

He admitted: “I think Michael Carrick has done a really good job since he’s come in. Some of the decisions he’s made have been very straightforward, like playing Kobbie Mainoo. He’s been naming unchanged starting line-ups and that’s never a bad thing.

“If you’ve got a winning team, don’t change it. Too many managers rotate players when their team’s been on a good run. All of a sudden, they’re giving this player a game, that player a game, but when you have a winning team, and they look like they’re enjoying things, just roll with it.

Advertisement

“Keep going. Live in that moment. Suddenly, you’re five games unbeaten as United are. There’s a simplicity and an effectiveness to what Michael has done and he’s doing it in an understated manner.”

Keane has recently performed a notable U-turn regarding the possibility of handing Carrick the permanent role, though he’s already made it abundantly clear who he’d prefer to see take over from Amorim.

“I’ve said it for years, I’d like to see Atletico Madrid’s Simeone, I’d like to see him go in there,” he stated on Stick to Football back in October.

“I know his mate’s [Andrea Berta, sporting director] gone to Arsenal, but I think he would just create havoc, but good havoc.

Advertisement

“I think he’d rock up to that place and say, ‘This is how you do things.’ No guarantee, but I’d just like to see his personality, and his track record..”

Keane continued: “People might think styles of football, they beat Real Madrid, they scored five last weekend. This idea that he’s defensive… Yeah, he doesn’t like his team giving up too many goals or chances, but they can play a bit.

“Liverpool a few weeks ago [3-2 defeat], the team aren’t as great as they were a few years ago but there’s still that fighting spirit. He’s on the sideline causing… He got sent off that night [against Liverpool], didn’t he? I’d like a big personality.”

Advertisement

Recent weeks have brought contrasting fortunes for Simeone’s Atletico, with a contentious 4-0 Copa del Rey semi-final victory over Barcelona sandwiched between losses to Real Betis and Rayo Vallecano.

The recent La Liga match resulted in a 3-0 loss for Atletico, with points lost against Levante late last month leaving them trailing leaders Real by 15 points.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

2026 Olympics: France tie all-time medal record with 1 week left

Published

on


France have earned their 15th medal at Milano Cortina, tying their all-time winter Olympic record.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Where does Anthony Kim’s win rank in recent golf history?

Published

on

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Australian Open 2026 prize money: What men’s singles finalists earn | Other Sports News

Published

on


The Australian Open 2026 reached its conclusion today with in the marquee men’s singles final at the iconic Rod Laver Arena on Saturday Carlos Alcaraz beat Novak Djokovic 2-6, 6-2, 6-3 and 7-5 to win his maiden Australian open title. The season-opening Grand Slam has delivered high-quality tennis over the past fortnight, and the final promises a fitting finale between two of the sport’s biggest stars.

 

Before the tournament began, Tennis Australia announced a record USD 75 million prize pool for Australian Open 2026 — a 16 per cent increase from last year’s USD 63 million. Singles players are among the biggest beneficiaries of the hike, with champions set to earn 18.57 per cent more than in 2025, while doubles champions receive an 11.11 per cent increase compared to last season. 

 

 

Advertisement


Here is a detailed look at the men’s singles prize money distribution for Australian Open 2026.


Australian Open 2026: Prize money for men’s singles winners


The winner of the men’s singles final Carlos Alcaraz will take home USD 2.79 million, reflecting the increased prize pool this year. The runner-up Novaj Djokovic will not leave empty-handed either, earning USD 1.45 million for finishing second after an impressive campaign at Melbourne Park.


Australian Open 2026: Prize money for men’s singles semi-finalists


The two players who bowed out at the semi-final stage — Jannik Sinner and Alexander Zverev — will each receive USD 840,000. Sinner pushed Djokovic in a five-set battle before losing, while Zverev fell short against Alcaraz in another hard-fought encounter.


Australian Open 2026: Prize money for men’s singles quarter-finalists


Reaching the last eight also comes with a substantial reward. Quarter-finalists Alex de Minaur, Learner Tien, Lorenzo Musetti, and Ben Shelton will each earn USD 500,000 for their efforts at the tournament.

Advertisement


Australian Open 2026: Prize money for men’s singles round 1 to round 4


Players eliminated in the fourth round will receive USD 322,000 for their campaigns. Those knocked out in the third round take home USD 220,000, while second-round exits earn USD 151,000. Even first-round losers are assured a healthy payout, with USD 101,000 awarded to all players who featured in the men’s singles main draw at Australian Open 2026.

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Mike Tyson says 2 men stand above the rest as the greatest heavyweights ever

Published

on

Boxing fans regularly debate who they believe to be the greatest heavyweights of all time and now boxing legend Mike Tyson has weighed in himself with his own verdict.

Tyson is often mentioned in those debates, after establishing himself as ‘The Baddest Man On The Planet’ during a ferocious run throughout the 1980s.

