Connect with us

Sports

Nick Kyrgios admits ‘huge mistake’ after failing test for cocaine

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios tests positive for cocaineNick Kyrgios tests positive for cocaine

(FILES) Nick Kyrgios gestures as he and Thanasi Kokkinakis of Australia play in their men’s doubles match against Matthew Ebden of Australia and Rajeev Ram of the US at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane on January 4, 2026. (Photo by Patrick HAMILTON / AFP)

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios said on Wednesday he had made “a huge mistake” after he was provisionally suspended for testing positive for cocaine.

The 31-year-old, who reached the final at Wimbledon in 2022, failed a doping test during an ATP event in Mallorca on June 22.

Article continues after this advertisement

“On 17 July 2026, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine,” the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said.

Advertisement

READ: Nick Kyrgios does not know what comes after Australian Open

Kyrgios, whose undoubted talent has been overshadowed by a suspect temperament and injuries, wrote on Instagram that he took “full responsibility.”

“I made a huge mistake,” he wrote.

“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

“I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

Boasting a big serve and booming ground strokes, Kyrgios has won seven singles titles on the ATP Tour and rose to a high of 13 in the world in 2016.

His finest performance was on the grass at Wimbledon in 2022, when he reached the championship match, losing in four sets to Novak Djokovic.

Article continues after this advertisement
Advertisement

READ: Nick Kyrgios admitted to psychiatric hospital after 2019 Wimbledon loss

Despite his natural talents, that is as good as it got, with a series of injuries taking their toll.

He is now ranked 919 and has barely played in singles tennis in recent years. His most recent high-profile on-court appearance was his ‘Battle of the Sexes’ exhibition match against women’s world number one Aryna Sabalenka late last year.

In January, he admitted he would never be the player that he once was.

Kyrgios is one of the few players to have recorded tour-level wins over the “Big Four” of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Djokovic and Andy Murray.

Advertisement

But the success on court came with huge problems off it, including severe injuries to his right elbow, left wrist, hip, knees, shoulders and collarbone.

He has had numerous surgeries, the most serious a complete reconstruction of his right wrist in 2024.

On Wednesday, he said that the injuries had taken “a huge toll on me both physically and mentally”.

“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to to face,” Kyrgios added.

Advertisement

“None of that excuses what I did,” he said of his failed test.

“However the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call.”

He added: “I’m sorry, I’ll do the work and come back better.”

The ITIA said that the suspension had been in place since August 4.

Advertisement


Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.


Your subscription has been successful.

It said: “While suspended, Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.”

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Rory McIlroy keeps BMW Championship hopes alive with strong third round

Published

on

Rory McIlroy pulled himself back into contention at the BMW Championship with a strong finish for a five-under-par third round in St Louis, leaving him five behind leader Wyndham Clark.

McIlroy has been looking for a response after labouring to an eight-over finish at last week’s St Jude Championship, and shot a fine six-under opening round for a share of the lead, before following that up with a 69 on Friday.

The back-to-back Masters champion again appeared in steady form during the front nine on Saturday, turning at one under after a birdie on the par-three second before another on 11.

World number two McIlroy then stepped things up with a run of four birdies from the 13th, sandwiched by a bogey at the 14th.

The Northern Irishman found both bunkers with his opening two shots on the 18th, but then almost chipped in with a fine recovery effort before saving par.

Advertisement

McIlroy finished the day at 12 under, looking to keep pace with Clark, who dropped his first shots of the tournament with a double bogey on the opening hole before an eagle at the eighth and a strong back nine saw him finish with a 65, having failed to save par on the last.

“I think I needed to be patient the last three days, because my game has been good in parts, but then it has been a struggle in other ways,” McIlroy told reporters.

“I didn’t hit my first fairway today until the 10th hole, playing this golf course from the rough isn’t fun, but I hung in there, my short game saved me a couple of times and I got some momentum coming in.

Wyndham Clark again set the pace at the top of the leaderboard(Jeff Roberson/AP)
Wyndham Clark again set the pace at the top of the leaderboard(Jeff Roberson/AP) (AP)

“I am in a good spot going into tomorrow in terms of where I am at on the leaderboard, but it’s going to take a heroic effort from one of us to catch Wyndham.”

Patrick Cantlay is alongside McIlroy at 12 under, with Chris Gotterup a shot further back alongside Gary Woodland, who dropped back after a 70.

Advertisement

JJ Spaun also saw his challenge fade after a two-over round.

World number one Scottie Scheffler – who had coasted to an impressive victory at last week’s St Jude Championship, but was two over after a first-round 72 – sits in a group on five under after his 68.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz to Team Up at US Open

Published

on

Serena Williams and Carlos Alcaraz will team up in mixed doubles at the US Open, creating one of the most exciting pairings of the tournament.

The two tennis stars will compete together in the US Open mixed doubles championship, bringing together Williams’ legendary experience and Alcaraz’s explosive modern game.

For Williams, the event marks a highly anticipated return to the US Open, while Alcaraz will have the opportunity to share the court with one of the greatest players in tennis history.

  • Iga Świątek continues Cincinnati run with Straight-Sets win over Diane ParryIga Świątek continues Cincinnati run with Straight-Sets win over Diane Parry

Advertisement

The partnership has already generated huge excitement among tennis fans, with the combination of Williams and Alcaraz expected to be one of the biggest attractions of the mixed doubles competition.

With two generations of tennis greatness joining forces, all eyes will be on the pair when they take the court in New York.

 

Advertisement

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

VT Chats with Carson Wentz about Joint Practices, J.J. McCarthy, and the Veteran’s Role in 2026

Published

on

Advertisement

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles at Minnesota Vikings
Oct 19, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Vikings quarterback Carson Wentz (11) runs the ball during the second half against the Philadelphia Eagles at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Rempel-Imagn Images

Lately, Carson Wentz has been earning praise. The wily veteran is second-to-none in his toughness even if he’s not the athlete he once was.

After practice yesterday, Vikings Territory got a chance to chat with Mr. Wentz for a few minutes. Doing so gave us a chance to discuss how joint practices went, what he has seen in J.J. McCarthy, and how he understands his job with the Vikings going into 2026.

Carson Wentz Says Much in a Few Minutes

“You never know what tomorrow brings for anybody.” That was a key sentiment coming from the chat with Carson Wentz.

Advertisement

I wanted to know about what he has observed in J.J. McCarthy getting bumped down to QB2. “I think he’s handled it well,” the veteran began. “It’s a tough business. It’s a tough league, tough business, tough with media, the pressure, all the things that come with it.” Wentz then hastened to add that “the story is far from written for him, for Kyler, for myself.”

“I think he’s gotten better since I got here, I’ve seen it firsthand,” Wentz explained. Partnering improvement with a player’s readiness and the NFL’s unpredictability means that the young lad shouldn’t be discounted.

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles at Minnesota Vikings
Oct 19, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Vikings quarterback Carson Wentz (11) warms up before the game against the Philadelphia Eagles at U.S. Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Brad Rempel-Imagn Images

Pivoting off that, I asked Wentz about how he understands his own role on the team.

His answer in full: “Great question. It’s help the team however I can. Stay ready, whatever that looks like. Yeah, at the end of the day it’s why I signed here is to, if my number gets called, I’m confident in what I can do and what I can bring to the table within this system especially. So we’ll see how it all shakes out.”

Advertisement

In 2025, Carson Wentz went 2-3 as the Vikings’ starter. He completed a very healthy 65.1% of his passes for 1,216 yards, 6 touchdowns, and 5 interceptions. Part of the reason for not seeing more promising production was due to injury.

Wentz could have signed somewhere else. He liked the chance to do good things with the Vikings. “It’s just somewhere I thought if my number did get called,” Wentz explained, “I’d feel that I have success.” Shortly thereafter, Wentz lamented his injury, calling it a “bummer” while wondering aloud where things would have gone without getting hurt.

As it relates to joint practices, Wentz indicated that mixing things up in practice was refreshing. Essentially every player says as much but that’s likely because it’s true. Going against different players who play within a different scheme is refreshing.

Carson Wentz and Justin Jefferson walk off the field at halftime during a Vikings game at U.S. Bank Stadium.
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Carson Wentz (11) and wide receiver Justin Jefferson (18) head toward the locker room at halftime on Sep 21, 2025 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. The veteran quarterback and star receiver remained central figures as Minnesota evaluated its offensive direction during a season filled with transition. Mandatory Credit: Jeffrey Becker-Imagn Images.

The Minnesota Vikings want to proceed through the 2026 season with Carson Wentz as the QB3. Seeing that become a reality will mean that some key things have happened.