He became the youngest world heavyweight champion in history, and later secured undisputed status, claiming knockout wins over fighters such as Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks along the way.

Advertisement

A shock defeat to Buster Douglas ended his title reign, and while he would become champion again, further losses to the likes of Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis somewhat diminish Tyson’s claim to be one of the best ever.

It would appear that ‘Iron Mike’ disagrees though, as when asked on The Big Podcast With Shaq who he thinks are the two best ever, Tyson placed just one name above his own.

“Muhammad Ali then me.”

Tyson then insisted that the majority of the general public would agree with his placement.

“If you put up some stats or something, ask the world. Not one guy — 10 guys. Ask the world.”

It comes as no surprise to see Tyson rank Ali above himself as the number one heavyweight ever, with the Louisville-native living up to his iconic nickname of ‘The Greatest.’

Advertisement

He has a record which stacks up against any other heavyweight throughout history, earning wins over fellow greats such as George Foreman and Joe Frazier, and there would be very few boxing fans that would argue about Ali being viewed as the best of all time.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

NFL Players from Valor Christian H.S. (Highlands Ranch, CO)

Published

on




NFL Players from Valor Christian H.S. (Highlands Ranch, CO) | SuperWest Sports





















Advertisement





Advertisement












Advertisement














Advertisement




Advertisement

Here’s an up-to-date list of all NFL Players from Valor Christian High School in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

The list includes only those players who have played in an NFL game.

See where it ranks among other schools in the state here.

NFL Players from Valor Christian HS
Advertisement



Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

I think he often goes under the radar

Published

on

Former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan has lauded Shivam Dube for his fine cameo in the T20 World Cup 2026 match against Pakistan. The contest was played on Sunday, February 15, at the R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Asked to bat first, India posted 175/7, with Ishan Kishan top-scoring with a brilliant 77 off 40 balls, while Shivam Dube contributed a valuable 27 off 17, including three fours and a six. In response, the Men in Green were bowled out for 114 in 18 overs, falling short by 61 runs.

Speaking in a video on his YouTube channel after the game, Pathan said that Dube often goes under the radar, having delivered under pressure in the past, including the T20 World Cup 2024 and the Asia Cup 2025 final. The 41-year-old also highlighted the southpaw’s exceptional hitting ability, saying:

“There is another batsman who played really well, someone who often goes under the radar and doesn’t get much attention. In the Asia Cup final, it was Shivam Dube; in the World Cup final, Shivam Dube; and here as well, against Pakistan, he came in towards the end and played a quick cameo.”

“It took him a little time, about 9-10 balls, to get set for the big shots, but after that, he played a quick, effective innings before getting run out. I think he often goes under the radar, but his hitting ability is absolutely tremendous. Overall, by the time the team reached 175, the match was essentially over because the Pakistani batting lineup didn’t have enough firepower,” he added.

Pathan also praised skipper Suryakumar Yadav, who scored 32 off 29 balls, noting that he came in with a proper game plan against Usman Tariq and played a solid innings. Pathan said:

“Suryakumar Yadav’s batting also stood out because it seemed like he was taking a long pause against Tariq. Generally, he tends to show a bit of initial movement, like stepping forward slightly at the time of release, and then adjusting his front or back foot later to play the shot. But if you watch the highlights of Usman Tariq’s bowling, it was very clear.”

“While Suryakumar was batting, his feet hardly moved. Even after the pause, he was waiting patiently, and at the time of release, both his feet remained still. It was very clear that his planning worked perfectly. Suryakumar played a really good innings, especially the shots he played between long-on and mid-wicket. Top-quality batting. That kind of batting was exactly what was needed,” he added.

Meanwhile, the emphatic win ensured that India secured their place in the Super 8s.


“Our Indian team’s bowling is really strong” – Irfan Pathan heaps praise on the Men in Blue attack

In the same video, Irfan Pathan also asserted that India has a strong bowling attack, which was on full display against Pakistan. He highlighted Hardik Pandya dismissing Sahibzada Farhan in the first over, followed by Jasprit Bumrah removing Saim Ayub and Salman Agha in the next. While praising the Indian bowlers, Pathan also expressed puzzlement over Pakistan captain’s approach, saying:

Advertisement

“Our Indian team’s bowling is really strong, very sharp, and it was clearly visible when they came on to bowl. In the first over Hardik dismissed Sahibzada Farhan. He tried to play a cross-batted shot on a length ball, but the ball hung in the air. Then Jasprit Bumrah straight away, goes for the yorker, delivers a sharp in-swinging yorker, gets the LBW, and then comes Salman Ali Agha.”

“As a captain, I didn’t understand his approach. When two wickets have fallen, you need to consolidate a bit, but he went after Bumrah with big shots. And what happened? Within two overs, three wickets went down, including the captain, playing poor shots. This approach didn’t make sense. The score wasn’t even over 200,” he added.

India will now return to action on Wednesday, February 18, when they take on the Netherlands in their final Group A game in Ahmedabad.