First, Kyler Murray and/or J.J. McCarthy have been healthy enough to shoulder the burden of starting. Neither could be described as being the NFL’s version of Cal Ripken. Fingers crossed that both remain healthy but that’s far from a guarantee.

Advertisement

Second, Kyler Murray and/or J.J. McCarthy played well enough to remain as the starting QB. Minnesota is desperate for a franchise passer. The current plan is to let Murray prove he’s that guy but McCarthy would be the next man up.

Having Wentz on the roster means boasting a passer with great size and better athleticism than a lot of mid-30s QBs. He has demonstrated a good connection with Justin Jefferson and will inspire belief in his teammates. The Vikings could win with him.

NFL: Minnesota Vikings at New York Giants
Aug 15, 2026; East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA; Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kyler Murray (1) and quarterback Carson Wentz (11) warms up before the game against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-Imagn Images – Credit: IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

In the 2016 NFL Draft, Carson Wentz was chosen at No. 2 by the Philadelphia Eagles. He has since played for the Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Commanders, Indianapolis Colts, Los Angeles Rams, Kansas City Chiefs, and Minnesota Vikings.

The passer is 33.


avatar

Senior Editor for Vikings Territory & PurplePTSD . Twitter & Bluesky: @VikingsGazette. Email: k.joudry[at]vikingsterritory[dot]com. Canadian. Jude 1:24-25.

Advertisement

Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

RG III puts Todd Monken under the pump after Deshaun Watson’s disastrous outing vs. Bills

Published

on

The Cleveland Browns got a poor performance out of Deshaun Watson on Saturday, and a former player is blunt about what it should mean.

Against the Buffalo Bills, the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback had a putrid performance in relief of Shedeur Sanders in the second half, covering only 36 yards on 5-of-12 passing and being intercepted once by Te’Cory Couch en route to a 7-31 loss:

In the aftermath of that game, Robert Griffin III, who played with the Browns in 2016, gave this blunt takeaway for head coach Todd Monken:

Looking to predict NFL playoff Scenarios? Try our NFL Playoff Predictor for real-time simulations and stay ahead of the game!

Advertisement

“The Browns should start Shedeur Sanders.”

The Browns should start Shedeur Sanders.

He then added shortly after:

“The Browns absolutely screwed their QB competition up.”

The Browns absolutely screwed their QB competition up.

Sharing his sentiment was Ben Axelrod, writer for Front Office Sports:

Advertisement

I mean, the Browns simply cannot name Deshaun Watson the starting quarterback after this.

Watson was also the subject of heavy boos during the game, but he insinuated that they were not related to his play during the post-game press conference:

“I didn’t have no reaction. I think the whole world knows it has nothing to do about the performance. It’s a little bit [more] personal than that. I think that’s a disrespectful thing. I’m gonna keep whatever I feel with me and my family internally with how I feel about that and move on.”

youtube-cover

ALSO READ: “Zero reason you would start Deshaun Watson over Shedeur Sanders”: NFL analyst serves reality check to Todd Monken after Browns’ preseason game

ALSO READ: Deshaun Watson’s wife Jilly Anais shows off game day outfit during Q3 as Browns QB gets booed by Cleveland fans

Advertisement

Shedeur Sanders rues Browns fans booing Deshaun Watson during rout vs. Bills

Speaking of the boos Deshaun Watson received from Browns fans, he received a defense from a surprising source.

Shedeur Sanders, who started the game against the Bills, finished with nine completions for 74 yards and a touchdown to Luke Floriea against an interception to Damar Hamlin. After the game, he expressed disappointment in how the fans reacted to the game from the stands:

“Regardless of competition, we’re all human beings. I think we all need to understand that. In this room too, we’re all humans. I don’t do things to humans that I wouldn’t want done to me. I don’t like making people feel uncomfortable in different spaces, and that’s why, even in daily things I do, I try to make sure everybody’s comfortable.”

He continued:

“However you feel about the situation with Deshaun and everything, I think it’s more about a bigger purpose and it’s respect. It’s a respect thing that I feel should be there, because we’re all out there trying to do our best and serve the franchise the best way possible. We’re going out there to win games, doing everything we can.”

The Browns end their preseason this coming Thursday against the New England Patriots. Kickoff is at 8 p.m. ET.

Advertisement